Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (13 June 2024) - US and Ukraine sign bilateral security agreement for long-term supply and cooperation

I’ve always wondered, how effective would modern missile defense be against a nuclear attack? Obviously enough warheads could be launched that it more or less doesn’t matter (can’t neutralize all of them), but if Putin were to actually order a tactical strike, what are the odds it could be stopped?

6 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I’ve always wondered, how effective would modern missile defense be against a nuclear attack? Obviously enough warheads could be launched that it more or less doesn’t matter (can’t neutralize all of them), but if Putin were to actually order a tactical strike, what are the odds it could be stopped?

Zero. Our missile defenses aren't arrayed to stop a nuclear strike from Russia, nor were they intended to. 

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

Pretty spicy to see a high ranking naval officer get liquidated.  

General Petreaus was on CNN earlier saying the reason why so many high ranking Generals are getting killed is because The Russians don't have a non-commisioned Officer Corp. and that puts them in harm's way more often because they have to actively engage with the rank and file... and the Ukranian Snipers are VERY good.

• Ukraine 1

51 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

General Petreaus was on CNN earlier saying the reason why so many high ranking Generals are getting killed is because The Russians don't have a non-commisioned Officer Corp. and that puts them in harm's way more often because they have to actively engage with the rank and file... and the Ukranian Snipers are VERY good.

That's really quite a very plausible explanation.

An experienced non-commissioned officer corps is something that Western militaries take great care in cultivating.

38 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Canada also has a ton of world class snipers that also hopped over there to help fight for Ukraine. Many holding records for longest distance confirmed kill. Wonder if some might be their work and/or they are helping train some Ukraine fighters

6 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Canada also has a ton of world class snipers that also hopped over there to help fight for Ukraine. Many holding records for longest distance confirmed kill. Wonder if some might be their work and/or they are helping train some Ukraine fighters

Possible. It makes sense that Canada and the U.S. would have some of the best snipers in the world considering how much hunting is a part of both countries' cultures. I remember watching a docementary on the revolutionary war years ago that said one of the reasons why we did so well against the British was because our soldiers were better shots due to having hunt for survival. 

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Possible. It makes sense that Canada and the U.S. would have some of the best snipers in the world considering how much hunting is a part of both countries' cultures. I remember watching a docementary on the revolutionary war years ago that said one of the reasons why we did so well against the British was because our soldiers were better shots due to having hunt for survival. 

That reads like a 2A fetishist jerking off tbh. 

• True 4
  • Sicko 1

42 minutes ago, Jason said:

That reads like a 2A fetishist jerking off tbh. 

Maybe... doesn't mean it isn't true. I dont' think anyone hear would accuse me of being a Second Ammendment Fetishist but whatever. It was definitely in the documentary I saw. and it lines up with the facts about both country's histories whether you agree with it or not.

EDIT: I left out a not insignificant part of the documentary that expanded on the notion of us being better shots because of hunting smaller game.  Squirrels and racoons and other varmints like that. Made sense to me when I heard it then and it makes sense now :shrug:

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I've seen many, many anecdotal reports that this conflict has not only solidified the Ukrainian identity, but it's also solidified an anti-Russian hatred in the entire country, even the eastern areas that were previously closer to Russia.

Same here. If the goal of the war was to permanently absorb Ukraine into Russia's sphere of influence, that has backfired ten-fold.

25 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Maybe... doesn't mean it isn't true. I dont' think anyone hear would accuse me of being a Second Ammendment Fetishist but whatever. It was definitely in the documentary I saw. and it lines up with the facts about both country's histories whether you agree with it or not.

EDIT: I left out a not insignificant part of the documentary that expanded on the notion of us being better shots because of hunting smaller game.  Squirrels and racoons and other varmints like that. Made sense to me when I heard it then and it makes sense now :shrug:

I was saying that about what you were relating from the documentary, not you. 

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Zelenky is saying on CNN that Ukraine has wanted to join NATO for years but was refused behind the scenes. He won't say what countries blocked Ukraine's NATO membership. He also said that if Ukraine was a member, this war wouldn't have happened. 

I mean... yeah, but concern over war is probably what blocked Ukraine's entry into NATO in the first place. You can go into a whole "what-if" rabbit hole about NATO and how maybe the Baltic states shouldn't have been let in because that set a precedent which didn't get followed for Ukraine, or maybe they should all have been allowed in and maybe maybe maybe

Ukraine going to the western sphere of influence is what caused Putin to want to invade, so saying "the war wouldn't have happened if Ukraine was allowed to join NATO" is kind of like saying my apartment wouldn't have flooded if it wasn't for that hurricane.

