GM announces plan to sell only electric vehicles by 2035

This is a mistake. High mileage hybrids-systems (50-100+mpg) are the future until electric cars can charge fully in 5-10 minutes; not everyone has a garage.

Who knows? Maybe they’re predicting that type of charging speed by then...? I need to check some car forums to see the corvette owners crying :daydream:

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

This is a mistake. High mileage hybrids-systems (50-100+mpg) are the future until electric cars can charge fully in 5-10 minutes; not everyone has a garage.

Who knows? Maybe they’re predicting that type of charging speed by then...? I need to check some car forums to see the corvette owners crying :daydream:

DC chargers can get you to like 80% in like half an hour already, slows down after that, but the problem with charging is people using AC systems instead of DC, its just easier since our homes are already set up that way, though in the future DC power over long distances might be a thing, as you actually lose less it just wasn't done in the past cause they couldn't get the voltage up high enough to where it was possible in the past.

4 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

DC chargers can get you to like 80% in like half an hour already, slows down after that, but the problem with charging is people using AC systems instead of DC, its just easier since our homes are already set up that way, though in the future DC power over long distances might be a thing.

30 minutes is too slow. Imagine going to fill your gasoline car up and it taking 30 minutes. It needs to come down to 15 minutes, max, for “electric-only” to be a viable strategy for a major car manufacturer, IMO, and I’m not referencing this from range anxiety, but the amount of people who park their cars on the street or a non-garaged driveway.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

30 minutes is too slow. Imagine going to fill your gasoline car up and it taking 30 minutes. It needs to come down to 15 minutes, max, for “electric-only” to be a viable strategy for a major car manufacturer, IMO, and I’m not referencing this from range anxiety, but the amount of people who park their cars on the street.

ok, lol.  Charging stations are going to be very plentiful, already in some parking lots and even rest areas.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You think a 30-minute time frame for a charge for someone who is unable to charge at their home is a good sell? That is not an insignificant amount of time.

Im saying you'll have way more places you could recharge than just some station, lol.  Work, stores, restaurants, ect...

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If you have to park on the street, either your employer will have charging

:lol: 

Yea, like, maybe Google and big companies will. You expect the local Acme or mom & pop pharmacy to offer this? :p 

I’m 100% for all electric vehicles, but I’m against putting people at a disadvantage to do so. Like I said, maybe by 2035 the charge time will be down.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

:lol: 

Yea, like, maybe Google and big companies will. You expect the local Acme or mom & pop pharmacy to offer this? :p 

I’m 100% for all electric vehicles, but I’m against putting people at a disadvantage to do so. Like I said, maybe by 2035 the charge time will be down.

If they have a parking lot there's a chance that GM or the government or whomever would work with them to get the installed

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If they have a parking lot there's a chance that GM or the government or whomever would work with them to get the installed

“Chance”. :p 
And I don’t expect for corporations to suddenly take care of their employees electric car needs. GM putting up more stations is a given, but I worry it’s going to require some type of subscription to use them, like what Ford is doing. As long as it equals out to (at max) average monthly gas costs, though, it’s fine. 

16 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

30 minutes is too slow. Imagine going to fill your gasoline car up and it taking 30 minutes. It needs to come down to 15 minutes, max, for “electric-only” to be a viable strategy for a major car manufacturer, IMO, and I’m not referencing this from range anxiety, but the amount of people who park their cars on the street or a non-garaged driveway.

screen-shot-2020-08-21-at-1-34-02-pm-159
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Here in the U.S., electric-vehicle makers are rightly focusing on making charging stations work faster, but this is a glimpse at something that could be coming here someday.

Swappable batteries also offer up traveling options. It takes an average of three to five minutes for the change to take place in one of Nio's Power Swap stations. That's on par with getting gas. Plus, it opens up the potential for changing out to different battery-pack sizes, so that a person could upgrade or downgrade their subscription as needs change. Currently, a 70.0-kWh pack with six swaps per month is priced at about $142. For those who don't want to swap batteries but still need the pack, the cost is about $12 a month.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

“Chance”. :p 
And I don’t expect for corporations to suddenly take care of their employees electric car needs. GM putting up more stations is a given, but I worry it’s going to require some type of subscription to use them, like what Ford is doing. As long as it equals out to (at max) average monthly gas costs, though, it’s fine. 

Big federal tax credits and a lack of charging capacity due to a massive increase in electric supply will change minds, even if concern for employee charging isn't a concern.

BTW, I debated on going electric but the idea of running an extension cord out to my car immediately made me think of some kid walking by on his way to school, unplugging it because “fuck you haha”, and now my car has low/zero charge when I get in to head to work or somewhere.

