Joe's "Favorite Hot Sauce" Thread

Fizzzzle

For every day table/cooking sauce, I usually keep a liter bottle of Valentina on deck. 1 liter is like $8, and it has a bit of tartness that I like. I'm not into super vinegar-y hot sauces unless it's going on eggs or in a bloody mary. Basically, Tabasco is a breakfast sauce to me.

But if we're getting into bougie sauces (and I love getting into bougie sauces), the Hot Ones brand hot sauces are all actually really good. I have a bottle of The Classic on my desk right now for snacking purposes, Los Calientes is really good if you want something a little sweeter, and The Last Dab will wreck you but actually does taste really good. It's like a mustard pepper mash.

My favorite hot sauce makers are probably Adobo Loco, Karma, and Bravado. Plus, I'm from Oregon so I'm contractually obligated to like Secret Aardvark habanero sauce. Though we keep it at work so I end up eating it all the time and eventually getting tired of it for a while.

@Joe

I subscribed to hot sauce boxes for a while, then eventually it hit a point where I had like 40 hot sauces and I decided to stop. One man cannot go through 3 bottles of hot sauce in a month when I only eat one meal at home a day. Especially given my Valentina bottle and the fact that at least one of the 3 hot sauces in the box are usually super-hots like reaper or scorpion sauces. A little dab will do ya.

However, THIS FUCKING SAUCE

FIYAFIYA_ea4072e4-1c2d-4ef6-b451-3a320e6
HEATONIST.COM

This newest sauce from Adoboloco stays true to the maker’s Hawaiian roots with a ton of tangy apple cider vinegar but kicks it up a notch with a blend of four hot peppers including ghost, Trinidad sco

It's hotter than Satan's buttcrack but I still pretty much drank it. It is delicious.

I enjoy the Hot Ones Classic and Los Calientes...I really like how versatile the Classic is,  as I've found it to be really good on burritos, BBQ, sausage and peppers/onions, and eggs, and it's hard to find a sauce that has that kind of range (though I wish it was a touch hotter). I also really like Tiger Sauce (with seafood especially).

35 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I am currently using Crystal Hot Sauce

30 minutes ago, best3444 said:

If I ever use hot sauce it's Frank's Red Hot original. I got turned on to sriracha sauce when I use to eat vietnamese food.

Ain't nothing wrong with a little Crystal.

If I had to rank the "classic table sauces"

1. Valentina

2. Crystal

3. Tapatio

4. Texas Pete

5. Cholula

6. Frank's Red Hot

Sriracha and Tabasco I can't really rank because they're just for different things. Sriracha is really good in, like, fried rice, but I it's super garlic-y and weird on a bunch of other stuff. Tabasco is for omelettes and bloody mary's, I think it's kind of gross on pretty much everthing else.

Frank's... I kind of just don't like it. Something about the flavor reminds me of aspartame, for some reason, and the flavor just kind of overwhelms whatever it touches.

I DO like Frank's Hot Buffalo sauce, specifically for chicken wings/fried cauliflower. It's a classic wing sauce if you don't want to make your own (wing sauce is really just hot sauce and butter, so you can if you want, but I'm not about to use a $14 bottle of bougie hot sauce to make sauce for one meal of wings)

3 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

1. Valentina

2. Crystal

3. Tapatio

4. Texas Pete

5. Cholula

6. Frank's Red Hot

Frank's... I kind of just don't like it. Something about the flavor reminds me of aspartame, for some reason, and the flavor just kind of overwhelms whatever it touches.

I'll have to try out the ones you listed above. Yea, I understand what you are saying about Frank's but I still like it.

4 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

1. Valentina

2. Crystal

3. Tapatio

4. Texas Pete

5. Cholula

6. Frank's Red Hot

Sriracha and Tabasco I can't really rank because they're just for different things. Sriracha is really good in, like, fried rice, but I it's super garlic-y and weird on a bunch of other stuff. Tabasco is for omelettes and bloody mary's, I think it's kind of gross on pretty much everthing else.

