Update: Tim Epic says that games featuring NFTs won't be banned on EGS because freedom

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

That's exactly it. Here my legitimate blockchain game idea. You're a smaller dev that doesn't want to spend money on infrastructure for, say, your pvp card based RPG. You sell new NFT cards on Amazon, matchmaking happens on Discord, matches are all direct p2p connections with decks being made up of NFT.

There you go. Legitimate use for the blockchain in gaming.

Also, none of that is something the likes of EA or Ubisoft needs to worry about about because they have a the resources in the world to run those servers on the backend.

Why not just digitally sign items that get stored on the users computer? When you join a peer-to-peer game, everyone can validate that your items are legitly signed, just like they would if it was a reference to a transaction on a blockchain.

I'm guessing you want to also add that users can trade the items, and the dev want's offset further transaction storage to the blockchain and otherwise not be involved in signing trades? If your game is that big of a hit that everyone also needs to be trading cards between each other, seems like a massively dick move to make the rest of the world pay a much larger bill than doing it yourself.

11 minutes ago, legend said:

Why not just digitally sign items that get stored on the users computer? When you join a peer-to-peer game, everyone can validate that your items are legitly signed, just like they would if it was a reference to a transaction on a blockchain.

I'm guessing you want to also add that users can trade the items, and the dev want's offset further transaction storage to the blockchain and otherwise not be involved in signing trades? If your game is that big of a hit that everyone also needs to be trading cards between each other, seems like a massively dick move to make the rest of the world pay a much larger bill than doing it yourself.

I mean, yeah, you're killing polar bears to save money on some AWS compute, but that wasn't the point of my little thought exercise. The only people that could conceivably benefit are small devs that have a game with tradables. However, the size the game would need to be to facilitate such an open market should also be profitable enough to just buy some time on Azure.

Street Fighter VI will use blockchain netcode. Every single punch and kick must be verified by at least 50% of all other players before damage is accepted by the server, essentially ending all cheating, permanently.

Please allow for 5-10 hours of blockchain verification per attack.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Phil Spencer calls NFT games as feeling "exploitive", Lars Wingefors (Embracer Group CEO) describes crypto/NFT as a "lottery"

One thing I have learned from companies wanting to sell NFT art these past several days is that you can't buy NFT's with money. They want you to connect your bank to a crypto exchange, then they want you to convert real money into their own crypto currency they are selling, then you have to transfer that crypto currency to a crypto wallet, then you can buy an NFT. This all sounds like they want you to invest in their form of crypto by convincing you that you are buying something of value with it. It all just sounds real shady to me and eventually all this crypto/nft bubble will pop. People just want to get in on the ground floor incase it takes off like bit coin. Humans are the worst.

1 hour ago, The def star said:

One thing I have learned from companies wanting to sell NFT art these past several days is that you can't buy NFT's with money. They want you to connect your bank to a crypto exchange, then they want you to convert real money into their own crypto currency they are selling, then you have to transfer that crypto currency to a crypto wallet, then you can buy an NFT. This all sounds like they want you to invest in their form of crypto by convincing you that you are buying something of value with it. It all just sounds real shady to me and eventually all this crypto/nft bubble will pop. People just want to get in on the ground floor incase it takes off like bit coin. Humans are the worst.

NFTs as they pertain to digital art are absolutely a scam, and tying them to in-game assets is worse.

It’s wild to think we’re 15 years removed from people losing their shit over horse armor in Oblivion to a model where you can buy the equivalent but also punish fuck the earth as part of the deal.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2021 at 2:46 PM, heydude93 said:

How did NFTs genuinely become such a popular trend? :lol:

In a nutshell, if these big companies are not looking into new (nefarious) trends to increase their profits, they’re failing their shareholders by conceding ground to their competitors.

Or they do what Embracer did and say fuck that noise.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I barely can read that. Can it be summed up in a sentence or two? Google didn't exactly help me either.

