Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (30 May 2024) - Biden gives Ukraine permission to strike some targets inside Russia with American weapons

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Ukraine is claiming to have recaptured the bridge over the Dnieper in Kherson.

Translation:

Deputy Minister of Defense of Ukraine Hanna Malyar informs:

️ Defensive battles are being fought in the south of Kherson.
Mechanized units of the Armed Forces recaptured the road bridge and established themselves on the left bank of the Dnieper.

6 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Gotta say, I'm more than a little impressed at the fight the Ukrainians are putting up. Russia is not an easy foe to beat back, but there seem to be hints that they're doing just that.

As of  now, I'm thoroughly UNIMPRESSED by the Russian combat performance thus far.

I don't know if they're holding back their strength in reserve or their unit-level commanders aren't totally on-board with this mission and are slow-walking it or if their combat effectiveness just ain't that great, but whatever it is, I hope it damned well continues so they can keep getting punched in the nose.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

As of  now, I'm thoroughly UNIMPRESSED by the Russian combat performance.

I don't know if they're holding back or their unit-level commanders aren't totally on-board with this mission or if their combat effectiveness just ain't that great, but whatever it is, I hope it damned well continues so they can keep getting punched in the nose.

It's got to be a hit on your morale to know you're despised world-wide right now and you're throwing people out of their homes and causing death and destruction. Not that that has stopped the U.S. from being bastards or anything. But I have to imagine that a consequential number of Russian soldiers are just like ryanreynoldsbutwhy.gif right now.

Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

It's got to be a hit on your morale to know you're despised world-wide right now and you're throwing people out of their homes and causing death and destruction. Not that that has stopped the U.S. from being bastards or anything. But I have to imagine that a consequential number of Russian soldiers are just like ryanreynoldsbutwhy.gif right now.

I wonder if Putin's rhetoric about Ukraine being full of Russians in need of liberation is backfiring to some extent. If you've successfully convinced your troops that's true then it's gonna cause some problems when you tell them to go in and slaughter their countrymen. 

• True 1

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

As of  now, I'm thoroughly UNIMPRESSED by the Russian combat performance thus far.

I don't know if they're holding back their strength in reserve or their unit-level commanders aren't totally on-board with this mission and are slow-walking it or if their combat effectiveness just ain't that great, but whatever it is, I hope it damned well continues so they can keep getting punched in the nose.

Maybe they feel closeness to the Ukranians as neighbors?

Just now, 5timechamp said:

Maybe they feel closeness to the Ukranians as neighbors?

That's absolutely a reasonable assumption, similar to what @Jason said above.

There is probably/definitely a stronger "connection" between large segments of the Russian and Ukrainian societies through familial relationships, etc. than between Americans and Canadians.

1 minute ago, Air_Delivery said:

I think also while the elite units of the Russian military are very well trained the bulk of the infantry are complete garbage and completely outclassed by Western countries especially US/UK/France. Furthermore Ukraine has been fighting Russia for 8 years, they aren't a bunch of greenhorns. 

While this is definitely true, their elite Air Assault unit got chased into the woods :p

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's absolutely a reasonable assumption, similar to what @Jason said above.

There is probably/definitely a stronger "connection" between large segments of the Russian and Ukrainian societies through familial relationships, etc. than between Americans and Canadians.

Absolutely. It's interesting in that RU/UA have different languages (compared to US/CA), but are closer culturally.

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

While this is definitely true, their elite Air Assault unit got chased into the woods :p

This just shows bad planning. I don't care how elite the forces are, its fucking hard to take out an embedded force.

Also I'm guessing NATO and the US are providing them with ample intelligence.

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

So here's the trillion dollar question: what does Putin do if the Russian invasion stalls long enough to become a bit of a quagmire?

I’m guessing he has this shit dialed to around a 4/10 to test out waters and can amplify the show of force to get what he wants fairly easily. Of course collateral damage will be awful

18 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm a little worried in the way Putin will escalate. The ideal situation is that he somehow gets ousted by the rest of Russian leadership/oligarchs, but given how much of this is about Putin's personal ambitions I'd be concerned he goes scorched earth if things start looking grim. Not suggesting nuclear weapons, but being more indiscriminate in tactics.

Ukrainian sources are saying that their fighter bombers were able to launch strikes on the Russian air assault unit to help beat them back. We actually have a photo of this:

FMYXpeCX0AEozBi.png

Anywho. Other reports (rumors, really) are that a Ukrainian fighter was able to down Russian fighters. I do not know how true that is. But that photo of a Ukrainian Su-24 operating unhindered against the air assault unit means Russia absolutely did NOT have air superiority over Kyiv. 

• Like 2
  • Ukraine 2