Lies of P (aka "Pinocchio Bloodborne" - PC/PlayStation/XBox), update: "Lies of P x Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Collaboration Trailer"

My minor complaints so far would be:

I feel bosses have these attacks that are just so hard to properly respond to because the animations are just so fast or lack a visually clear animation. At times it feels like you aren't allowed to "react" to attacks, but rather, you have to block preemptively. I feel that it is much harder to succeed on a first attempt than it should be.

The levels are super easy compared to bosses. Except for elite mobs and mini-bosses, everything is like 1-2 hit trash. There are two major enemy types, Puppets and Zombies. I didn't know about the Zombies and I was kinda let down when I encountered them. It's just a tired enemy type. I'm over fighting them.

The weird secondary currency mechanic. Although it has only just been introduced, it seems particularly useless. And it's on an in-game timer so every ten minutes you get 1 currency. Currency does not build up when you are out of the game which is fine considering how useless it seems.

There are a few levels that aren't in the city and I can say I am a fan of their design. Honestly, BB had the same issue. I really like the gothic cities, and have no desire to leave them for the backwoods. Makes the zombies even worse for me as that is where you first encounter them.

• Thanks 2

Some good things with some buts:

They do a great job of tricking you into thinking the world is actually interconnected despite there being obvious loading screens for some levels. Oh, and the game isn't really divided into levels. Like, if I were talking about Dark Souls, I would call the Undead Parish a level or Blight Town a level even tho they are connected without loading screens. There are levels that are connected without loading screens in LoP, but not all of them.

I think there are plenty of weapons to pick from. However, I think people will end up gravitating to whatever gives them the most speed and reach within their build. I still love my chode, but I have a hard time hitting bosses with it. I have ended up using the chode on basic mobs but a special spear sword for bosses.

The p-organ is a nice addition that gives you a good sense of progression, but I think there are some options that are just better than others, like a second dodge you can make mid-dodge, more Estus, and extra trinket slot, and a recovery dodge.

It's a pretty good hybrid of Dark Souls and Sekiro gameplay with a BB theme.

You can get an upgrade that lets you apply an element to your weapon. You only get one charge so you always save it for bosses or special enemies, but the charge refills when you rest/die. Still, it is very nice to have a least one charge of fire or lightning weapon on demand.

Something that is just fine is the legion arms. You could view legion arms as something to replace the trick aspect of trick weapons and also the firearms from BB, but Legion arms aren't better than either. I wish the default legion arm was a proper legion arm as it's actually my favorite as it's just a big ol punch, but you can't upgrade it and it gets outclassed by the lightning legion arm. There's a grappling hook arm, lightning arm, flame arm, gun arm, shield arm, necro arm, and mine arm, but the only one where you actually hit the enemy with your legion arm is the basic legion arm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Liking it so far. Barely beat the first main boss on my third try. I gotta remember to use the fable arts and the arm ability. My biggest challenge is trying to figure out when it’s best to dodge or go for the perfect guard.

It unlocked for you or you bought it early access? I thought it didn't unlock until midnight.

Ok, another complaint that I should have mentioned earlier is the translation. Somewhere along the way this game was translated from Korean into English and MAN does it show. Like, some of the shit is total nonsense. The main story seems pretty understandable, but there is still just so much nonsense.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Lies of P (aka "Pinnochio Bloodborne" - PC/PlayStation/XBox, 19 September 2023), update: Fextralife build guides posted

Only played like 3ish hours last night but this is as close to Bloodborne 2 as there is. I guess I just suck at vidya games because I find this game to be hard, even early on. It's already chock full of From level design complete with ambushes and enemies that can delete your health quickly if you mess up right in the first area after the first main boss. Took me like 10 tries just to get to the second bonfire and that's where I stopped. The perfect guarding is taking me awhile to time right and there doesn't seem to be a huge advantage other than not taking damage to do so. At least in Bloodborne a gun parry gut you an automatic stagger.

Anyway of all the Soulsborne games other studios have made, this is the only one I've wanted to keep playing. Every other game just felt off and I quickly bounced off. This one doesn't 100% nail the FromSoft feeling, but it's the closest anyone has gotten. If you loved Bloodborne or Souls games in general give it a try. If you didn't like Bloodborne or Souls games this is not for you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Lies of P (aka "Pinocchio Bloodborne" - PC/PlayStation/XBox, 19 September 2023), update: Fextralife build guides posted
7 hours ago, Dodger said:

Only played like 3ish hours last night but this is as close to Bloodborne 2 as there is. I guess I just suck at vidya games because I find this game to be hard, even early on. It's already chock full of From level design complete with ambushes and enemies that can delete your health quickly if you mess up right in the first area after the first main boss. Took me like 10 tries just to get to the second bonfire and that's where I stopped. The perfect guarding is taking me awhile to time right and there doesn't seem to be a huge advantage other than not taking damage to do so. At least in Bloodborne a gun parry gut you an automatic stagger.

