Rick and Morty return June 20th

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 4:49 AM, cusideabelincoln said:

So I just started watching this, for the first time, and am up to season 4.

Since season 5 is the latest, are all the episodes out now censored?  How would I watch uncensored episodes? After watching the series completely uncensored I don't think I can watch censored episodes.

I wasn't even aware that there were censored and uncensored episodes? I just get them online, they've always been uncensored I believe.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think Rick having a “canonical backstory” is dumb and that evil Morty was much more interesting as a false flag, but those were for sure the best episodes in an otherwise okay season.

It felt very much like they had the final two episodes written first, then just needed to fill in the rest. 

I haven't actually watched the last 3 episodes yet... but this season has kind of confirmed my fears that a show like Rick & Morty will be very hard to keep feeling fresh for 100 episodes.

It's so gonzo and over the top, where do they even go? It's like they painted themselves into a corner too soon. I don't even know if its really worse now, but it's going to be hard to keep this formula going for such a long stretch.

1 hour ago, ort said:

I haven't actually watched the last 3 episodes yet... but this season has kind of confirmed my fears that a show like Rick & Morty will be very hard to keep feeling fresh for 100 episodes.

It's so gonzo and over the top, where do they even go? It's like they painted themselves into a corner too soon. I don't even know if its really worse now, but it's going to be hard to keep this formula going for such a long stretch.

Those last episodes give them places.

18 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think Rick having a “canonical backstory” is dumb and that evil Morty was much more interesting as a false flag, but those were for sure the best episodes in an otherwise okay season.

“I hate this, but also, I love this” -Kal-El on basically everything 

• 2 months later...
Just now, SaysWho? said:

Just purchased Seasons 1 - 4.

Trying not to read anything about the episodes in 5. Seeing as Season 5 released yesterday, would you folks recommend it quality-wise?

Season 5 has some of the show’s highest highs and lowest lows. If you care about “the plot” I’d say it’s essential regardless of quality.

4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Just purchased Seasons 1 - 4.

Trying not to read anything about the episodes in 5. Seeing as Season 5 released yesterday, would you folks recommend it quality-wise?

I definitely would.

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Season 5 has some of the show’s highest highs and lowest lows. If you care about “the plot” I’d say it’s essential regardless of quality.

Yeah, pretty much this.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I definitely would.

Yeah, pretty much this.

You guys are the latest to tell me that: some fantastic episodes, but some average episodes too.

Is it like season 6 of Star Trek: TNG? I remember that being less consistent than 5 but having some real gems.

12 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

You guys are the latest to tell me that: some fantastic episodes, but some average episodes too.

Is it like season 6 of Star Trek: TNG? I remember that being less consistent than 5 but having some real gems.

Kind of? I’d say season 5 attempts to be have a greater number of “emotional” episodes by count than earlier seasons. Some of them work really well, others don’t. It probably has the “worst” episode by far, assuming that a clunker or two from season 1 when the show was figuring itself out “don’t count.” I would say it’s the least consistent season, but I have no idea if that’s the general consensus. 

Again though if you care about some of the threads that have been mid-weave for a few seasons now, they move forward in season 5. Hope that’s not too spoilery!

• Thanks 1

I still haven't finished season 5. It's kinda a blur now, but I feel like the season had like 4 episodes in a row that could all be considered the worst episodes ever. They just weren't landing for me.

I still need to watch the last 3, which I hear are much much better.

It kinda makes me sad, because I love that show and do not want it to lose it's magic, but I kinda feel it slipping away slowly.