Yemen Update: warring parties fail to extend UN-backed truce for a third time, "heavy clashes" reported

On 9/16/2019 at 8:14 PM, MarSolo said:

After that report of him spending all morning in his pajamas watching television leaked, I'm convinced he does now too.

Oh, come on. I can't stand the guy, but if I was President, I'd spend half the day in pajamas, too, knowing that NO ONE could tell me I couldn't, except perhaps my wife, Shania Twain.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, brucoe said:

Oh, come on. I can't stand the guy, but if I was President, I'd spend half the day in pajamas, too, knowing that NO ONE could tell me I couldn't, except perhaps my wife, Shania Twain.

I'd go to meeting in fleech pants and a t shirt. Preferably a nerdy one or a soccer jersey.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to US to end support for Saudi coalition war crimes in Yemen
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Naturally. Hale and similar present a threat to the system. The people running the program are the system.

5 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Naturally. Hale and similar present a threat to the system. The people running the program are the system.

In the spirit of the notion that history doesn't necessarily "repeat" but rather "rhymes", Daniel Hale claims that he's a descendant of Nathan Hale.

• 8 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Yemen Update: Gulf Arab war crimes coalition and Houthis announce overlapping ceasefires for Ramadan
2010-06-15T000000Z_426392934_GM1E66G03MZ
WWW.ALJAZEERA.COM

UN was seeking $4.3bn but it could raise only $1.3bn, with some major donors missing, including the UAE, Saudi Arabia.

The United Nations and aid groups have warned of grave consequences for Yemen after an international pledging conference failed to raise enough money to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe in the war-torn country.

Overshadowed by the conflict in Ukraine, aid-starved Yemen – already suffering the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, according to the United Nations – is on the verge of total collapse.

“A shortfall in funding means the needs of people will not be met,” said Auke Lootsma, the UN Development Programme’s resident representative to Yemen.

“The outlook for next year looks very bleak for Yemen. This is the bleakest situation we’ve had so far in the country.”

The UN had sought $4.3bn to address Yemen’s food shortages this year and prevent 19 million people from going hungry.

But only $1.3bn could be raised at the conference on Wednesday in the Swiss city of Geneva.

• Sad 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Yemen Update: Gulf Arab war crimes coalition and Houthis announce overlapping ceasefires for Ramadan as UN donor conference fails to reach $4.3 billion goal
LADDXYQFHZNKNLGC3HOH474SBI.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

The warring sides in Yemen's seven-year conflict have for the first time in years agreed a nationwide truce, which would also allow fuel imports into Houthi-held areas and some flights operating from Sanaa airport, the U.N. envoy said on Friday.

The warring sides in Yemen's seven-year conflict have for the first time in years agreed a nationwide truce, which would also allow fuel imports into Houthi-held areas and some flights operating from Sanaa airport, the U.N. envoy said on Friday.

The U.N.-brokered deal between a Saudi-led coalition and the Houthi group aligned with Iran is the most significant step yet towards ending a conflict that has killed tens of thousands and pushed millions into hunger. The last coordinated cessation of hostilities nationwide was during peace talks in 2016. read more

U.N. special envoy Hans Grundberg said the two-month truce would come into effect on Saturday at 7 p.m. local time (1600 GMT) and could be renewed with consent of the parties. Saturday marks the start of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

To hell with the British government if they go ahead with this.

One of the good things that Biden did upon coming in to office was to remove the terrorist designation from the Houthi movement.  However, the Gulf Arab War Crimes Coalition has been increasing pressure on the administration to re-designate the Houthis as terrorists after the recent (totally justifiable) missile attacks in the UAE and Saudi Arabia.  I could easily see both the Saudis and Emiratis essentially offering a quid pro quo with the Biden administration of increasing OPEC oil production in exchange for putting the Houthi movement back on the terrorist list, and quite frankly, I don't think Biden will be willing to risk the political consequences of telling the Saudis/Emiratis to go fuck themselves.