Anyway of all the Soulsborne games other studios have made, this is the only one I've wanted to keep playing. Every other game just felt off and I quickly bounced off. This one doesn't 100% nail the FromSoft feeling, but it's the closest anyone has gotten. If you loved Bloodborne or Souls games in general give it a try. If you didn't like Bloodborne or Souls games this is not for you. 

To me it 100% feels like a Soulsborne game, but smoother hahaha. But This game is actually pretty fuckin' tough. Like nearing Sekiro levels but not quite. Like. Personally, I've found most bosses to be harder than most BB bosses. Def harder than the majority of ER bosses except for like 3-4 ER bosses.

• Sad 2
  • Halal 1

I beat it. Good game. Great gauntlet of final bosses tho the 1st one is the hardest.

The ending could have been slightly better. Like, it was not a bad ending in any regard, just for the amount of bosses I had to fight back to back I would have liked it to be epic or something. It's why I always go for the Dark Lord endings in the Dark Souls games. That and maybe a bit longer. Like, there are boss phase transitions that are longer than the ending. 

One final complaint I'd like to add is that Fable/MP doesn't recharge after death. It feels really shit TBH. Like, you can get it refilled anytime you enter the training area so it's just extra shitty it doesn't refill on rest. I see no reason for it not to. If there is ever a mod for that I'd add it in for another play-thru. And like, what is insulting is that you can get a perk that "restores fable" on death, but 1, it is only on death and not on rest, and 2, it is only one charge of fable, it doesn't fill all your bars.

There is actually a fair amount of stuff that is "basic souls" stuff that is either not in the game or locked behind the P-Organ like a wakeup dodge and consecutive dodges. And man, there are a lot of unclear options in regard to the P-Organ Perks because of how bad the translation is. That is probably the single worst aspect of the game.

Overall, tho, the game is really fun if you are a Souls enjoyer. It has some really cool weapons, and while the story it mid, the events are pretty great. Like, having a "defined" character was actually a big bonus and it made the game better. I'm interested in seeing where this dev goes next. I hope they get a lot of sales and make a new one. And about their next game (pretty sure this is like actual spoilers you'll want to find out on your own)

Spoiler

They set up a Dorothy(Wizard of Oz) sequel/DLC and hint towards Peter Pan if you read the note from Giangio after the final boss. Edit: Well, I might be wrong on that. The note reads PP. I thought peter pan, but people are saying it's Philippus Paracelsus which makes more sense.

Also, make sure you don't enter NG+ right away. Press B or O or whatever, not A to "continue". It's worded weirdly.

Easy 9/10 for me. I can see some people who aren't in love with the Souls format giving it a 7-8/10 and that is probably fair, but this game is EXACTLY what I want to see from new Souls likes. That it lacks some basic Souls standards will hurt it a lot for some people. But like, I enjoyed this WAY more than ER. I'd say I enjoyed it nearly as much as Dark Souls and BB. I think I like it better than Sekiro, but I was never a huge fan of Sekiro.

e: oh and it's like a 40-ish hour game. I had some long AFK times but I clocked in at like 44 hours when I beat the boss. I am at 45 now with in-game time. Steam time is 46.9 hours. Honestly, a perfect-length game.

• Hugs 1
  • Hype 1

Ok I'm lost in the factory. I beat the boss in the swamp but there doesn't seem to be a path out, and if I go the other way to the other swamp there doesn't seem to have a path forward either. 

I'm trying out the advance build, since the stick you get early is a clear damage upgrade over the starter weapon. However its range is shit. 

They need to figure out how to get PVP in the game. They'd get a lot more of the "SoulsBorne" community interested. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Lies of P (aka "Pinocchio Bloodborne" - PC/PlayStation/XBox), update: Fextralife build guides posted
4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Dumb. While I didn't watch the whole video, this ain't fuckin' DnD. Making a "storm" build is fuckin' dumb. Every boss has an elemental weakness. Some are weak to electric, specifically puppets, while the carcass monsters are weak to fire. Making a build based on electric damage is dumb. I say all of this a someone who beat the game using exactly this build before it was even made a build.

Spoilers, but proof.

Spoiler

gaEEDKN.png

yZYXfkt.png

• Halal 1