Peacemaker (HBO Max, 13 January 2022) - update: renewed for second season

On 1/22/2022 at 10:37 AM, Kal-El814 said:

I like this more than I thought I would after Peacemaker's debut in The Suicide Squad, it's pretty fun. I don't like "guy who sexually harasses women but actually is a nice guy" as a character flaw, but other than that it's really enjoyable.

That wasn't my favorite part when it first happened, but it looks like Peacemaker learning to treat women better will be part of his character growth. And I think that is an interesting thing to depict in a show.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:00 AM, brucoe said:

Yep, I was practically falling out of my chair laughing at this whole exchange. It was one of those moments I didn't know I needed.

I didn't know who Bat-mite is so I had to look it up and honestly seeing that they're willing to really keep going farther into the goofier side of DC comics than they already did in the last Suicide Squad movie is what got me interested to finally give this show a shot.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:04 AM, brucoe said:

Usually, I watch the opening credits to a show once and then skip through it every time after. With Peacemaker, I watch the opening number each time and enjoy it just as much.

I skipped it on episodes 4 and 5 because I'm binging it but yeah I watched it the first three episodes, and usually I'd have only watched the first time.

Really fun show. Loved the intro a ton and thought this was way funnier than the latest SS. I do have a gripe with how the season ended. I felt like it stopped right before the climax of the story. Is it supposed to be a mid season finale or something? Feels so weird to end the current run like that.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:

Really fun show. Loved the intro a ton and thought this was way funnier than the latest SS. I do have a gripe with how the season ended. I felt like it stopped right before the climax of the story. Is it supposed to be a mid season finale or something? Feels so weird to end the current run like that.

lol it's a weekly release, there's two more episodes left. 

• Haha 2

SHUT UP! OMG LMAO I had no idea. I really did think HBO released the entire series. First HBO series I've watched and I binged the 6 current episodes. Let me go clean this egg off my face. :lol:

edit: Phew, I feel silly now but um... when do new episodes release on HBO? :whistlin:

Today's episode really sold a lot of the pathos and emotional resolution we've been looking for without pulling any punches in terms of climactic confrontations. Another really good episode. I loved that Gunn purposefully made the neo-Nazis look like complete idiots in their white hoods and tablet bumbling around looking like posers.

3 hours ago, silentbob said:

X-Files and Scorpion 

A few episodes of Stargate Atlantis too. Christopher Heyerdahl, the guy who plays the police chief who was Murn's inside guy, also had several roles in Atlantis, most notably one of the show's best characters, Todd the Wraith. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Peacemaker (HBO Max, 13 January 2022) - update: renewed for second season

Pretty solid ending to an entertaining season. I don’t know if I respect DC’s willingness to let its premier characters be shit on like happened with the cameo at the end of this episode? I wonder if the reason that the main DC universe heroes, outside Batman, haven’t really captured the public’s interest on film is because they don’t have anyone who can really stand up for and insist on the most enduring version of them like Feige does for Marvel.

Also I wish we got more Judo Master.

Anyway, lots of places they could go for season 2. If Peacemaker isn’t going to be willing to wantonly kill people anymore, I wonder if they’ll do more alien stuff.

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah good ending to an entertaining season - definitely looking forward to more Peacemaker with season 2. My wife and I really enjoyed the cameos and laughed, we found it funny and endearing more than anything. Show is a lot of fun.

Oh absolutely. Super fun.

10 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don’t know if I respect DC’s willingness to let its premier characters be shit on like happened with the cameo at the end of this episode? 

Hell, that's what makes DC VASTLY more endearing and entertaining to me than the MCU's eye-rolling self-serious genuflection.

• True 1

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah I mean I see where you're coming from with them being willing to "shit" on their major heroes is a bit strange but at the same time nice to have some fun. 

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Hell, that's what makes DC VASTLY more endearing and entertaining to me than the MCU's self-serious genuflection.

Yeah I feel that, too. I think it would come off a little different to me if the version of the Justice League we got wasn't you know... so bad. The fact that The Flash or Superman didn't speed a dying woman and two badly injured people to a hospital because they were too busy talking about fish fucking was not lost on me. :p

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah I feel that, too. I think it would come off a little different to me if the version of the Justice League we got wasn't you know... so bad. The fact that The Flash or Superman didn't speed a dying woman and two badly injured people to a hospital because they were too busy talking about fish fucking was not lost on me. :p

Wouldn't shock me if Mamao, Miller, and whoever they had standing in for Superman and Wonder Woman weren't on the same set as everyone else, let alone in front of the same green screen as each other, but yeah. :p

• True 1

Applaud Standing Ovation GIF by Black Market

I had moderate interest at best but still took a "wait & see" approach after a couple eps aired but holy hot fucking cheetos this show was awesometacular! Hats off to James, John, and all the rest of the team, can't wait for the 2nd season genuinely! Heartwarming, deep, thoughtful, amazingly brutal action scenes that did not pull any punches whatsoever. Who knew a character that I had no idea even existed before THE Suicide Squad could be so enchanting & charming, deep & funny!

14 hours ago, Anathema- said:

And you have to watch the theme song every time because each new episode gives it a deeper context that's both darker and funnier every time. 

THIS ALL DAY! Having watched the first 3 back to back, I picked up on this immediately & in the days in between episodes going forward thereafter, I would have that theme song stuck in my head but it was glorious because I'd be analyzing the lyrics & then the following week I'd see that dance sequence & more & more pieces would fall into place. I have been a James Gunn fan for easily 20+ years but dare I say that THIS show is perhaps his best work yet & I love him all the more for it!