Your reaction if Nintendo went third-party.

CastletonSnob

I would be disappointed simply because it would introduce more risk into their development efforts. The extent to which they are vertically integrated is foundational to their development philosophy (patience, extremely high quality control, a willingness to experiment), and developing in a third party environment would change that.

57 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Better question: what if Sony went third party?

Also, the reason this isn't a better question is because of the Nintendo Hardware. Nintendo hardware is weak. Modern games take massive hits when ported to the switch. Hell, last gen games can barely run on the switch. It is amazing how Bethesda and Id got games working on the switch. But I don't see any world where God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, or Uncharted 4 make it onto the Switch. And even if they did they would look subpar. The Witcher 3 already looks like it was ran through YouTube compression and was given the Frame Rate of Ocarina of Time. 

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

sA2COPmrfiPw7qPtpohfuqcqz7k4bevM7kp1I4WQ

I mean if you want to talk about 25 year old games (or whatever re-release one may be, I don't know the context of this shot) you can I guess, but I can't think of any 1st party release since the Wii that was lousy with bugs, glitches, lack of polish, etc. Even Breath of the Wild was nearly perfect by open-world standards. When they don't rush, their stuff is functionally flawless.

Nintendo has been repeatedly putting out shitty re-releases on the Switch and in some cases charging $60 for them.

super-mario-3d-all-stars-emulation-1.jpg
GAMERANT.COM

When Super Mario 3D All-Stars was released, many players were divided when finding that Nintendo used emulation to bring these games to the Switch.

Third-party as just a floating entity doing whatever with no guidance? Well I'd feel about the same as I do now: that there's no one there to shepherd their very high level of creativity while guiding them away from their decades of incompetence. What I mean by that is: Stuff like Wii? The Switch? Cool shit, even if I'm not personally a fan of either in the long-term. That should continue to be cultivated. But someone needs to help them do better with online play, with porting their old games forward, with making more universal accounts that don't need to be remade every time they launch a new system, etc. (We kind of got the last one recently, yay! Wait, you want a cloud save? Please pay our online fee. I think most consoles are guilty of that one though. Fucking scalpers.)

When it comes to hardware and their own first-party flagship offerings, Nintendo usually goes all out. Mario Odyssey and BotW both look great and push the system to its limits. Less so for "lesser" Nintendo games or even second-party studios. And hardware aside, the software on that hardware (i.e. the shop, the friends list, OS stuff) is so weak.

So Nintendo as a free-floating entity doesn't strike me as us suddenly getting really nice looking Nintendo games that all run well, rather than basically just Mario-related games running and looking nice, but as Nintendo now not having the advantage of their own hardware to make other developers look bad on the sole system where you can buy said games.

If, say, Microsoft bought them, that could be another story. Of course that presents its own mountain of issues, especially in the long-term when people like Phil Spencer are no longer at MS to guide them. He'd need proper successors who understand why the Xbox brand is slowly turning around from being a joke from last gen to something highly respected and whose announcements now command attention. Failing that we could easily see another Don Mattrick situation where everything falls apart because one guy joined and now leads the gaming division who fucking hates gaming.

All that aside, I honestly think the pairing would be great, because MS has no qualms about putting their games on other platforms, especially the really big ones (Minecraft?) but they also seem to leave their devs nearly completely autonomous but also offer guidance and teach them how to use the hardware available. This is the kind of help I personally think Nintendo sorely needs, even as an independent company.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Nintendo has been repeatedly putting out shitty re-releases on the Switch and in some cases charging $60 for them.

super-mario-3d-all-stars-emulation-1.jpg
GAMERANT.COM

When Super Mario 3D All-Stars was released, many players were divided when finding that Nintendo used emulation to bring these games to the Switch.

I'm referring to active and/or contemporary development.

BOTW's open world frame drops alone bring it down below "nearly perfect". I know it was improved with patches, but doesn't mean shit when it wasn't that way at launch when I played it. And from what I understand it still can't maintain a solid 30fps. 

11 minutes ago, Bacon said:

BOTW's open world frame drops alone bring it down below "nearly perfect". I know it was improved with patches, but doesn't mean shit when it wasn't that way at launch when I played it. And from what I understand it still can't maintain a solid 30fps. 

A console launch game pushed to the limits by a Wii-U game according to @Xbob42

15 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Hence the qualifier. It definitely wasn't perfect, but compared to other open-world games, it puts most developers to shame.

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Hence the qualifier. It definitely wasn't perfect, but compared to other open-world games, it puts most developers to shame.

It's not nearly perfect either tho, even compared to other open-world games. 

3 minutes ago, Chris- said:

A port is not contemporary development; those games weren't developed recently.

The part where they put it on the contemporary hardware isn't contemporary? We're not talking about the quality of the original games, we're talking specifically about the quality of the ports. 

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

The part where they put it on the contemporary hardware isn't contemporary? We're not talking about the quality of the original games, we're talking specifically about the quality of the ports. 

I am talking about the quality of the original games, that is what I have been talking about this entire time.