Naomi Osaka Quits the French Open

Really unfortunate. I think mandatory media availability is dumb. They should require the media to give time to anybody who wants it, but not require they use it.

I hate the NYT...

Osaka, however, refused to bend, even as several other major players, including the No. 3 men’s player Rafael Nadal and No. 1 women’s player Ashleigh Barty, said they disagreed with Osaka and that speaking to the news media was part of the job. Osaka, who made more than $50 million last year in endorsements and prize money, did not appear for a media day news conference and skipped a news conference after her first-round win over Patricia Maria Tig on Sunday in straight sets.

That bullshit line is there just to turn readers against Osaka here. The writer here is reminding their readers of how much she made so that readers will think to themselves "I'd deal with stupid questions for $50m". No, she got that money for her play on the court, not because she signed up to be an ambassador answering the same stupid questions day in and day out.

Defector covered this story better...

GettyImages-1320780506.jpg?w=1080
DEFECTOR.COM

Naomi Osaka’s insistence upon her right to remain silent is ridiculous, admirable, silly, thought-provoking and, well, fascinating. Not necessarily wise, I grant you, in the ways that most of these measuring...

8 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Seriously doubtful she will stay #1 in the world without finishing tournaments lol

she will be the best in the world regardless of whether she competes for the idiots that run the WTA or not. I'd be super surprised is she gave a shit about "world rankings"

We’re not the good guys: Osaka shows up problems of press conferences

That sense of voracious, engorged entitlement often manifests itself in exceptionally creepy ways. Question: “I noticed you tweeted a picture. Are you prepared that if you go on a long run you may be held up as a sex symbol, given you’re very good looking?” (Genie Bouchard, Wimbledon 2013.) Question: “You’re a pin-up now, especially in England. Is that good? Do you enjoy that?” (A 17-year-old Maria Sharapova, Wimbledon 2004.) And of course there are plenty of decent, curious journalists out there doing decent, curious things. In a way, this is what makes the chronic lack of self‑awareness so utterly self-defeating. Read the room. We are not the good guys here. We are no longer the power. And one of the world’s best athletes would literally rather quit a grand slam tournament than have to talk to the press. Rather than scrutinising what that says about her, it might be worth asking what that says about us.

Yup. Yup.

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

Press conferences only exist to give bad or lazy journalists something to work with. A good writer should be able to find enough significance in an athlete's performance that they can write about. 

What was going through your head when you made that mistake / made that game winning play at the end of the game?

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

What was going through your head when you made that mistake / made that game winning play at the end of the game?

You know, I was just trying to give it all, 110%. I wanted to leave it all out on the field. At the end, we just wanted it more than them.

I think there is certainly some validity to the "it's what you signed up for" argument. Kind of like how actors are expected to promote movies and go to press junkets and shit. However, there is also validity to the idea that athletes are basically expected to be publicly owned. Answer any question, if you don't answer, we grill you. If you give the wrong answer, we grill you. If we ask something personal, tough titties.

I lean on the side of thinking press conferences are just fucking stupid. They exist only to feed the media and give them something to feed air time, it's a vapid exercise of verbal masturbation, much like this post.

2 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

This becoming the major talking point for the French Open just illustrates how boring tennis is. Kyrie has been on this train all year and no one cares. 

I think there's a slight difference between Kyrie and the best player the spory has to offer. This would be more akin to LeBron refusing to speak to the press while in Miami, winning championships.

34 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I think there is certainly some validity to the "it's what you signed up for" argument. Kind of like how actors are expected to promote movies and go to press junkets and shit. However, there is also validity to the idea that athletes are basically expected to be publicly owned. Answer any question, if you don't answer, we grill you. If you give the wrong answer, we grill you. If we ask something personal, tough titties.

I lean on the side of thinking press conferences are just fucking stupid. They exist only to feed the media and give them something to feed air time, it's a vapid exercise of verbal masturbation, much like this post.

Nah. Middling players might need to make a name for themselves and entertain the press, but Osaka is irreplaceable. She's not Kyrie-level good. She's the best. She has the talent to dictate the terms of her employment. Any actor can be replaced and recast, but her talent literally doesn't exist anywhere else on Earth.

