Update: Houston authorities have opened a criminal investigation into the Astroworld Festival crowd surge

27 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

If there's one thing I know about drug users, it's that they generally don't like to give away drugs for pranks. Sounds like the "strangers are giving drugs to your kids" campfire tales that get spread around every halloween.

It reads like a Facebook myth.  A pin prick of narcotics isn't enough knock a man unconscious unless it was a shot into a vein and was Fent. And if it was you ain't making it far enough to get an exam.

Police have opened a criminal investigation:

_121466279_mediaitem121466278.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Eight people died after a deadly crowd surge during a performance by rapper Travis Scott.

Police in Houston, Texas, have opened a criminal investigation into the deaths at the Astroworld festival on Friday.

At least eight people died and scores of people were hurt after a crowd surge on the opening night of the music event in Houston, Texas.

The victims were aged between 14 and 27. The identities of some of them are expected to be released on Sunday

Police are also investigating reports that somebody in the audience had been injecting people with drugs.

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Houston authorities have opened a criminal investigation into the Astroworld Festival crowd surge

I saw a clip of him continuing to perform while EMT are fighting their way in and trying to pull bodies out...WITH their ambulances. There's no way a performer shouldn't have some responsibility to ensure their own fans' safety when fucking ambulances are starting to drive through the crowds.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

Looking at photos of the deceased really hits you in the gut with how senseless this was. A bunch of young people out for a fun night, now dead on account of failures at virtually every level. Shame on all involved.

4XWRLSDD4JGY3NP7T347FNEIWI.jpg?_a=ATABla
WWW.CLICK2HOUSTON.COM

Rapper Roddy Ricch, who performed on Friday night at Travis Scott’s Astroworld Festival, announced that he will plan to donate his pay from his performance to the victims’ families.

One of the artists who performed earlier in the show is offering to donate his net from the show to the families of those who died.

On 11/6/2021 at 9:13 AM, CayceG said:

Essentially, what happens is that crowds in the back push forward and the people at the front get compressed. It sort of happens in waves, so there are "pulses" that act on the people up front who are hemmed in by some barrier or the stage itself. 

It happens more than you think:

Happened to me in the 1980s at a Scorpions concert in Germany. Was in the front row and thought I was going to be completely crushed. But enjoyed the show.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

He's repeatedly told his fans to ignore any barriers.

Yeah I'm just now starting to learn about how bad he's been at shows, that this isn't an isolated incident but a pattern of behavior. Which is is going to make it easy for lawyers to go after him.

211108001122-05-astroworld-memorial-1107
WWW.CNN.COM

Before rapper Travis Scott took the stage Friday night at his sold-out Astroworld Festival, Houston's police chief had a "brief and respectful" meeting with him to discuss safety concerns.

Before rapper Travis Scott took the stage Friday night at his sold-out Astroworld Festival, Houston's police chief had a "brief and respectful" meeting with him to discuss safety concerns.

"I met with Travis Scott and his head of security for a few moments last Friday prior to the main event," Chief Troy Finner said in a written statement posted Monday.

"I expressed my concerns regarding public safety and that in my 31 years of law enforcement experience I have never seen a time with more challenges facing citizens," including a pandemic and nationwide social tension, Finner said.

"I asked Travis Scott and his team to work with HPD for all events over the weekend and to be mindful of his team's social media messaging on any unscheduled events."

3 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

The rich will pay a fine and nothing else. 

I think the best case a prosecution would have would be some sort of criminal negligence, but I can't see any one person getting charged with manslaughter or negligent homicide or whatever Texas' version of that law is.

The event organizers will definitely file for bankruptcy in the inevitable civil cases that will follow, but beyond that, I don't see an outcome where anyone goes to prison or anything.

Under Texas penal code chapter 6, it says

A person who omits to perform an act does not commit an offense unless a law as defined by Section 1.07 provides that the omission is an offense or otherwise provides that he has a duty to perform the act

Basically, it's not your fault if you fail to stop something from happening, unless it's your duty to stop it. Who's duty is it to stop it? The security guards? The overall organizer? Travis Scott? All of the above? You can make an argument for any or all of them, but I doubt a prosecutor would try taking it to court as far as negligent homicide or whatever version of that law Texas has. You can't prosecute someone for failing to do something (which this case certainly falls under) unless you can also prove that it was their duty, by law, to prevent it.

They might get fines for security standards or failing to meet fire codes or whatever, but I think that's probably it.

Reading through the tweet thread…in the civil suits that are already flooding in, everybody is going to be held liable to some degree. The trial lawyers are already planning for the two or three new homes they are going to purchase with the awards and settlements.

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Reading through the tweet thread…in the civil suits that are already flooding in, everybody is going to be held liable to some degree. The trial lawyers are already planning for the two or three new homes they are going to purchase with the awards and settlements.

Oh yeah, there's going to be all kinds of civil settlements, but I think @ManUtdRedDevils and @Commissar SFLUFAN were thinking more in terms of criminal charges. I doubt there will be anything other than maybe some safety fines.

3 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Oh yeah, there's going to be all kinds of civil settlements, but I think @ManUtdRedDevils and @Commissar SFLUFAN were thinking more in terms of criminal charges. I doubt there will be anything other than maybe some safety fines.

Correct - the civil penalties are a given.  I'm more interested in actual criminal penalties.