5337.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Exclusive: agencies write letter to government after learning home secretary is pushing for designation

Yemen could be afflicted by an even worse humanitarian catastrophe if the UK government goes ahead with a plan to designate the Houthi rebels as a terrorist group, leading aid agencies have warned cabinet ministers in a letter.

The 11 UK agencies are some of those most active in Yemen, and include Save the Children, Care, the International Rescue Committee and Islamic Relief.

In the letter seen by the Guardian, the agencies said: “The likely ‘chilling effect’ on banks and other commercial actors could prove catastrophic for the millions of Yemenis already at risk from hunger, conflict and disease.”

The move could result in international banks and companies that import food, medicines and fuel into the country halting some activities out of concern they would unintentionally fall foul of UK terrorism laws.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Yemen Update: Gulf Arab War Crimes Coalition and heroic Houthi Movement announce two-month truce
Yemen%20newborn.jpg?quality=75&width=120
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

The spiralling food and fuel costs due to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine are causing economic distress for many desperate Yemenis, reports Charlene Rodrigues

Yemen_35657.jpg?quality=75&width=1200&au
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

The U.N. envoy for Yemen has expressed concerns about violations of a cease-fire in the war-wrecked country and is urging the warring sides to uphold the first nationwide truce in six years

The U.N. envoy for Yemen expressed concerns on Wednesday about violations of a cease-fire in the war-wrecked country, urging the warring sides to uphold the first nationwide truce in six years.

Hans Grundberg said that while the truce has led to “significant reduction of violence” in Yemen, there were reports of “some hostile military activities,” particularly around the central city of Marib.

He did not say which side was to blame for the violations but Yemen’s internationally recognized government has accused the Iran-backed rebel Houthis of attacking their positions in southern and western Marib. A Houthi spokesman was not immediately available for comment.

“This truce is a step, an important one, but a fragile step, nonetheless," he said. “We need to make the best possible use of the window this truce gives us to work towards ending the conflict.”

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Yemen Update: hunger crisis deepens as war rages in Ukraine, UN envoy expresses concerns about truce violations
  • 3 months later...
2022-04-22T102820Z_1525578829_RC2PPT9VPE
WWW.ALJAZEERA.COM

The conflict-ravaged country awaits two scenarios: a new cycle of war or an extended cessation of hostilities.

Fear, anxiety, confusion – these are the most common sentiments expressed by civilians in war-ravaged Yemen as a four-month truce is slated to expire on Tuesday.

“The ceasefire expiry is a rebirth of multiple ordeals,” said Saleh Ahmed, a 50-year-old resident in the capital, Sanaa, who, like others, fears a descent into a new cycle of war.

“Fighting will erupt, roads will be blocked, fuel will be expensive, the price of basic goods will jump, and civilian deaths will mount,” he said. “These troubles make life bitter and unbearable.”

The United Nations-sponsored truce has been the longest respite Yemen has seen in seven years of war, which have pitted the internationally recognised government, backed by a Saudi-led military coalition, against the Iran-aligned Houthi rebels, who control most of Yemen’s north.

The truce has held, despite reported violations from both sides.

As the expiration date approached, the UN’s envoy for Yemen, Hans Grundberg, as well as the United States envoy, Tim Lenderking, intensified diplomatic efforts to extend it.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Yemen Update: "fear" and "anxiety" for civilians as UN-sponsored truce is set to expire on Tuesday
  • 2 months later...
3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

SANAA, Yemen (AP) — Yemen's warring sides have failed to reach an agreement to extend a nationwide cease-fire, the U.N. said Sunday, endangering the longest lull in fighting since the country's bloody civil war began.

Yemen’s warring sides have failed to reach an agreement to extend a nationwide cease-fire, the U.N. said Sunday, endangering the longest lull in fighting since the country’s bloody civil war began.

In a statement, the U.N.’s envoy to Yemen called on all sides to refrain from acts of provocation as the talks continue, after the deadline of Oct. 2 for extending the agreement was missed.

The U.N.-backed truce initially took effect in April, and raised hopes for a longer pause in fighting as Yemen’s civil war entered in its eighth year. The devastating conflict began in 2014, when the Iranian-backed Houthis seized the capital of Sanaa and much of northern Yemen and forced the government into exile. A Saudi-led coalition including the United Arab

Emirates intervened in 2015 to try to restore the internationally recognized government to power.