I DO like Frank's Hot Buffalo sauce, specifically for chicken wings/fried cauliflower. It's a classic wing sauce if you don't want to make your own (wing sauce is really just hot sauce and butter, so you can if you want, but I'm not about to use a $14 bottle of bougie hot sauce to make sauce for one meal of wings)

Whats so good about Crystal? I ask because KLA seems to prefer it over Frank’s, but Frank’s at least has garlic in it whereas Crystal doesn’t. I need to find some and compare.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

Whats so good about Crystal? I ask because KLA seems to prefer it over Frank’s, but Frank’s at least has garlic in it whereas Crystal doesn’t. I need to find some and compare.

I'm not a fan of garlic in my sauces in most situations. I like my sauces either tart or sweet, or both.

On 1/30/2021 at 10:34 AM, Fizzzzle said:

I subscribed to hot sauce boxes for a while, then eventually it hit a point where I had like 40 hot sauces and I decided to stop. One man cannot go through 3 bottles of hot sauce in a month when I only eat one meal at home a day. Especially given my Valentina bottle and the fact that at least one of the 3 hot sauces in the box are usually super-hots like reaper or scorpion sauces. A little dab will do ya.

However, THIS FUCKING SAUCE

FIYAFIYA_ea4072e4-1c2d-4ef6-b451-3a320e6
HEATONIST.COM

This newest sauce from Adoboloco stays true to the maker’s Hawaiian roots with a ton of tangy apple cider vinegar but kicks it up a notch with a blend of four hot peppers including ghost, Trinidad sco

It's hotter than Satan's buttcrack but I still pretty much drank it. It is delicious.

That does sound delicious I will have to pick some up! I haven't tried many sauces just usually cook with fermented Habenaro and Reaper juice. However I do really like Melinda's Ghost Pepper Wing Sauce and basically any Mango Habanero.

17 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

These are my favorite sauces, they're all really good.

heat_ingredients_beach_5a02f8cb-b16a-4e9
WWW.HANKSAUCE.COM

Hank Sauce is an alternative to boring pepper sauce. It may not burn a hole in your tongue, but don't be surprised when you burn through the bottle!

I used to buy these as gifts from farmer markets down in South Jersey. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 5:26 AM, Fizzzzle said:

For every day table/cooking sauce, I usually keep a liter bottle of Valentina on deck. 1 liter is like $8, and it has a bit of tartness that I like. I'm not into super vinegar-y hot sauces unless it's going on eggs or in a bloody mary. Basically, Tabasco is a breakfast sauce to me.

But if we're getting into bougie sauces (and I love getting into bougie sauces), the Hot Ones brand hot sauces are all actually really good. I have a bottle of The Classic on my desk right now for snacking purposes, Los Calientes is really good if you want something a little sweeter, and The Last Dab will wreck you but actually does taste really good. It's like a mustard pepper mash.

My favorite hot sauce makers are probably Adobo Loco, Karma, and Bravado. Plus, I'm from Oregon so I'm contractually obligated to like Secret Aardvark habanero sauce. Though we keep it at work so I end up eating it all the time and eventually getting tired of it for a while.

@Joe

Do you get the regular Valentina or the black label?

I mentioned above that I keep a bottle of Hot Ones "The Classic" on my desk for snacking purposes.

I forgot that I actually ran out of that the other day, I accidentally grabbed a bottle of "The Classic: Pepper X edition" and doused a french fry in it.

Ow.

edit: (I secretly really liked it and now I'm doing it on purpose, I can't really feel my tongue anymore)

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Flavor profile? What's it go well with?

I'd say it's similar to Cholula, but thicker, tangier, and spicier. It's pretty flexible, but the flavor is a little strong so be prepared for that. Don't put it in something where you won't want to overwhelm the dish.