What time period was the best time in your life?

best3444

After college, I was at my happiest. I got out from under my parents' control, got married, and started my career. I went through one rough patch in my late 20s, but my 30s have been pretty good so far. We've been fortunate not not encounter any financial hardships.

I wouldn't go back to my childhood for anything.

8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Physically and emotionally? I remember reading this before. Sorry.  😞 

Yes, both. It wasn't always bad, but we still have a complicated relationship. They were also just really controlling. I lived at home until I graduated college and they still pulled shit like grounding me for dumb shit. I also didn't enjoy school.

59 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yes, both. It wasn't always bad, but we still have a complicated relationship. They were also just really controlling. I lived at home until I graduated college and they still pulled shit like grounding me for dumb shit. I also didn't enjoy school.

That's some bullshit. Well I'm glad you're in a better place now. :sun: 

Were it not for the pandemic, I'd say now. Most financially comfortable I've been with those years in shit-paying academia finally paying off; own a house with my wonderful wife; work from home doing what I love; have developed the expertise to be respected by my professional community.

Now if we can just stave off dangerous vaccine-resistant covid variants by getting the world immunized fast enough, I'll be in good shape!

That all said, various time periods in my life have had different unique aspects that I'd glad enjoyed.

But everything post high school > childhood years. Not because I had a bad childhood, but because life is infinitely more interesting as an adult and the pre-college school system is otherwise a barely better than a waste of time that needs to be drastically redesigned (and probably better funded).

12 hours ago, legend said:

Were it not for the pandemic, I'd say now. Most financially comfortable I've been with those years in shit-paying academia finally paying off; own a house with my wonderful wife; work from home doing what I love; have developed the expertise to be respected by my professional community.

Now if we can just stave off dangerous vaccine-resistant covid variants by getting the world immunized fast enough, I'll be in good shape!

That all said, various time periods in my life have had different unique aspects that I'd glad enjoyed.

But everything post high school > childhood years. Not because I had a bad childhood, but because life is infinitely more interesting as an adult and the pre-college school system is otherwise a barely better than a waste of time that needs to be drastically redesigned (and probably better funded).

Now you just need to have children to make your life complete!

14 hours ago, legend said:

Pandemic? Haven’t noticed. 

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Now you just need to have children to make your life complete!

It has been a deliberate choice to not have children :p I have no doubt I would love my children if I had them, but that's kind of the issue. The result of that love is they would dominate my life and fill it with anxiety. Psychologically, I would be more fulfilled without children.

21 minutes ago, legend said:

It has been a deliberate choice to not have children :p I have no doubt I would love my children if I had them, but that's kind of the issue. The result of that love is they would dominate my life and fill it with anxiety. Psychologically, I would be more fulfilled without children.

As a father of two, you are not wrong! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, legend said:

Understandable and I respect that. The way my life is going I won't have children either but not necessarily by choice. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

As a father of two, you are not wrong! 

You love being a father don't lie!

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Understandable and I respect that. The way my life is going I won't have children either but not necessarily by choice. 

You love being a father don't lie!

Oh I very much do, but I'd also be a liar is I said I don't some times dream of a more carefree life! Parenting is a curious juxtaposition of joy and misery! You can't imagine your life without your kids but the worry and anxiety is palpable at times. Example: My daughter just got her license. I've seen my daughter operate a can opener so the prospect of her regularly operating a motor vehicle is, well, sometimes I have quiet inside screaming sessions! :sun::daydream:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, best3444 said:

So the pandemic hasn't effected you in anyway? I doubt it.

16 hours ago, Joe said:

He’s doing the pathetic conservative trolling thing. Pay no attention! 

Sure for a couple of months. Returned to work May 1, 2020. Georgia never actually shut down. 

4 hours ago, legend said:

I'm the same and I love seeing others admit it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

If it's something you want, I wouldn't give up yet! And if it really matters to you and you can't find someone you want to do it with, adoption is a fantastic compassionate option that can radically change someone's life for the better!

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm the same and I love seeing others admit it.

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

Having little kids can be stressful, I mean, you’re pretty responsible for them staying alive. It’s more fun to me when they get older and really become their own person in some meaningful ways. But parenting isn’t a virtue and nobody should feel bad for choosing to forego having children and you certainly aren’t incomplete if you don’t have children.

@legend @CastlevaniaNut18 I'm gunna join your team! I don't think I want the responsibility in being a parent. Unless I magically meet a woman that truly wants kids. Maybe my mind would change then. As of right now, owning a cat is about all the responsibility I want lol. 

I respect both of you guys and you're both professionals with a great life.

21 hours ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

Probably the years I smoked large quantities weed. I don't remember what they were though.

Why no weed these days? I have a medical marijuana card but the shit is so fuckin expensive I stopped all together. The amount they give you for the price you pay is criminal. Plus my tolerance grew and as an addict I needed more and more for my preferable high. Wasted so much $ I'm embarrassed to say the approximate amount.

Probably mid 20s. I made enough to live a comfortable life abs go out on the weekends. Work was a 8-5 job and didn’t have to worry about being on call or making important decisions. I came out of my shell with dating and really had not much to worry about.

My 30s has seen moving up in work, but not sure if the added stress has been worth it. Went through a divorce, lost my grandpa that I was super close too and then lost my dad.  Meeting my current gf and traveling Europe pre covid was the saving grace of my 30s.

Sadly when I worked at Blockbuster when I was 17. I wasn’t fat yet, still had hair. For a bs retail job it was pretty sweet. Sure I got paid $6.25 an hour but gas like a buck a gallon and it was before we all had cellphones. Plus I worked in Newport Beach. Got invited to random rich kids parties. Got free movie rentals. Didn’t have a care in the world and had a great time.