Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (13 June 2024) - US and Ukraine sign bilateral security agreement for long-term supply and cooperation

3 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:
Chotiner-JohnMearsheimer-2.jpg?mbid=soci
WWW.NEWYORKER.COM

For years, the political scientist has claimed that Putin’s aggression toward Ukraine is caused by Western intervention. Have recent events changed his mind?

Here is an interesting persepctive on why this war is the wests fault from a non Putin bootlicker. I don't really agree with it but its still an interesting read.

Meh, Mearsheimer is definitely a bit of a Putin apologist.  He’s also right about a lot of things, though.  He’s also prone to slip too freely between his ‘descriptive realist’ ethos and his ‘prescriptive moralist’ ethos, without acknowledging it.

If you want some Ukrainian nationalism right now, here are two dances by the Virsky State Ensemble (the national dance company of Ukraine). IMO the best professional dance company in the world.

Hopak (national dance of Ukraine)

Zaporozhian Cossacks

EDIT - And here's a picture of me performing in a Hopak:

GX6RW4Q.jpg

• Ukraine 3

"Yesterday morning in freedom square, we were all Kharkiv residents. We were all bombed in Kyiv last night, and we all died again in Babyn Yar. Although the whole world promises constantly, 'never again.'"

"They have orders to erase our history. Erase our country. Erase us all."

"All the Jews of the world, don't you see what is happening? It is very important that millions of Jews around the world do not remain silent now. Nazism is born in silence. Therefore, scream about the killing of civilians, about the murders in Ukraine."

"What is next, then, if it is Babyn Yar? What other military facilities threaten Russia? What other NATO bases? St. Sophia Cathedral? Lavra? Whatever they dreamed of, to hell with them, because god is with us."

• Ukraine 3

The Ukrainians taking all of this stuff tax free is interesting and funny, but it did remind me of something. 

Back during WW2, it was common for US troops to bring home souvenirs from the war, like a captured pistol or a NAZI flag.  I'm not sure what the actual rules were back then, but now that type of stuff is super forbidden/illegal for US military personnel.  I think I remember getting training on that while I was in the Navy (although I was in no capacity or location to get this type of stuff from Iraq or Afghanistan).

6 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The Ukrainians taking all of this stuff tax free is interesting and funny, but it did remind me of something. 

Back during WW2, it was common for US troops to bring home souvenirs from the war, like a captured pistol or a NAZI flag.  I'm not sure what the actual rules were back then, but now that type of stuff is super forbidden/illegal for US military personnel.  I think I remember getting training on that while I was in the Navy (although I was in no capacity or location to get this type of stuff from Iraq or Afghanistan).

I think my grandpa had a nazi sword but I only saw it like once when I was a little kid so I might be wrong 

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

It all depends on how the command structure treats the item. I had a captured .45 from a Cuban officer in Granada that I carried with me throughout the rest of my career. I actually donated it to the West Point museum after I left the service, but my understanding is that it was mine, if I wanted it. Most of the other stuff that soldiers tended to have were things that command just didn't know about (so a weapon or flag that wasn't reported), which is how a lot of soldiers continued to keep stuff they weren't really supposed to have.

An old coworker’s dad was in the 101st during WWII (in Band of Brothers he was one of the soldiers that traded the apple for the gun; he also snuck a camera overseas and is responsible for a sizable portion of photos of the 101st during the war). When they raided the Eagle’s Nest he came back with all sorts of looted Nazi stuff, including bedsheets, serving dishes, and a music box owned by Hitler. 

• Shocked 2

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

An old coworker’s dad was in the 101st during WWII (in Band of Brothers he was one of the soldiers that traded the apple for the gun; he also snuck a camera overseas and is responsible for a sizable portion of photos of the 101st during the war). When they raided the Eagle’s Nest he came back with all sorts of looted Nazi stuff, including bedsheets, serving dishes, and a music box owned by Hitler. 

I mean how can you not? I understand forbidding this stuff as a measure to prevent plundering and potential erosion of cultures as we've seen happen innumerable times in the past - but fuck the Nazis. I hope all of that wine was plundered from the Eagle's Nest 

2 minutes ago, Comet said:

I mean how can you not? I understand forbidding this stuff as a measure to prevent plundering and potential erosion of cultures as we've seen happen innumerable times in the past - but fuck the Nazis. I hope all of that wine was plundered from the Eagle's Nest 

According to her they took everything that wasn’t nailed down, and even some of the stuff that was!

27 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Take this with a massive grain of salt, but...

I had seen a report that the Russian aircraft were downed by S-300 SAMs and that the UA MiG 29 was shot down.  I'll see if i can find it but possible i just read this one wrong. 

EDIT: Found it.

• Like 1

Also, in reference to the post above, Holodnyi Yar is an important place/name in the history of Ukrainian independence. It's a forest location in Cherkasy, and was the last independent holdout of an independent Ukraine before falling to Soviet forces. Also one of the first recorded inhabited places in Ukraine.

Also, in reference to the post above, Holodnyi Yar is an important place/name in the history of Ukrainian independence. It's a forest location in Cherkasy, and was the last independent holdout of an independent Ukraine before falling to Soviet forces. Also one of the first recorded inhabited places in Ukraine.