Again, if I can stop off to charge, planning 10-15 minutes isn’t a big deal as it takes that long to fill up my current car. I’m waiting for it to get to this point, until then, my next car is likely a hybrid-electric Mustang Ford promised with a minimum of 50mpg, even though I’d rather have the Mach-E GT. :p 

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Big federal tax credits and a lack of charging capacity due to a massive increase in electric supply will change minds, even if concern for employee charging isn't a concern.

I don’t disagree, but until it happens, I don’t think having concerns is invalid. It’s all a strong “maybe” atm.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

BTW, I debated on going electric but the idea of running an extension cord out to my car immediately made me think of some kid walking by on his way to school, unplugging it because “fuck you haha”, and now my car has low/zero charge when I get in to head to work or somewhere.

Again, if I can stop off to charge, planning 10-15 minutes isn’t a big deal as it takes that long to fill up my current car. I’m waiting for it to get to this point, until then, my next car is likely a hybrid-electric Mustang Ford promised with a minimum of 50mpg. 

I don’t disagree, but until it happens, I don’t think having concerns is invalid. It’s all a strong “maybe” atm.

I mean it's 15 years from now and the build up will be gradually increasing. There's gonna be pressure building

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I mean it's 15 years from now and the build up will be gradually increasing. There's gonna be pressure building

Of course, and, also, as I said in almost all of my replies itt: 

35 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Maybe they’re predicting that type of charging speed by then...?

It’s a bit odd that I’m getting push back on feeling that 10-15-minute charging (at “super stations”) is optimal for those who don’t have the ability to charge at their own homes. :p 

17 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

The Tesla Model S is in the top 3 fastest accelerating road legal cars in production. Car “enthusiasts” are some of the biggest fucking babies. When battery technology improves, no one will miss gasoline engines.

Especially because the American car companies will put huge subwoofers under the cars that make brrrrm brrrrm noises.

2 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

The Tesla Model S is in the top 3 fastest accelerating road legal cars in production. Car “enthusiasts” are some of the biggest fucking babies. When battery technology improves, no one will miss gasoline engines.

This is one of my most liked posts on Mustang6g Forums when Ford showed off a 1500hp all-electric halo Cobra Jet Mustang early last year:

25-EDD532-7-B5-F-4-F24-921-D-2-D5795412-

I enjoy getting to argue why electric cars and hybrid-electric cars a good thing multiple times a week with those hillbilly-yahoos :p 

The issue with Teslas are the driving experience outside of the acceleration; and I’m fully aware that at least 90% of people don’t care about that. However, it’s “numb” and disconnected from the road. Driving my friends P100D Model S was neat, but odd... however, that’s Tesla. The Porsche Taycan I drove? OMFG holy shitballs, that thing feels like a car: I knew what the tires were doing, felt “connected” to the road, and having 100% torque at all time was :daydream:. I haven’t driven one yet, but, I’ve heard the Mach-E feels like a sports car/Mustang with no “numbness”, and it’s why most reviewers are putting it over the Model 3.
In summary, I really wish I had a garage. :sadsun: 

Even if GM does meet this goal and does only sell electric vehicles by 2035/2040, they're not the sole provider and cars are a rather durable good, so I'm not worried about people that absolutely need a gas vehicle. The question for GM isn't if they can meet the needs of every possible driver, the question is if they can build vehicles for the majority of new car buyers. Those are very different markets at any given moment in time.

I expect charging infrastructure to improve by leaps and bounds over the next decade or so as every major manufacturer gets heavily into electrics, and I think that will change customer behavior. Yeah, right now we expect to make a dedicated stop to fill up our car every once in a while, but I suspect it'll be more common to simply tie car charging into typical activities (shopping, eating out, maybe even work). I have a friend who owns a Model 3 and couldn't have a home charger for almost a year, and that's what he did. It wasn't ideal, but it was livable, even with the very small number of superchargers around. Nearly every major and many smaller shopping centers around us have chargers already. For now it's only a couple, but as demand increases I think it'll be much more common.

Then of course you have people who can charge at home, and who will almost never need to charge elsewhere. That's been the case for our electric car.

I really hope that GM hits this goal largely because if they do it should mean that charging is in a much better place.

• 2 weeks later...
Hybrid_Battery.jpg
WWW.BUSINESSWIRE.COM

Hyliion introduces next generation battery module to improve performance and efficiency.

I was getting shit for wanting ~10 minute charges for the average middle-class person without a garage to charge in... Meanwhile, Hyliion just developed a battery that can charge in 8-minutes. Silly me for thinking this would be a big deal and pave the way for a full EV future over "jUsT pLaN yOuR sChEdUlE aRoUnD 30+ mInUtE cHaRgEs wHeN yOu WoRk AnD hAvE kIdS". Oh, and Hyliion's stock just shot from $15 with no volume to insane volume and about to break $19 and rip into the $20s.