5 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I mean... yeah, but concern over war is probably what blocked Ukraine's entry into NATO in the first place. You can go into a whole "what-if" rabbit hole about NATO and how maybe the Baltic states shouldn't have been let in because that set a precedent which didn't get followed for Ukraine, or maybe they should all have been allowed in and maybe maybe maybe

Ukraine going to the western sphere of influence is what caused Putin to want to invade, so saying "the war wouldn't have happened if Ukraine was allowed to join NATO" is kind of like saying my apartment wouldn't have flooded if it wasn't for that hurricane.

Ukraine was never eligible for entry into NATO anyway because of the pre-existing "frozen conflict" in the Donbass and the Russian occupation of Crimea.

It's the same reason why Georgia and Moldova are ineligible.

The situation with the Baltics was entirely different as there was no "frozen conflict" in which they were participants.

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

Not quite the same thing but I think I get what you're saying. Watch his interview and you'll get a better understanding of how he sees how we came to this point and THEN make up your mind. Don't just go by what I posted because I left out a LOT of important context that he said that I wasn't aware of. And he's STILL leaving things unsaid as well. Other former Soviet contries are in NATO and I think his point is that Putin didn't invade any of THEM because of their NATO membership. He also said that there were a couple of NATO member countries that actively BLOCKED Ukraine's membership and he implied it was due to business deals with Russia. There's a lot more going on behind the scenes than we know so again, I would encourage watching his FULL interview in order to get what he's saying... and NOT saying.

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Not quite the same thing but I think I get what you're saying. Watch his interview and you'll get a better understanding of how he sees how we came to this point and THEN make up your mind. Don't just go by what I posted because I left out a LOT of important context that he said that I wasn't aware of. And he's STILL leaving things unsaid as well. Other former Soviet contries are in NATO and I think his point is that Putin didn't invade any of THEM because of their NATO membership. He also said that there were a couple of NATO member countries that actively BLOCKED Ukraine's membership and he implied it was due to business deals with Russia. There's a lot more going on behind the scenes than we know so again, I would encourage watching his FULL interview in order to get what he's saying... and NOT saying.

With all due respect to President Zelenskyy, I think he has a misunderstanding of Ukraine's situation vis-a-vis NATO.

Ukraine was never even eligible for NATO membership, far less getting to the point where membership could be blocked.

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

With all due respect to President Zelenskyy, I think he has a misunderstanding of Ukraine's situation vis-a-vis NATO.

Ukraine was never even eligible for NATO membership, far less getting to the point where membership could be blocked.

Maybe... I'm just relaying what he said in the interview.

WWW.UNDERSTANDINGWAR.ORG

The Ukrainian General Staff reported for the first time that the Kremlin is preparing its population for a “long war” in Ukraine and implementing increasingly draconian mobilization measures. The General Staff reported the Russian military commissariats o

Russian forces did not make any major advances on March 20. Russian forces around Kyiv are increasingly establishing defensive positions and preparing to deploy further artillery and fire control assets. Ukrainian forces repelled continuing Russian efforts to seize the city of Izyum, southeast of Kharkiv, and Russian forces did not conduct any other offensive operations in northeast Ukraine. Russian forces continue to make slow but steady progress on Luhansk Oblast and around Mariupol, but did not conduct any offensive operations towards Mykolayiv or Kryvyi Rih.

Key Takeaways

• The Ukrainian General Staff reported for the first time that the Kremlin is preparing its population for a “long war” in Ukraine and implementing increasingly draconian mobilization measures, including deploying youth military organization members aged 17-18.
  • Ukrainian forces reportedly killed three Russian regimental commanders in the last 24 hours.
  • Russia’s Wagner Group will likely facilitate the deployment of Libyan fighters to Ukraine.
  • Russian forces are digging in to positions around Kyiv, including the first reports of the war of Russian forces deploying minefields.
  • Ukrainian forces repelled a Russian assault on Izyum, southeast of Kharkiv, and inflicted heavy casualties.
  • Russian forces continued their slow advance into Mariupol but did not achieve any major territorial gains.
  • Ukrainian forces launched further localized counterattacks around Mykolayiv.

UkraineCoTMarch20,2022.png