Your reaction if Nintendo went third-party.

CastletonSnob

I personally feel like Nintendo has lost a lot of their magic and their newest titles would be just at home on PC and Xbox. I was 100% the kind of person who thought Nintendo titles should remain on Nintendo Consoles but I no longer feel that way at all. 

35 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I personally feel like Nintendo has lost a lot of their magic and their newest titles would be just at home on PC and Xbox. I was 100% the kind of person who thought Nintendo titles should remain on Nintendo Consoles but I no longer feel that way at all. 

I have never in my entire life felt that I needed to play a specific game on a certain system and frankly I find the fact that so many people do really bizarre. Oh no I'm playing God of War with an Xbox controller! Wait, that changes literally nothing? Huh.

Just now, Xbob42 said:

I have never in my entire life felt that I needed to play a specific game on a certain system and frankly I find the fact that so many people do really bizarre. Oh no I'm playing God of War with an Xbox controller! Wait, that changes literally nothing? Huh.

Well, no one feels that way about other consoles so no duh. 

Nintendo consoles had a vibe. An atmosphere. Like man, turning on a Wii or Gamecube for the first time. It was like cumming buckets. 

200.gif

10 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Well, no one feels that way about other consoles so no duh. 

Uhh, that's not true at all. You should hear Final Fantasy fans trying the games with an Xbox controller for the first time. Same shit. People heavily associate certain franchises with certain hardware in a way that often makes no real sense.

20 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Uhh, that's not true at all. You should hear Final Fantasy fans trying the games with an Xbox controller for the first time. Same shit. People heavily associate certain franchises with certain hardware in a way that often makes no real sense.

It's just a vibe, man. Not sure how old you are or what consoles were out when you were growing up, but the first consoles to come out after I was an adult were the PS4, XB1, and Wii U. And as kid, Nintendo just hit different. Sony and MS just lacked whatever Nintendo had. Nintendo is like the Disney World to the competition's Cedar Point. Doesn't really matter if you can feel it or not when many others can. 

11 hours ago, Bacon said:

Also, the reason this isn't a better question is because of the Nintendo Hardware. Nintendo hardware is weak. Modern games take massive hits when ported to the switch. Hell, last gen games can barely run on the switch. It is amazing how Bethesda and Id got games working on the switch. But I don't see any world where God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, or Uncharted 4 make it onto the Switch. And even if they did they would look subpar. The Witcher 3 already looks like it was ran through YouTube compression and was given the Frame Rate of Ocarina of Time. 

1d4.png

• Guillotine 1

16 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

1d4.png

You know it isn't just about graphics tho. There are performance issues as well. The Switch has issues running the games hand made for it. You are missing the purposefully point. Nintendo's Hardware is just too weak. 

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

You know it isn't just about graphics tho. There are performance issues as well. The Switch has issues running the games hand made for it. You are missing the purposefully point. Nintendo's Hardware is just too weak. 

You're not entirely wrong...Nintendo's hardware has never been a powerhouse for the last three or so generations on consoles, and NEVER for their handhelds. 

That said? I dunno, today's hardware can run just about anything. Even the stuff Nintendo is selling. Sure, The Witcher 3 may not run perfectly, but modern games like Dragon Quest XI, Mortal Kombat 11, Mega Man 11, and Dragon Ball FighterZ all run perfectly fine on Switch. 

31 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

You're not entirely wrong...Nintendo's hardware has never been a powerhouse for the last three or so generations on consoles, and NEVER for their handhelds. 

That said? I dunno, today's hardware can run just about anything. Even the stuff Nintendo is selling. Sure, The Witcher 3 may not run perfectly, but modern games like Dragon Quest XI, Mortal Kombat 11, Mega Man 11, and Dragon Ball FighterZ all run perfectly fine on Switch. 

And those games are much less demanding on a console's power than the Sony first-party titles. Two of the games are basically 2D(dbz and mm), two of them are anime-ish(dbz and DQ), and two of them are fighting games(which have very small environments and low interactable objects.) And this isn't me calling those games shit. You said the better question was Sony going third party. Which it isn't. Those games can't be put on the switch and have them run at a respectable level. I mean, won't say it is impossible, but when there are games like RDR2 that have no console allegiance and yet aren't on the switch, but are on every other platform...

