Joe's "Favorite Hot Sauce" Thread

Fizzzzle

On 1/31/2021 at 2:49 PM, Jason said:

I miss the 365 label Habanera and Jalapeno that Whole Foods used to have. :( Both just randomly stopped appearing on the shelves one day.

The jalepeno one randomly showed up back on the shelves a few weeks ago. :sun:

Ok, I had it on a chicken burger tonight and it fucking slaps. Great consistency (hate when sauces aren’t viscous enough), right amount of heat for a table hot sauce, good flavor. Just a delightful sauce. Can’t wait to try it on some actual Mexican food. 

22 hours ago, Chris- said:

Ok, I had it on a chicken burger tonight and it fucking slaps. Great consistency (hate when sauces aren’t viscous enough), right amount of heat for a table hot sauce, good flavor. Just a delightful sauce. Can’t wait to try it on some actual Mexican food. 

Agreed. Now we need @Fizzzzleto try.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Only asking because it seems like other than Southern California the idea of a California Burrito is often laughed at.

I think it is pretty well accepted any place that has a decent sized food scene...There are multiple places in Pittsburgh that make them, and they are decently popular. 

41 minutes ago, Joe said:

How does it differ from like a Chipotle burrito? The fries?

You mean like a burrito from the Chipotle restaurant?

It's carne asada, cheese, french fries and sour cream (or/and guacamole) including salsa fresca depending on where you go.

36 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You mean like a burrito from the Chipotle restaurant?

It's carne asada, cheese, french fries and sour cream (or/and guacamole) including salsa fresca depending on where you go.

I may have had one of these in San Francisco, but I hated it lol. I imagine it's better in SoCal.

14 minutes ago, Joe said:

I may have had one of these in San Francisco, but I hated it lol. I imagine it's better in SoCal.

Yeah, unfortunately the Bay Area is not known for good Mexican food. I mean there are some decent looking places (like those places on Man vs Food in the Mission District or San Jose) but I haven't been to those places.

I can't remember if I had some burritos when I was in Berkeley. It's been a minute and if I can't remember it probably was not memorable. :p

• 2 months later...
On 1/30/2021 at 9:26 AM, TheLeon said:

I'll be watching this thread, and the next time I make it to Jungle Jim's (a local massive international grocery store) I'll see how many of these named sauces I can find. They claim to carry over 1,500 varieties. 

I finally made this trip (it’s only a 25 minute drive, but I’m lazy). I grabbed a variety, including Hot Ones Los Calientes (they were sold out of the Classic) Adoboloco (Koholekid, not the extra hot one) Crystal and Gringo Bandito. Just sampling them on some tortilla chips, the Adoboloco is easily my favorite. I’m a hot sauce noob, and I’m never really looking for a “challenge” when it comes to food, so I’ll probably avoid the higher end of the Scoville scale, but I look forward to exploring the space more in the future. 

• 1 month later...

Keith_staco_1024x1024.jpg?v=1620164161

Got Keith's (of Try Guys fame) new taco sauce, and it is actually extremely fucking good. I don't like his chicken sauce (trying to do too much), and his burger sauce is OK, but this one hits the mark. Great flavor and enough spice to be satisfying, but not so hot that it starts to overwhelm any one flavor (which is pretty easy for a sauce to do, even for the really good ones). Bueno!