Nvidia Gamescon Confrence Today - 2080 series to be announced

Mr.Vic20

16 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Going for the 4K.

I'm pretty much still rocking your 980.

In any case I should have looked before I posted that because looking like the ti versions of those cards are sold out pretty much everywhere. :p

They are and they are pricey as Hell right now, if you can even find one, as Nvidia is clearly having a yield issue with the ti. Given that the 2080 is essential on par with the 1080ti, the 1080ti is probably the recommended purchase right now. Its true that DLSS has the potential to make the 2080 competitive with Titan V FPS, but that of course is predicated on its broad adoption, and there is no indication how this will play out at present. The 1080ti is a fine 4K-ish card (you will need to tweak settings to high rather than ultra for newer games) and probably your best option for the next 9 months. 

Just now, RedSoxFan9 said:

it would be nice to have a card with more than 4 gb but I also want a card that can run all of its features ?‍♂️

Unfortunately, though historically not without precedence, these 20xx series cards are a "pivot" generation and will ultimately be a foundational change rather than a peak performer.  The 1080ti does run all of its features at full though and does so with 11Gb of GDDR5X and its price has never been better! 

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

They are and they are pricey as Hell right now, if you can even find one, as Nvidia is clearly having a yield issue with the ti. Given that the 2080 is essential on par with the 1080ti, the 1080ti is probably the recommended purchase right now. Its true that DLSS has the potential to make the 2080 competitive with Titan V FPS, but that of course is predicated on its broad adoption, and there is no indication how this will play out at present. The 1080ti is a fine 4K-ish card (you will need to tweak settings to high rather than ultra for newer games) and probably your best option for the next 9 months. 

I can run plenty of games in 4k right now with the 980 so I have no problem getting the newest one. However, if none are in stock I'll be waiting anyway. :p

It was a nice fantasy for a day. :daydream:

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I can run plenty of games in 4k right now with the 980 so I have no problem getting the newest one. However, if none are in stock I'll be waiting anyway. :p

It was a nice fantasy for a day. :daydream:

Quake 3 runs amazingly at 4k on my 980 Tis :sun: 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, stepee said:

You mean only clouds :P

Well yeah there’s also Wildlands but best not to talk about that

[street car named desire level scream] wiiiiiilllllddddddllllaaaannndddddssssss!!!! What a rediculously, unapologetically, unoptimized game! :angry:

13 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

[street car named desire level scream] wiiiiiilllllddddddllllaaaannndddddssssss!!!! What a rediculously, unapologetically, unoptimized game! :angry:

Funny thing is, it’s impressively optimized at 1440p with great AA with the Xbox X patch!

9 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Exactly! The performance curve from 1440P to 4K makes zero sense! It’s impressively bad! 

I can one up Wildlands actually, try running Quantum Break max in 4k :lol:

And yes I know temporal reconstruction makes it ok, but no cheating!

5 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Jesus, yeah, I gave up on it in 4K and just played through at 1440P. That game was such a shit port! The claim is that it worked better in the Steam release via DX11, rather than the UWP DX12, but I didn’t see it! 

I got it again when it was on some deal to see, and yeah runs like crap either way! Though if you use reconstruction (still better than 1440p) it does a nice solid 60fps now! And at least, the game still looks quite impressive at times. But you know something is wrong when you can stare at a wall and the fps still is lagging (without reconstruction) I’m guessing since it is how the game was built for Xbox One, and they only patched in full native after release it never had a chance to be actually optimized without using their preferred technique.

Hopefully Control won’t have similar issues, though luckily Control will have dlss (already confirmed) so we should be fine :D

Edit: Though that might mean everyone else is fucked

18 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yeah, I’m looking forward to Control, but it’s early days so who knows. I’m honestly expecting to be on a 2180ti before we’re seeing broad adoption of the RTX features! :p

But at least Control is confirmed to! Tried a bunch of more games and yeah, borrrrring.

Ok so I hate started Wildlands to see and god damnit, just turn off taa, hbao+ to ssao and :( same damn number (4k60) even with nvidia shit on.

Fun fact that bench has a nice cpu usage chart with it. If you look at it and what people are seeing with how ACODD threads, I think that is ubi’s secret sauce. They don’t use pc cpus at all.

7 hours ago, stepee said:

Ok so I hate started Wildlands to see and god damnit, just turn off taa, hbao+ to ssao and :( same damn number (4k60) even with nvidia shit on.

Fun fact that bench has a nice cpu usage chart with it. If you look at it and what people are seeing with how ACODD threads, I think that is ubi’s secret sauce. They don’t use pc cpus at all.

Really?! I’ll have to give it a shot!

