Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (30 May 2024) - Biden gives Ukraine permission to strike some targets inside Russia with American weapons

20 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Oh for fucks sake, now we’re doing the name AND the flag emoji?

I 🙋🏻‍♂️ think 🤔 it helps 💪🏻 to clarify 🔍 the context for idiots :flag:

:p Yeah it's annoying. Do not want. 

• Guillotine 1

ISW analysis for 27 March 2022:

WWW.UNDERSTANDINGWAR.ORG

Russian forces have not abandoned efforts to reconstitute forces northwest of Kyiv to resume major offensive operations, and the commander of Russia’s Eastern Military District (EMD) may be personally commanding the operations. The Ukrainian General S

Russian forces have not abandoned efforts to reconstitute forces northwest of Kyiv to resume major offensive operations, and the commander of Russia’s Eastern Military District (EMD) may be personally commanding the operations. The Ukrainian General Staff reported that Russia’s 35th Combined Arms Army is rotating damaged units into Belarus and that Russian forces established a command post for all EMD forces operating around Kyiv in the Chernobyl area. Ongoing Russian efforts to replace combat losses in EMD units and deploy additional reinforcements forward are unlikely to enable Russia to successfully resume major operations around Kyiv in the near future. The increasingly static nature of the fighting around Kyiv reflects the incapacity of Russian forces rather than any shift in Russian objectives or efforts at this time.

Ukrainian forces continued to conduct limited counterattacks in several locations, recapturing territory east of Kyiv, in Sumy Oblast, and around Kharkiv in the past 24 hours. Ukrainian counterattacks are likely enabling Ukrainian forces to recapture key terrain and disrupt Russian efforts to resume major offensive operations. Likely escalating Ukrainian partisan operations around Kherson are additionally tying down Russian forces. Russian forces continue to make slow but steady progress in Mariupol, but Russian assaults largely failed elsewhere in the past 24 hours.

Key Takeaways

• Russian Eastern Military District (EMD) Commander Colonel-General Alexander Chayko may be personally commanding efforts to regroup Russian forces in Belarus and resume operations to encircle Kyiv from the west. The Kremlin is highly unlikely to have abandoned its efforts to encircle Kyiv but will likely be unable to cohere the combat power necessary to resume major offensive operations in the near future.
  • Neither Russian nor Ukrainian forces conducted major operations northwest of Kyiv in the last 24 hours.
  • Ukrainian forces counterattacking east of Brovary since March 24 successfully retook territory late on March 26.
  • Ukrainian forces conducted limited counterattacks in Sumy Oblast on March 26-27.
  • Fighting continued around Izyum in the past 24 hours, with little territory changing hands.
  • Russian forces continued steady advances in Mariupol.
  • Ukrainian partisans around Kherson continue to tie down Rosgvardia units in the region, likely hindering Russian capabilities to resume offensive operations in the southern direction.

The Ukrainian General Staff continued to report Russian difficulties to replace personnel and equipment losses. The General Staff reported on March 27 that Russian forces are increasingly using old and substandard ammunition, leading to a rise in the rate of accidents at Russian arsenals and depots, particularly highlighting the use of old munitions by the 35th Combined Arms Army’s 165th Artillery Brigade, operating northwest of Kyiv.[1] The General Staff additionally stated that Russia has deployed up to nine logistics battalions and up to five “main logistics centers” to Ukraine to solve ongoing supply challenges.[2] 

DraftUkraineCoTMarch27,2022.png

Excellent article that examines why a developed NCO cadre is the strength of the American and other Western military forces, and by extension why the lack thereof is perhaps a fatal weakness of the Russian:

ArmySGT.jpg?auto=webp
TASKANDPURPOSE.COM

"You can’t eat, you can’t sleep, you can’t shoot, you can’t physically train without an effective NCO."

16 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Excellent article that examines why a developed NCO cadre is the strength of the American and other Western military forces, and by extension why the lack thereof is perhaps a fatal weakness of the Russian:

ArmySGT.jpg?auto=webp
TASKANDPURPOSE.COM

"You can’t eat, you can’t sleep, you can’t shoot, you can’t physically train without an effective NCO."

I read the article and I'm kind of unclear on the point, it didn't have enough different people saying basically the same thing over and over again to get its point across. Seems like they need a comms NCO. 

