Nvidia Gamescon Confrence Today - 2080 series to be announced

Mr.Vic20

23 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It'd probably be best to wait 3-ish months for prices to normalize and grab a 2080 Ti with waaaaaaaaaaaaay better cooling than the base model. That's what I'm doing. :sun: 

This is exactly what I'm going to do too! Lets keep track, and go back-n-forth on the cards available then and what each of us thinks is the best one? OK?

14 minutes ago, stepee said:

@Mr.Vic20 you try it yet?! Mine is out on the truck for delivery!!

You know what?! After all of this waiting, and all of our discussion in the interim, I failed to mention I've had mine operating happily since Friday morning! :lol: I LOVE THIS CARD! First, it quiet as hell, and even with a 200Mhz core OC (yup, that's right!) it has not gone above 80C!  That is amazing! Now, Going from a Titan V to this means the jump was always going to be modest at best! That said, I'm happy to report that while the card is honestly only about 5-8fps faster than the V in most games, its real benefit is its minimum frame rate, which is consistently better than the V was and contributes to less wild frame rate swings, resulting in a smoother experience even when KNOW OFFENDER'S GAMES (read: Ubisoft) run like ass! :sun:

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

You know what?! After all of this waiting, and all of our discussion in the interim, I failed to mention I've had mine operating happily since Friday morning! :lol: I LOVE THIS CARD! First, it quiet as hell, and even with a 200Mhz core OC (yup, that's right!) it has not gone above 80C!  That is amazing! Now, Going from a Titan V to this means the jump was always going to be modest at best! That said, I'm happy to report that while the card is honestly only about 5-8fps faster than the V in most games, its real benefit is its minimum frame rate, which is consistently better than the V was and contributes to less wild frame rate swings, resulting in a smoother experience even when KNOW OFFENDERS GAMES (read: Ubisoft) run like ass! :sun:

Yeah while for non insane gamers like you with a V, it’s a big bump in max, the minimum is almost more impressive from what I’ve seen! Speaking of ubi, have you tried Odyssey yet? And by 200mhz clock do you mean 2000mhz target or that you did a +200mhz? What did you set for memory?

Just now, stepee said:

Yeah while for non insane gamers like you with a V, it’s a big bump in max, the minimum is almost more impressive from what I’ve seen! Speaking of ubi, have you tried Odyssey yet? And by 200mhz clock do you mean 2000mhz target or that you did a +200mhz? What did you set for memory?

Right, yes that probably was confusing, to be clear I'm hitting 2000Ghz on the core, stable! How do I know its stable? I ran a 10 hour marathon (pun intended!) of AC Odyssey yesterday and the rig ran it quietly and smoothly! Some reality though, Ubi open world games have always run like ass, and Odyssey is no different! While I typically get around 55fps maxed out in 4K, I've seen the occasional dips into the 40s and even a moment when its was 32fps! To the games credit though, some of the draw distances are simply awe inspiring! Great game! Seriously, I love this game! 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Right, yes that probably was confusing, to be clear I'm hitting 2000Ghz on the core, stable! How do I know its stable? I ran a 10 hour marathon (pun intended!) of AC Odyssey yesterday and the rig ran it quietly and smoothly! Some reality though, Ubi open world games have always run like ass, and Odyssey is no different! While I typically get around 55fps maxed out in 4K, I've seen the occasional dips into the 40s and even a moment when its was 32fps! To the games credit though, some of the draw distances are simply awe inspiring! Great game! Seriously, I love this game! 

Damn, game is rough on hardware! Is that with AA on? I’ll probably dial stuff back enough to hit 60fps with drops, or maybe just something like a 2052p should do it!

Just now, stepee said:

Damn, game is rough on hardware! Is that with AA on? I’ll probably dial stuff back enough to hit 60fps with drops, or maybe just something like a 2052p should do it!

Yeah that's with "all sliders as to the right as they can go". :p What is curious to me is that dropping AA and even putting shadows down a notch didn't seem to fix the issue. You'll have to tell me your results! 

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yeah that's with "all sliders as to the right as they can go". :p What is curious to me is that dropping AA and even putting shadows down a notch didn't seem to fix the issue. You'll have to tell me your results! 

Ah good to know, will do, I’m not going to let 5 stinking fps keep me away from true 60!

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

@Mr.Vic20 tell me, when you got the card did you first:

A) Play a game

B) Mess around with settings and oc the card

I will judge your gpu enthusiast cred by this answer.

Naturally I OC’D it then bumped up my CPU on the same day and then compared benchmarks...then some time later I actually gamed! :sun:

• Haha 1

@Mr.Vic20

So far (looks like with my cc going at 1995) setting to 90% is a pretty good time for 60fps! Nothing else I’ve tried seems to change much (not like you can really tell the difference between 2052 and 2160 anyway!) Still some dips (and I don’t count the cutscenes because it doesn’t matter there) but also apparently hdr has slow fps issues ubi is aware of to be addressed in the next patch, so that may be the ticket!

Edit: Volumetric clouds! Turn those down and try to notice the difference besides your stable fps :)

5 hours ago, stepee said:

@Mr.Vic20can’t wait for you to try turning them down (i went to high), it’s amazing what a game changer in performance it is for slightly better looking fucking clouds. At 2052p/hdr everything else maxed now I’m a buttery smooth 60fps flying all over the island. #fuckingclouds

I wondered why they had an ultra setting for the sky! :lol: I will try this out tonight, thanks Stepee! :sun:

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm kinda getting that itch and it looks like the MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio is getting the highest benchmarks. Are we still waiting on these or is this a good time to jump in?

Its a tough generation to jump into if you plan to keep this card for 2+ years. The prices are very high and only the 2080ti has any real hope of reasonably implementing the ray tracing feature. What resolution do you plan to game at?