Rumor: Resident Evil Outrage aka Revelations 3 will be announced and released late 2021 or early 2022 on Switch

Brian

• Brian changed the title to Rumor: Resident Evil Outrage aka Revelations 3 will be announced and released late 2020 or early 2021 on Switch

Switch timed exclusive? Capcom really needs to stop with that shit. It just brings otherwise good games down a peg or two for no real reason. I know some people liked Revelations, but that shit played like ass to me. It was like a dollar store version of Resident Evil.

• Haha 1

Bring on more Revelations games, I say! Those games were more “Resident Evil” than the actual, numerical Resident Evil games that came out. The original Revelations stomped the snot out of 5 and 6 combined. Those games were garbage, bargain-bin versions of what a true Resident Evil game is. So this is great news for all fans of the franchise.

Weird that it’s a Switch exclusive (at least initially). But whatevs, I guess.

I have the original Revelations and have never fired it up, and I played maybe Episode One of Revelations 2; I kinda liked it, but I'm also not a huge fan of AI partners that are pretty much essential to the gameplay.

I really enjoyed RE2 Remake.  Need to go back and play Claire's scenario.

51 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Bring on more Revelations games, I say! Those games were more “Resident Evil” than the actual, numerical Resident Evil games that came out. The original Revelations stomped the snot out of 5 and 6 combined. Those games were garbage, bargain-bin versions of what a true Resident Evil game is. So this is great news for all fans of the franchise.

Weird that it’s a Switch exclusive (at least initially). But whatevs, I guess.

When the only point of comparison is RE5 and RE6, that's very telling. I dunno about 5, but the Revelations games were certainly better than the... whatever 6 was. Compared to 7? 2 remake? Even 3 remake? They don't even hold the tiniest candle.

However, given that they were able to turn the series around completely going from 6 to 7... if they can do the same for Revelations, count me in. I still worry about any sort of Switch exclusivity holding the game back, though. Revelations looked okay on a 3DS screen, it was significantly less impressive on anything else. And I've had a thousand lifetimes' worth of "it looks really good... for the Switch!" reviews by now.

• Brian changed the title to Rumor: Resident Evil Outrage aka Revelations 3 will be announced and released late 2021 or early 2022 on Switch
2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

People told me revelations was like a return to old school resident evil. 

People lied. 

I know it was a portable title or whatever but good god is Revelations 1 absolute shit. Nothing at all about that game was even vaguely fun to play.

Revelations 2 however I thought was actually a kinda cool B-tier Action game with some vague Resi flair. Still think it's sad though in some way that they let any RE game be that B-tier and cheap looking.

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

When the only point of comparison is RE5 and RE6, that's very telling. I dunno about 5, but the Revelations games were certainly better than the... whatever 6 was. Compared to 7? 2 remake? Even 3 remake? They don't even hold the tiniest candle.

However, given that they were able to turn the series around completely going from 6 to 7... if they can do the same for Revelations, count me in. I still worry about any sort of Switch exclusivity holding the game back, though. Revelations looked okay on a 3DS screen, it was significantly less impressive on anything else. And I've had a thousand lifetimes' worth of "it looks really good... for the Switch!" reviews by now.

Well, 5 and 6 were the only relevant games to compare it to at the time. It’s a good thing 7 and the recent remakes are as good or better than Revelations since they all came out YEARS afterwards.

30 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Well, 5 and 6 were the only relevant games to compare it to at the time. It’s a good thing 7 and the recent remakes are as good or better than Revelations since they all came out YEARS afterwards.

RE5 was a good game and generally pretty well received, unless I’m remembering things wrong?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

RE5 was a good game and generally pretty well received, unless I’m remembering things wrong?

The general consensus is RE5 and especially RE6 were not good RE games. I think RE5 was okay - but it was just constant action and the co-op really ruined any chance it had at creating scares. It was fun, as I remember it, just very short. I liked the African setting and the girl who joins you in that game. Game probably gets a worse rep than it deserves, but it's been a long time since I played it myself. It also had the unenviable task of following RE4 so that probably didn't help it at the time. RE6 was the Avengers of the RE games but it just couldn't get any story momentum going since it kept jumping from character to character and again, just way too much action and if you weren't deep into RE lore the game barely made sense. It barely made sense even if you did keep up with RE lore, which is why RE7 was kind of a reboot in that it barely tied into the lore. 

I don’t think RE5 was that short. I’d have to check my a steam log, but seems like the husband and I spent 15-20 hours in it. It took me about 12 or so hours to beat RE7 if I recall. 

I liked RE5, but the AI could be dumb and it was more action oriented than prior RE games, so it gets flack from fans. But it was well reviewed at the time and it’s a solid action game. I played it solo on PS3 when it was new and co-op’d it a year or two ago with the spouse. 

RE6 was pretty bad, though. It’s playable but it’s looked particularly poor compared to other games at the time and it was just very forgettable. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Okay then, compare it to 4, which came out like a decade before and was leagues better!

Resident Evil 4 was an instant classic and pretty much no other game in the series has topped it. So that’s fair. Revelations got close though, IMO. 

But whatever. To each their own. I’m looking forward to this next entry in the series, and hoping Capcom does justice to it. 

I didn't give it much of a chance because of the AI co-op crap but RE5 definitely was very well received at the time.

I only played the RE6 demo and it seemed like a fun Action game actually. I'll pick it up on a deep sale one of these day. It was clearly the breaking point for Action RE and I get it but going full Hide & Seek YouTube Horror with RE7 wasn't terribly exciting to me either.

REmake2 is my favorite style for a modern RE game. I really wish they could've fully fleshed that formula out with REmake3.

Edit: More on topic, I'm actually quite looking forward to Revelations 3. Curious to see what they do with it and I'd be into it if, now that they have their 'full Horror mainline' back on track, they'd make a great Action RE with Rev 3. 

Eh I think RE 5 was generally received positively. People were just surprised it was an action coop game. 

I think it was average and completely forgettable, other than I remember fighting in a fucking volcano or some shit in the end lol.

6 is the only one universally hated I think. 

23 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

In what way? I feel like most people who played it in the moment felt like it was the RE3 we deserved...

My biggest gripe is actually that I really dislike the locations and backgrounds. It plays okay but it overall just feels like a weird RE knock-off rather than a proper RE title to me. I know a lot of people dig it and I'm sure it's not that bad objectively, but I just think of it as a no-go RE title like Revelations 1. I dropped it after about an hour and a half last time I tried to replay it.