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

ArmySGT.jpg?auto=webp
TASKANDPURPOSE.COM

One of the first lessons you learn at the Academy is about the NCO corps, in that when you're in the middle of battle, quite often the ability of an NCO to make a split decision at a very specific time can turn the entire battle so that the officers making the higher end decisions can react and bring the rest of the units back up to speed. One of the strongest points of the US military is that officers brief their NCOs on what needs to be done so that an enlisted leader can immediately switch to plan B or C in the middle of a crisis situation. Other armies, not willing to give that type of command to enlisted personnel, are basically only capable of standing still, retreating or surrendering when they haven't been trained to continue whatever the overall objective is. I'm not surprised that Russians are stuck in Ukraine right now; that's what they were taught. Take out their command structure, and they're just a bunch of soldiers standing around, waiting for orders.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

CNN interviewed two Ukrainian Air Force pilots regarding the air defense efforts. 

Juice and Moonfish are the new Goose and Maverick. 

Here's hoping that this 'Goose' has a different outcome!

16 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Except that Putin will be facing a re-militarized Western/Central Europe, something that I don't think he bargained for.

On the other hand, he would have successfully invaded a neighboring country and essentially only suffered economic retaliation for doing so, which he probably now believes Russia can indefinitely handle.

I don’t think he’d try to invade Poland or anything, but I don’t see anything about this war that would convince him taking Western Ukraine is out of the question.  

If he tries, I hate to say it, but NATO may have to respond with an actual military counteroffensive.  If anything Poland will demand it.

33 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

On the other hand, he would have successfully invaded a neighboring country and essentially only suffered economic retaliation for doing so, which he probably now believes Russia can indefinitely handle.

I don’t think he’d try to invade Poland or anything, but I don’t see anything about this war that would convince him taking Western Ukraine is out of the question.  

If he tries, I hate to say it, but NATO may have to respond with an actual military counteroffensive.  If anything Poland will demand it.

If Putin was feeling REALLY devious, he'd propose a partition of Ukraine between Poland (western Ukraine) and Russia (eastern Ukraine) because there are definitely some Polish nationalists who wouldn't necessarily object to that idea.

I really do have to agree with Macron here as Biden's "off-script" remark during his speech in Poland does represent an "unforced error" in what has otherwise been a relatively flawless policy execution from the administration thus far.  At best, the remark is unnecessarily inflammatory and at worst, it's potentially dangerous:

1800.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

French president cautions against verbal escalations after US is forced to deny it is seeking regime change

It also put the administration in the position of having to clarify what Biden meant which in light of the history of American foreign policy regarding "regime change" is somewhat laughable to say the very least:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/684412136969207949/957558994090725386/video_2022-03-19_20-35-54.mp4

_123914678_hi074937317.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Ukraine's president says his country is open to adopting a neutral status as part of a possible peace deal.

tl;dr:

• Zelenskyy willing to talk with Putin directly
  • Willing to accept "neutrality" been NATO and Russia, but only after putting it to national referendum, and only with security guarantees from both sides
  • Wants borders back to pre-Feb 24 invasion
    • Will not accept that Donbas and Crimea have left Ukraine legally, but also will not insist on their return (nor fight militarily to regain them)

I think this is a pragmatic stance for Zelenskyy, the major hurdles would be getting some kind of defense agreement with other European nations, as well as getting the public to accept it over NATO membership. And it's not mentioned if this would prevent EU membership.

19 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If Putin was feeling REALLY devious, he'd propose a partition of Ukraine between Poland (western Ukraine) and Russia (eastern Ukraine) because there are definitely some Polish nationalists who wouldn't necessarily object to that idea.

But they're all in Poland. Between 1919 and 1945, there were... let's say "population exchanges" that make the areas less diverse now!

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:
_123914678_hi074937317.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Ukraine's president says his country is open to adopting a neutral status as part of a possible peace deal.

tl;dr:

• Zelenskyy willing to talk with Putin directly
  • Willing to accept "neutrality" been NATO and Russia, but only after putting it to national referendum, and only with security guarantees from both sides
  • Wants borders back to pre-Feb 24 invasion
    • Will not accept that Donbas and Crimea have left Ukraine legally, but also will not insist on their return (nor fight militarily to regain them)

I think this is a pragmatic stance for Zelenskyy, the major hurdles would be getting some kind of defense agreement with other European nations, as well as getting the public to accept it over NATO membership. And it's not mentioned if this would prevent EU membership.

These seems like the best option. 

I just can't understand what sort of "guarantees" could be provided to Ukraine that would mean anything. 

5 minutes ago, CayceG said:

These seems like the best option. 

I just can't understand what sort of "guarantees" could be provided to Ukraine that would mean anything. 

If any agreement allows Ukraine to keep whatever military they want, then theoretically other countries could sell them a bunch of stuff for $1 and Ukraine would have a military more than equal to the task of holding Russia back.