Imagine a Bitcoin, but instead of being directly valued as money it's a token that says your bought something. Now that something, in most cases with NFTs, is a web address to, like, a picture. The NFT would look like this:

At 8:06PM ET @best3444 bought https://coolpictures.com/image.jpg for $50,000.

That's what's being sold. If you have a million questions about how any of that makes sense, congrats, you have more sense than the entire market.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Imagine a Bitcoin, but instead of being directly valued as money it's a token that says your bought something. Now that something, in most cases with NFTs, is a web address to, like, a picture. The NFT would look like this:

That's what's being sold. If you have a million questions about how any of that makes sense, congrats, you have more sense than the entire market.

Thanks for explaining. Really odd.

On 12/16/2021 at 6:19 AM, crispy4000 said:

In a nutshell, if these big companies are not looking into new (nefarious) trends to increase their profits, they’re failing their shareholders by conceding ground to their competitors.

Or they do what Embracer did and say fuck that noise.

From a design standpoint alone I'm not here for it since collecting shit is antiquated and pointless to begin with imo. A leftover trope from a time when games tech wasn't advanced enough to curate more engaging experiences. 

It's been a stargate sequence of a mindfuck to see how in-demand NFTs are. How ethical or not that is I'm still not sure. Calling it a scam seems a bit inaccurate? Doubt false advertising claims have much merit - NFT shops seem pretty clear that you're paying for a JPG image and ownership of the license to use it, and when in doubt, googling it tells you this.  It's a dumb product, but I have to assume nobody in their right mind is being mislead into buying it. Where a precedent like that can lead, however,  IS concerning, but also I'm rooting for many digital artists who pay bills from this and I'm not sure I have much sympathy for anyone who feels scammed by them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

29 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

From a game design standpoint alone I'm not here for it since collecting shit in games is antiquated and pointless to begin with. A leftover trope from a time when games tech was not advanced enough to curate more engaging experiences. 

It's been a stargate sequence of a mindfuck to see how in-demand NFTs are. How ethical or not that is I'm still not sure. Calling it a scam seems a bit inaccurate? Doubt false advertising claims have much merit - NFT shops seem pretty clear that you're paying for a JPG image and ownership of the license to use it, and when in doubt, googling it tells you this.  It's a dumb product, but I have to assume nobody in their right mind is being mislead into buying it. Where a precedent like that can lead, however,  IS concerning, but also I'm rooting for many digital artists who pay bills from this and I'm not sure I have much sympathy for anyone who feels scammed by them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

People who buy into pyramid schemes also are told how it works but are led to believe it will make them wealthy anyway; that they'll be the ones on the top, but we still call that a scam and sometimes make it illegal. NFTs are scam in the same way.

37 minutes ago, legend said:

People who buy into pyramid schemes also are told how it works but are led to believe it will make them wealthy anyway; that they'll be the ones on the top, but we still call that a scam an sometimes make it illegal. NFTs are scam in the same way.

There's definitely a pyramid scheme and fad element that taps into the same whatever that causes pet rocks and coin collections to spike, though to a degree NTFs are also unprecedented... I have concern for what some of the long term impact might be. Aside from that I'm not sure I feel much else about it.  I personally don't see the value in buying them, and I can't say I feel too bad for anyone buying into it given how easy it is to google what they don't know first.  ^_^

27 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

There's definitely a pyramid scheme and fad element that taps into the same whatever that causes pet rocks and coin collections to spike, though to a degree NTFs are also unprecedented... I have concern for what some of the long term impact might be. Aside from that I'm not sure I feel much else about it.  I personally don't see the value in buying them, and I can't say I feel too bad for anyone buying into it given how easy it is to google what they don't know first.  ^_^

I think it depends on the person. Some people are desperate and in their desperation turn to these schemes and end up losing big. It's the same as gambling: they're hoping they're one of the lucky ones. But of course, the vast majority are not. In these cases, it's not that I would feel bad that they didn't win big, it's that they plummet even further.

Tech bros gambling their wealth and losing doesn't bother me at all though except for their role in proliferating this nonsense and its effect on society and the desperate :p 

• True 1

• 2 weeks later...