October 2021 NPD: Far Cry, Back 4 Blood, Metroid lead, 7 new games in the Top 10, October 2021 up 16% YOY

SaysWho?

far-cry-6-2.jpg?w=1200&strip=all
VENTUREBEAT.COM

For the October 2021 NPD games report, the story is strong new software and a continued hunger for new-generation hardware.

HARDWARE - “Switch was the best-selling hardware platform of October in both units and dollars, aided by the launch of the Nintendo Switch – OLED Model,” NPD analyst Mat Piscatella said. “PlayStation 5 remains the best-selling hardware platform of 2021 year-to-date in dollars, while Nintendo Switch leads in units.”

“October video game hardware dollar sales increased 82% when compared to October 2020, to $472 million,” said Piscatella. “Year-to-date hardware spending has increased 53% when compared to the same period a year ago, reaching $3.9 billion.”

SPENDING - “October 2021 consumer spending across video game hardware, content and accessories grew 16% when compared to a year ago, reaching an October record $4.4 billion,” NPD analyst Mat Piscatella said. “Year-to-date consumer spending reached $46.7 billion, gaining 12% when compared to the same period in 2020.”

US NPD ACCESSORIES - October 2021 spending on video game accessories increased 5% when compared to a year ago, to $158 million. Year-to-date accessory sales reached $1.9 billion, increasing 9% when compared to a year ago.

US NPD ACCESSORIES - Gamepads remain the best-selling accessory segment year-to-date, with growth of 7% when compared to the same period a year ago.

US NPD ACCESSORIES - The Xbox Elite Series 2 Wireless Controller was the best-selling accessory of October, while the PS5 DualSense Wireless Controller White remains the best-selling accessory of the year.

FD_44rKVUAMXFy7?format=jpg&name=medium

FD_4755VcAw6SMC?format=jpg&name=medium

Nintendo:

FD_5BupVgAE7Gbi?format=jpg&name=medium

Playstation:

FD_5Eu_VUAElTq_?format=jpg&name=medium

Xbox:

FD_5Hb-UUAMPQqM?format=jpg&name=medium

7 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Punch-Out!!

With all the old favorites and a ton of new fighters.

They own Next Level Games now so they can have them do it again too! The wii one was good. Honestly it would be such an easy multi million seller right now.

I think for the vehicle sports and pilot wings, they should combine excite bike/truck/pilot wings/wave race/1080 into one game. Sort of like Riders Republic but Nintendo and arcadey. It could have an emphasis on expiration with the pilot wings stuff and also on the racing through all the other elements.  YOU SEE WHAT IM SAYING HERE RIGHT.

edit; F-zero would obviously stupid to try to fit in and should be it’s own thing but that would probably be an easy 5mil or so too, if it was good I mean.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

They own Next Level Games now so they can have them do it again too! The wii one was good. Honestly it would be such an easy multi million seller right now.

I think for the vehicle sports and pilot wings, they should combine excite bike/truck/pilot wings/wave race/1080 into one game. Sort of like Riders Republic but Nintendo and arcadey. It could have an emphasis on expiration with the pilot wings stuff and also on the racing through all the other elements.  YOU SEE WHAT IM SAYING HERE RIGHT.

edit; F-zero would obviously stupid to try to fit in and should be it’s own thing but that would probably be an easy 5mil or so too, if it was good I mean.

I really enjoyed the Wii one. The addition of the second chance, when you think you're TKO'd but you get one last surge of energy, led to some epic matches with Bald motherfucking Bull.

Just now, SaysWho? said:

I really enjoyed the Wii one. The addition of the second chance, when you think you're TKO'd but you get one last surge of energy, led to some epic matches with Bald motherfucking Bull.

Did you like Arms? Different energy but I really enjoyed that, I’d love to see a sequel to that as well.

Would love a few fletched out new pilot wings, that game just make me smile. Given the size of todays games though all previous versions would be laughable at any cost other than 19.99. Knowing Nintendo they could just do a refresh and charge 59.99 and sell 5million copies without blinking...

• SaysWho? changed the title to October 2021 NPD: Far Cry, Back 4 Blood, Metroid lead, 7 new games in the Top 10, October 2021 up 16% YOY
18 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's a pretty safe bet. Usually if there's an assassin' creed game (there wasn't one this year) it is 30 bucks by the time Black Friday rolls around. So, Farcry is a good candidate for that this year.

Ok. I never wait for sales if I want a game. I'm loaded. 

Spoiler

Not really lol 

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I’d rather see wave race come back.

I loved Wave Race 64 back in the day, my friend and I would play it for hours. Same with 1080 Snowboarding.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's a pretty safe bet. Usually if there's an assassin' creed game (there wasn't one this year) it is 30 bucks by the time Black Friday rolls around. So, Farcry is a good candidate for that this year.

Yeah, Ubisoft games are almost always on sale during Black Friday.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Ok. I never wait for sales if I want a game. I'm loaded. 

Reveal hidden contents

I have 500+ PS4 games, so I almost always wait for sales to buy games since they usually just get put in my backlog until I get in the mood to play them anyway. There’s not too many games that come out that I want enough to pay full price for to play on day one. Cyberpunk 2077 was the last game that I bought on day one for full price.

On 11/12/2021 at 8:51 PM, stepee said:

This. This right here. This is what Nintendo should do. There is no game from them I want more than this one right here. I haven't played Riders Republic, but I have sunk a large amount of time in Ubisoft's other open world racer The Crew 2.

F-Zero should be it's own thing. I guess you could change everything to be some sort of futuristic open world racer set in the FZero universe.

• Like 1