MS announces Xbox TV app and streaming stick

SaysWho?

Xbox_Devices_Halo.png
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

No pricing or release date on the Xbox streaming stick yet.

Microsoft is working with TV manufacturers to make an Xbox app available on devices soon. The software giant is planning to bring its Xbox Game Pass service to TVs through its xCloud streaming technology, opening up more ways to get access to Xbox games. This will be available as both an app on TVs, and with Microsoft’s own dedicated streaming stick.

“We’re working with global TV manufacturers to embed the Game Pass experience directly into internet-connected TVs so all you’ll need to play is a controller,” says Liz Hamren, head of gaming experiences and platforms at Microsoft.

Microsoft isn’t announcing exactly when this Xbox app will be available on TVs, nor which manufacturers will bundle it on their devices. Xbox chief Phil Spencer previously hinted at an Xbox app for TVs late last year, noting he expects to “see that in the next 12 months.”

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

MS will probably have the best cloud gaming service.  

Agreed. It won't be perfect out of the gate, but they won't let it stagnate like google, imo.

The big thing will obviously be internet speed. Itll be terrible for anyone with bad internet. 

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Agreed. It won't be perfect out of the gate, but they won't let it stagnate like google, imo.

The big thing will obviously be internet speed. Itll be terrible for anyone with bad internet. 

Under ideal conditions cloud gaming is OK.  Good internet, ethernet connection, servers close to your home.

The challenge is that if you're buying a "stick" you're probably using Wi-Fi with your ISP provided router.  If you're playing on your phone, you're either on Wi-Fi or LTE.  Where it is convenient to use cloud gaming, is where the experience is the worst.  Stutters, lag and....

I've used Microsoft's streaming services with xCloud at my parents not so great internet and had a 2 hour co-op session with no real issues.  With them upgrading their servers with Series servers instead of Xbox One S's, it's just going to keep improving.  

• Like 1

They need to let you set your own quality settings. I'd be more than willing to play at a lower resolution if it means less lag. I've played sessions where its bounced back and forth so much it was unplayable.

Let me set my own bitrate.

Edit: i also wonder if these streaming devices will have storage on them to temporarily download certain game info to limit the amount of data streamed. That was kinda their original plan, wasnt it?

MS sure seems to have a significant lead in cloud gaming. It feels like they're the only one with a clear vision for the business and the tech. The best experiences will continue to rely on local hardware, but who knows how long that will last.

• 1 year later...
On 6/10/2021 at 10:30 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

MS Stadia

Not even a little bit. This is something people who already have GamePass will use. It may attract new users, but the focus is the GamePass library and adoption. Stadia required you to buy games individually on top of a service plan, which was always dumb AF.

I understand why they had a hard time with the pricing. They don't want to sell it at a loss, and honestly it's hard to say how profitable a market segment that won't pay for a Series S would be for MS.  If they were really confident that selling a $100 stick would bring in a ton of new customers to the Xbox ecosystem and that Gamepass revenue would quickly make up for a loss, I imagine they'd consider it.

As it stands, I can see why throwing it in TVs and hoping you pick up customers while also continuing to refine the tech makes sense. The Samsung partnership, between not having to provide any hardware and having an advertising partner, is a much easier sell for the time being. He talked about how the Xcloud app is just a fancy PWA, so when the time is right they'll be able to put in on other hardware.

Maybe they just need to push nVidia to put out a new Shield device or partner with Roku. Anyone what might be willing to allow them to monetize inside the app for less than 30%. Amazon would probably rather push Luna, Apple won't budge on their cut, but other TV brands will probably sign on in time.