Naomi Osaka Quits the French Open

Let’s keep in mind that sports journalism is so dumb that when Michael Jordan’s dad was murdered, a non trivial amount of writers put out, “I don’t know guys, maybe this had something to do with MJ’s gambling problem,” pieces, based on… nothing. They did that to Michael fucking Jordan, there’s no chance they’re going to treat someone like Osaka well, pick whatever combination of reasons for that feels right and you probably won’t be wrong. 

23 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Let’s keep in mind that sports journalism is so dumb that when Michael Jordan’s dad was murdered, a non trivial amount of writers put out, “I don’t know guys, maybe this had something to do with MJ’s gambling problem,” pieces, based on… nothing. They did that to Michael fucking Jordan, there’s no chance they’re going to treat someone like Osaka well, pick whatever combination of reasons for that feels right and you probably won’t be wrong. 

And yet Jordan lived up to his professional responsibility like a boss. Always answer questions after games. Imagine that. 

Annoy Jordan Rodgers GIF by The Bachelorette

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

And yet Jordan lived up to his professional responsibility like a boss. Always answer questions after games. Imagine that. 

Annoy Jordan Rodgers GIF by The Bachelorette

I forgot that Instagram, Twitter, FB, Tik Tok, etc. existed in the 90s

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I forgot that Instagram, Twitter, FB, Tik Tok, etc. existed in the 90s

This.

Jordan hated the press. Had social media existed then like it does today, he would have dumped the press conferences and controlled his narrative, himself. Does anyone really think otherwise? This is the man that opted out of NBPA because he wanted more control over himself.

7 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Remember when Osaka was told "we can't wait for that next mask" in response to the masks she wore commemorating black folks recently murdered?

8061ab3bc42a4f799dcbe16d2403a9a03be56675
7NEWS.COM.AU

The tennis great has doubled down after being slammed over a baffling question in a post-match interview with Naomi Osaka.

The sports press am very smart.

19 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Imagine comparing the pressure of answering questions from the press from Jordan's perspective and this tennis player. :jordan:

Chris Everett brought up several good points in an interview I watched last night regarding this... One, A lot of the press covering these tournaments aren't even "sports journalists". They're tabloid reporters looking to stir up shit and she suggested really vetting journalists before they give out credentials. I imagine its even worse now with all of the semi-professional bloogers and youtubers who get press credentials for certain sports.This is a problem in boxing too and their unprofessionalism can really disrupt actual press conferences.

Point two, a lot of these tennis starts are REALLY young. Naomi Osaka is what 23? and has been playing professionally for how long? No teling what kind of stress and pressure that has put on her mental health.

i’ve found that the best kinds of media don’t even really need to talk to any of the athletes and staff. 

in MMA, 99% of media is reporting news of matchups and interviews where they ask the same questions. “What are you gonna try and do out there on saturday?” “what about x presents challenges?” and blah blah blah. There are a few people in mma media that actually take the time to analyze what we see during the fights and talk about improvements from fight to fight, how x fighter won, etc. stuff i can actually learn from. then maybe like one other journalist that does really insightful pieces.

Those are the things that are interesting. not what naomi osaka thinks about her next opponent (hint: basically same answer she gives every time).

32 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Black folk need to stay humble, duh

Silly black person, everyone knows only white men can be outwardly confident, everyone else is just uppity (women) or cocky (men)

We haven't figured out a word for confident trans folks yet, but we'll get there.

Cool, the French Open says they handled this situation well...

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2021%2F0531%2Fr861332_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

French Open organizers say they took a "pragmatic" approach in their dealings with Naomi Osaka earlier in the tournament, insisting they tried to engage with her several times before she decided to...