Thundercats HOOOO!

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

First, I really hope they go practical with the makeup. Second, wearing clothes will make it so much less creepy than whatever this is.

I’m in a place where Godzilla vs. Kong has gone well with Warner Bros. They love the movie, as we were wrapping it. I heard there was a ThunderCats script out there and it happened to be set up with some of my producers on Death Note. I asked them, I want to rewrite this script with my friend Simon Barrett. This is a huge passion thing for me. Nobody on this planet knows or has thought as much about ThunderCats as I have. They gave me the reins. I saw this as an opportunity to do a new type of fantasy sci-fi spectacle film that people have never seen before. It’s got a rich mythology; the characters are fantastic. The colors. I want to do a ThunderCats film that takes you back to that ‘80s aesthetic. I don’t want to reinvent the way they look; I want them to look like ThunderCats. I don’t want to do it live action, either. I don’t want it to look like Cats, I don’t want those kinds of issues — no disrespect to that director, whom I don’t mean to throw under the bus any more than everyone else has. I want to do a movie you’ve never seen before. A hybrid CGI film that has a hyper real look and somehow bridges the gap between cartoon and CGI. That’s the starting point, and Simon Barrett and I are getting into the script now.

• Shocked 1

35 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I want them to look like ThunderCats. I don’t want to do it live action, either. I don’t want it to look like Cats, I don’t want those kinds of issues

The thing is I think this is something that COULD work for this movie. The problem with cats is they were pretty much cats with human heads. Thundercats mostly look like humans with cat heads, if they get the look of the faces right all would be good.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The thing is I think this is something that COULD work for this movie. The problem with cats is they were pretty much cats with human heads. Thundercats mostly look like humans with cat heads, if they get the look of the faces right all would be good.

The problem with Cats is they went backwards. CG cats on practical sets makes zero sense when they could have just done practical cats on CG sets.

Full CG could be tricky, though. Sounds like he might be looking into going the Avatar route...maybe just a little less real? Avatar meets Speed Racer? I'd really love for this to actually work, but that sounds really hard to pull off.

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I’m in a place where Godzilla vs. Kong has gone well with Warner Bros. They love the movie, as we were wrapping it. I heard there was a ThunderCats script out there and it happened to be set up with some of my producers on Death Note. I asked them, I want to rewrite this script with my friend Simon Barrett. This is a huge passion thing for me. Nobody on this planet knows or has thought as much about ThunderCats as I have. They gave me the reins. I saw this as an opportunity to do a new type of fantasy sci-fi spectacle film that people have never seen before. It’s got a rich mythology; the characters are fantastic. The colors. I want to do a ThunderCats film that takes you back to that ‘80s aesthetic. I don’t want to reinvent the way they look; I want them to look like ThunderCats. I don’t want to do it live action, either. I don’t want it to look like Cats, I don’t want those kinds of issues — no disrespect to that director, whom I don’t mean to throw under the bus any more than everyone else has. I want to do a movie you’ve never seen before. A hybrid CGI film that has a hyper real look and somehow bridges the gap between cartoon and CGI. That’s the starting point, and Simon Barrett and I are getting into the script now.

I like how that sounds!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Thundercats is one of the shows I never went back to. I made the mistake of watching He-Man at some point and YIKES. Does Thundercats hold up at all?

I did the same with He-Man and good god did it age terribly. I absolutely loved it as a kid but Jesus is it unwatchable now.

I haven't seen Thundercats since my youth so I'm not sure how that holds up.

There was a Thundecats reboot series that came out a couple of years ago that was actually pretty good. Also, DC did a Thundercats vs Master of the Universe comic that came out not too long ago that was awesome too...

I mean, look at that. 10 year old me lost his mind when I saw that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There was a Thundecats reboot series that came out a couple of years ago that was actually pretty good. Also, DC did a Thundercats vs Master of the Universe comic that came out not too long ago that was awesome too...

I mean, look at that. 10 year old me lost his mind when I saw that.

Just hear me out ... what if that comic becomes a reality on film in a few years time?

7 hours ago, ort said:

Thundercats is of a higher quality than most 80s cartoons, but is still pretty rough compared to what we're used to these days. Children's programing has come a LOOOOOOOOONG way.

80's cartoons were basically long assed toy commercials.  It's what made them awesome and cheesy at the same time :p

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

Just hear me out ... what if that comic becomes a reality on film in a few years time?

:pray:

When COVID first hit, Hasbro's Youtube channel just threw up all of their G.I. Joe episodes on a constant 24/7 loop and I couldn't help but watch from time to time. It's crazy looking at the episodes now, seeing each season evolve, showcasing all the newly released toys for each of those years.