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

This becoming the major talking point for the French Open just illustrates how boring tennis is. Kyrie has been on this train all year and no one cares. 

I don’t think this is true. The mIf you follow these sports there’s always something interesting happening, if you don’t, something has to move the needle to break the typical news cycle.

At this point in time, the requirement to do press conferences seems more necessary to the press themselves than to the sport or individual athlete.

I can understand that a sport wants its' players to become celebrities. It brings in more attention and therefore more money to the sport. When TV interviews were the only or best way for the public to get to know players, I can understand why you'd mandate them, though exceptions should still be made.

However, it's far from the case now that press conferences are the best or even most notable way for the public to bond with athletes. Social media allows them to (a certain extent) control their own celebrity and public facing image, independent of forced press conferences. Especially in an individual sport like tennis, the necessity of official press conferences feels dubious at best, except of course, for the press, who desperately need that time.

The sport I follow most closely is Formula 1, and there are drivers (especially the young guys) that embrace Instagram/Twitter/YouTube/Twitch/etc. and those that avoid it entirely, not even having a managed account. I know they do very lengthy press conferences all the time, but they're very rarely interesting or worthwhile. If the eliminated them entirely I'd hardly notice.

Mandatory press availability is about appeasing the sports press so they want to cover your sport. It’s all access nonsense.

This is a local Houston film reviewer who doesn’t want to review the film because he won’t have enough time to put it out before normies can see it. He doesn’t do what he does because he loves cinema and wants to engage with it, he does it because it gets him access to movies early.

The sports media operates the same way, they demand preferred access or else they will take their ball and go home. More top athletes should skip them and make the sports media realize they don’t need them anymore.

5 minutes ago, Biggie said:

No person is bigger than the game

And no part of Osaka's problems here have anything to do with the game.

The old rich guys that run sports stations and newspapers think they're the arbiters of access to athletes and that hasn't been the case for years now. Athletes and celebrities have so much direct access to their fans that traditional media has to adapt. Twenty years ago, it was enough to just have a talkshow host just talk because they had no other way to reach millions. These days celebrities go on The Tonight Show to play charades because clips for YouTube are more important than anything people have to say I'm any formal setting. If I really wanted to know what Osaka is up to I can just check out her Instagram.

I'd love for you to tell me about the last actually insightful press conference that told you something you didn't already know.

The best question I've seen asked at any of these dumb press conferences is when Jimmy Kimmel's Guillermo asked LeBron to describe his perfect salad and even that was years ago.

To chime in further on this, just because it annoys me, I think there's a very good case for why press conferences are actually the worst kind of media we get from sports figures these days.

Basically every answer is some canned response that gives you no insight into the person, the sport, or the game that was just played/about to be played. I don't want to hear how "they just outplayed us" or "we just wanted it more than they did" or "so and so just put in a great performance" or "we're just focused on the playoffs" or whatever.

The poster boy for this is probably Bill Belichick. His press conferences are kinda funny because he's so predictable and terse (we're on to *insert next opponent*), but he's very much there only because he's required to be. His breakdown videos however, which I think the does after every game, are wonderful. They're obviously the product of him having had the time to review the film as he walks you through all the moves and countermoves that happened in a play or a drive or a game. You get a lot of "we saw that they were playing this defense" or "we were having a hard time covering player X" so "we changed our scheme" or "player Z caught on to that habit and exploited it" or whatever. They're wonderful videos as someone that wants to appreciate the game on the level it's being played.

Those videos so clearly demonstrate the complexity of what is going on and are both informative and almost make Belichick seem like a real person. They're also clearly the kind of communication he prefers: prepared segments diving deep into every detail about football. They're so much better than the press conferences or any commentator's post game highlights.

Everyone is backing away from the harsher language they had been using ever since Osaka opened up on social media.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F0906%2Fr427268_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

Grand Slam tennis tournaments are pledging to address players' mental health concerns in the wake of Naomi Osaka withdrawing from the French Open.

I'm sure this is mostly to avoid the bad press and they'll actually do nothing.