In a statement, U.N. envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg said he “regrets that an agreement has not been reached today.” He did not call out the Houthis by name for failing to agree to his proposal but thanked the internationally recognized government for “engaging positively” in talks to extend the cease-fire. He called on leaders to continue to endeavor to reach an agreement.

000_32JT39H.jpg?resize=1920%2C1440
WWW.ALJAZEERA.COM

Yemeni government and Houthis failed to extend a six-month truce that saw a lull in fighting in the eight-year conflict.

Why has the truce not been extended?

• Both sides blame each other for allowing the deal to expire.
  • April’s truce had originally established a partial opening of the Houthi-controlled Sanaa airport and the key Red Sea port of Houthi-held Hodeidah, with the ensuing months seeing flights resume at the airport for the first time since 2016,
  • The truce also called for the lifting of a Houthi blockade on Taiz, the country’s third largest city. But little progress has been made there, after talks aimed at reopening local roads stalled.
  • Another sticking point has been the funding of the salaries of public employees. Many of them have not received salaries for years.
  • Ahmed Awad bin Mubarak, the Yemeni government’s foreign minister, blamed the Houthis for the end of the truce. “The government made many concessions to extend the truce,” he told the pan-Arab satellite channel Al-Hadath.
  • For their part, the Houthis said discussions around the truce had reached a “dead end”. They want to see the full and unrestricted opening of the Sanaa airport, and the lifting of the entire blockade on Hodeidah.

2022-06-23T114228Z_1645730208_RC2ESU9YO4
    WWW.ALJAZEERA.COM

The truce lasted for six months and expired on October 2, with efforts to renew it unsuccessful so far.

Yemenis have had years to get used to the political and economic crises that have rocked their lives, even before the outbreak of the war in the country in 2014.

So, when it became apparent earlier this week that the United Nations-brokered six-month truce that had significantly reduced hostilities on the country’s front lines would not immediately be renewed, residents of Sanaa, the country’s rebel-held capital, immediately resorted to tried and trusted coping mechanisms.

Petrol stations were full; fuel supplies may be stable, but Yemenis have learned the hard way that they have to be prepared.

“I wasn’t worried about petrol throughout the ceasefire as it was available in all petrol stations,” Mokhtar Saleh, a 25-year-old minibus driver in Sanaa, told Al Jazeera. “But when I heard about the failure of the truce renewal, I darted to the station to fill up my bus.”

Saleh was worried. No fuel means no work. And in a country like Yemen, already impoverished before the conflict started, there are few safety nets.

“If the petrol tank of my vehicle is empty, my four children and I will go to bed with empty stomachs,” he said. “This is my sole source of income, and the resumption of the war will bring us hunger.

“The continued failure of the attempts to extend the truce is horrible, and is a bad sign for us.”

3482371-986550171.jpeg?itok=ayQlD_Cq
      WWW.ARABNEWS.COM

AL-MUKALLA: At least six Yemeni government troops and an unknown number of Houthis were killed in heavy clashes and exchanges of fire across the country over the past 24 hours, local military and

At least six Yemeni government troops and an unknown number of Houthis were killed in heavy clashes and exchanges of fire across the country over the past 24 hours, local military and government officials said on Saturday.

Fighting in the country has intensified as the international community tries to persuade the Iran-backed Houthis to renew the UN-brokered truce that expired last week.

Local military officials told Arab News that the Houthis launched coordination heavy shelling and troop attacks on government forces in the southern province of Lahj, outside the city of Taiz, and in areas south of the central city of Marib.

In Lahj, Mohammed Al-Naqeeb, a spokesman for the pro-independence Southern Transitional Council, which controls the province, said the Houthis launched a ground attack on Friday after shelling their forces in Yafa’s Had, killing four soldiers and injuring at least seven in an apparent attempt to advance into the mountainous district.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Yemen Update: warring parties fail to extend UN-backed truce for a third time, "heavy clashes" reported