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I think are best hope is a mostly stable 30fps at 1800p reconstruction at this point! And that is assuming the next series of nvidia cards is out by whenever it releases next year and that they are a huge leap! :D

So my read of RTX is that DLSS has the potential to give us around a 20-25% FPS boost over vanilla rasterization. Where as Hybrid  Ray Tracing seems to impose a 66% decrease in performance vs vanilla rasterization. So I see a roughly 41-45% overall performance drop by introducing RTX features vs traditional rasterization. 40-50% perf increase is exactly what I expect out of the next generation of GPUs with their jump to 7nm fabrication. So if all goes well, we could be enjoying all of these features maxed out in 4K on a single GPU in time for Christmas 2019! :sun:

On 10/9/2018 at 6:40 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Going for the 4K.

I'm pretty much still rocking your 980.

In any case I should have looked before I posted that because looking like the ti versions of those cards are sold out pretty much everywhere. :p

Yea it's simply crazy shit out there right now. I planned all along to just build my next PC around a I7 8700k, 16 gigs 3200, and a 2080Ti. It will be some time until these prices come down. I think I might just see if I can wait another year and get a 3080Ti. I just have been fixed around building this next PC and waiting this long has been hard. I want to fully use this 4k Tv and I'm not able to now. I will honestly say, that a lot of 4k gaming is possible with my 980Ti and it really has been a GREAT card hands down.

It'll be another 14 months at least till we see 30 series cards right?

20 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

So my read of RTX is that DLSS has the potential to give us around a 20-25% FPS boost over vanilla rasterization. Where as Hybrid  Ray Tracing seems to impose a 66% decrease in performance vs vanilla rasterization. So I see a roughly 41-45% overall performance drop by introducing RTX features vs traditional rasterization. 40-50% perf increase is exactly what I expect out of the next generation of GPUs with their jump to 7nm fabrication. So if all goes well, we could be enjoying all of these features maxed out in 4K on a single GPU in time for Christmas 2019! :sun:

If AMD doesn’t compete on the high end by then, then I’m not so sure. :( Unless intel has at least announced enough to scare nvidia by then. 

38 minutes ago, stepee said:

If AMD doesn’t compete on the high end by then, then I’m not so sure. :( Unless intel has at least announced enough to scare nvidia by then. 

I have a feeling that Nvidia wants this as much us on some level. But I hear you, they might just launch a better binned, higher clocked re-badged 21xx series next year. 

1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

I would have thought that a big priority would have been to shrink the die to lower cost. 

Undoubtably true, but apparently everyone but apple is either struggling with 7nm fab or are taking a really careful approach h to jumping in as far as I can tell. My money is on “the struggle”! :p

4 hours ago, HardAct said:

Yea it's simply crazy shit out there right now. I planned all along to just build my next PC around a I7 8700k, 16 gigs 3200, and a 2080Ti. It will be some time until these prices come down. I think I might just see if I can wait another year and get a 3080Ti. I just have been fixed around building this next PC and waiting this long has been hard. I want to fully use this 4k Tv and I'm not able to now. I will honestly say, that a lot of 4k gaming is possible with my 980Ti and it really has been a GREAT card hands down.

It'll be another 14 months at least till we see 30 series cards right?

Personally I'm ready. It's always when the next card comes out we all say wait for the next one. Well, we're gonna keep waiting and waiting that upgrade is never going to come. :p

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Personally I'm ready. It's always when the next card comes out we all say wait for the next one. Well, we're gonna keep waiting and waiting that upgrade is never going to come. :p

I hear ya! I'm ready and willing to spend 12-1300 bucks on one of the great triple fanned cards like the MSI one. No way I'm paying 2+ though, so I will wait for things to calm down, but after that, totals looking like 2600 for a great future proof PC to take me into this / next gen in style. I know I'll never make it all the way to the 30 series cards no way. I did very well to make it past the 1080Ti, thus getting a  great run out of my 980Ti. So a thought? Is the 8700k i7 still the CPU gamer of choice this gen?

@Mr.Vic20 curious what you have your core clock and memory set at? I think I’m at like +147/+350 memory atm. Seems to get it around 2000mhz, but wouldn’t mind getting the heat even lower, did you mess with voltage at all?

And yeah, can’t believe how silent this damn thing is! Between that and much better heat management especially with extreme overclocking, nvidia actually released a damn fine reference design this time around.

21 hours ago, stepee said:

@Mr.Vic20 curious what you have your core clock and memory set at? I think I’m at like +147/+350 memory atm. Seems to get it around 2000mhz, but wouldn’t mind getting the heat even lower, did you mess with voltage at all?

And yeah, can’t believe how silent this damn thing is! Between that and much better heat management especially with extreme overclocking, nvidia actually released a damn fine reference design this time around.

I’m +175/+300, which is definitely playing on the high end for this card, but it runs like champ! I’m running a 8086K at 5.0 on all cores, but the best part is that with my AIO loop, it hasn’t broken above 75C and the fans are s set to silent so they never break over 1200rpm/19db at max sustained load. The whole rig makes next to no noise. Lovely!