Right now, the only thing going third party would mean for Sony is putting games on Xbox. If Nintendo goes third party that would mean games on PC, Xbox, and PlayStation.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

Right now, the only thing going third party would mean for Sony is putting games on Xbox.

Not really...but even then? That's the question I was getting at earlier. What if Sony goes third party? How wild would it be to have God of War on Xbox? Or...that other franchise that Sony owns. 

If any company is ripe to go third party, let's face it. It's Sony. Nintendo isn't going anywhere, and Microsoft definitely isn't. 

1 minute ago, GameDadGrant said:

If any company is ripe to go third party, let's face it. It's Sony

MF what? 

How wild would it be if God of War was on Xbox? The fucking game is on PC. You need Microsoft Windows. Wild? Shit is domesticated. This is what it would look like to have GoW on Xbox

464bd3875028c3c50ee1e84e0b7aa470.jpg

• Haha 1

I think Nintendo is at their best when they’re swimming in their own pool, playing with their own toys. I honestly don’t think they’ve really had a meaningful hardware innovation they’ve taken full advantage of since the Wiimote and Wii Sports (the 3D on the 3DS was a gimmick, WiiMotion+ was underutilized, the less said about the Wii U the better, HD rumble isn’t relevant, etc.). I don’t think there’s anything stopping them from making games for non-mobile systems, it just seems so counter to their own philosophy that it’s hard to imagine.

1 minute ago, GameDadGrant said:

Um? Have you seen the Switch? That hardware innovation is exactly why they are the dominant force in the industry right now. 

I go back and forth on this. The dock is absolutely punching above its weight class, but it’s a modern Super GameBoy.

Nintendo makes hardware that goes against industry currents.  The dedicated portable would have died without them.  VR may not have been in the same place without Nintendo popularizing motion controls.  Gyro aiming also gained popularity as a result of Nintendo's implementations.  Historically, there's been a ton of benefits to Nintendo staying in the hardware market.  Them leaving that market would be a loss.

As for their current crop of software, I'd be happy to play it elsewhere.  But that's with the Switch's controller interface being relatively benign.  I'm still bummed there's no Sensor Bar support for it.

In light of the rest of industry happenings, I don't think we see them go 3rd party like Sega did.  We'd see a merger or acquisition, if anything.

18 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Yes. Absolutely. I don't believe the Switch is much more powerful than the Wii U.

In terms of raw horsepower, no, but it is from a performance per watt perspective (at least when directly comparing the Wii U to the Switch), but not many seem to feel that's a relevant metric for horsepower of a device (I find it fascinating from a case study, and what is possible with the least amount of hardware capabilities). Though the fact it has been able to have many so-called "impossible" ports does show the potential of the hardware. Running a game like Doom Eternal at a fairly consistent 30fps at less than 15w is pretty impressive I would say. I doubt the Wii U could've run a game like Doom Eternal, let alone Doom 2016, but I do remember prior to the failure status of the Wii U, ports of Crysis 3, and Metro Last Light were considered. So perhaps with enough programming, and determination, it might've been feasible. 

I do firmly believe the potential of the Wii U's hardware was never fully realized due to its commercial failure, but it was still using a CPU that while heavily modified, and expanded for multi-core support, was still from the late 90s. PowerPC CPUs had practically fallen out of relevancy outside of the Data center, and AI markets, and it was certainly time for Nintendo to make a change, and luckily, nVidia had just the right chip for them. May have been considered "underpowered," but I struggle to think of another off-the-shelf chip that provided the power, the availability, and likely the price of the Tegra X1 for a device like the Switch. Maybe it truly did exist, but outside of a custom solution, which I don't believe Nintendo was willing to do that at the time, the X1 was likely the only chip (So expect Nintendo to modify the Tegra X1 for the Switch 2 instead of another off-the-shelf chip).

At least the Homebrew community for the Wii U is quite active these days, and the system itself has shown to be a fairly capable Emulation machine. It's also the only Nintendo system that can play GCN, Wii, and Wii U titles natively without the use of emulation. It's a perplexing system that I remember defending a lot back in the day, and how it would be "fine." I've ate those word immensely over the years. 

Still own it, and probably will never sell it though.