Apple wants you to pay $550 for "AirPods Max"

TwinIon

npatel_201209_4332_0019sq.0.0.jpg

Apple's new AirPods Max are premium, over the ear, noise cancelling headphones that seem perfectly nice, but for some reason Apple is asking for a ridiculous $550 in a market where the top alternatives are closer to $300.

They've only just been announced so full reviews aren't in yet, but the impressions I've read indicate that they're good headphones. They're made of metal, have good sound, and of course have all the nice connection features you get with current AirPods. 

Of course, they also have the typical Apple exclusions. There's no headphone jack, only a lightning port. You can buy a lightning to 3.5mm cable for $35. There are no touch controls and there aren't many buttons, just a digital crown for volume and a single action button to control things. There isn't even a power button, they go to sleep when not in use for a while, or when put into their case. And what a case it is:

npatel_201209_4332_0016.0.jpg

It's both a braw and a purse, but it's not particularly good at being a case. The headphones don't fold up, and the case doesn't protect the headband or completely cover the bottom of the headphones. There seems to be a pretty universal dislike for this thing, with the Verge calling it one of the cheapest things Apple's ever made.

I really like my Bose QC 35s, and I also really like the new Sonys, and there's nothing here that indicates to me that these would be worth $200+ more than either. If these things folded up into a normal case and cost the same as other high end headphones, I think they'd be a great choice for a lot of people. I'm personally puzzled as to why they priced them so high. The AirPods are pretty competitive in their segment, and this is a pretty competitive market. Still, I'm sure they'll sell plenty of them, just not to me.

Not that I'd buy an Apple product anyhow, but I have the Sony XM4s and they're just lovely. They look nicer than this, fold up neatly, about half the price. The case bra is not just ugly when compared to other Apple products, its completely ugly compared to just about any other consumer electronic device. The crown seems like a silly non-Apple solution as well. Seems like its there more for branding purposes ala the Apple Watch and not because its the best design for the function.

airpods i get why people would buy. i own airpods and like them. But why buy over ear headphones that are less convenient than the airpods. people dont buy airpods for the sound quality so i dont really see why better quality would be a selling point for these. apple fanboys will obviously buy this but this isnt breaking into a new market where i rarely saw people wearing wireless earbuds before the airpods. I used to have wireless over ear beats (which came with a much better case). idk bout this one man. i know people are mindless consumers and I will probably be wrong but i dont think this one is it, chief. 

40 minutes ago, johnny said:

airpods i get why people would buy. i own airpods and like them. But why buy over ear headphones that are less convenient than the airpods. people dont buy airpods for the sound quality so i dont really see why better quality would be a selling point for these. apple fanboys will obviously buy this but this isnt breaking into a new market where i rarely saw people wearing wireless earbuds before the airpods. I used to have wireless over ear beats (which came with a much better case). idk bout this one man. i know people are mindless consumers and I will probably be wrong but i dont think this one is it, chief. 

Some people just really don't like things in their ears. My wife has AirPods (the OG ones) and they hurt her ears like crazy after a few hours.

I would love a big set of Apple cans with the convenience of the H1 Chip, but yeah, I would maybe $200 love them... I definitely wouldn't $550 love them.

I paid the $250 for AirPod Pros, and while that was probably too much, I’m happy with them because they fit my needs perfectly. I’ve been unhappy with any every cheaper wireless earbud I’ve tried. For over the ear headphones like this, I’m a lot less picky, so I can’t imagine spending anywhere near this much. 

The AirPods Pro are significantly better than AirPods. That being said, I do hate in-ear buds that create a seal. If you’re not blasting music, you hear your own breathing, you hear your heartbeat, and it’s just a genuinely uncomfortable feeling. If the Pros didn’t have Transparency mode, I wouldn’t have bought them. 

Over-ear headphones are inarguably the best way to listen to audio from a small form factor (something that goes on your head). 

Apparently, the transparency mode with the Max are a level above what it was in the Pros, which is already phenomenal. And the cancellation mode betters that of the Sony’s. If the sound in the Max can come close to recreating the sound in my Sennheiser 650s, it’s a no brainer. And from the initial reviews, they do. 

All with the device switching convenience of Apple products—I frequently switch from my MBP to my iPhone to my iPad—the Max knows which device I want to listen to without having to reconnect every time. 

I did order mine on day 1. They just won’t be here until March. 

38 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

Not an audiophile.  I can be satisfied with headphones that cost a fifth of the price.

Congrats? The great thing is, there are options—you have the option to buy whatever headphones you want, and I have the same option. 

Unrelated, as someone who thinks the 598s/650s are the most comfortable headphones ever created... FUCK the Sennheiser vice grips known as the 280s. How the same company can produce such drastically different headphones in the same product line is beyond me. 

7 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Congrats? The great thing is, there are options—you have the option to buy whatever headphones you want, and I have the same option. 

Oh, calm down.  I didn't even read any of your comments or care, I simply made a comment in response to the thread title. :rolleyes:

Decided to treat myself to these as a self congratulations for getting a new job. They're really quite good. The sound and noise cancellation are great, and I find that they fit my absolutely enormous head very comfortably, to the point where I wonder if they'd feel secure on someone with a small to normal sized skull.

Worth the money? Hard to say. I've had a nice pair of Sennheisers and I like the AirPods Max a good bit better than those, actually. I also have a set of wired, open air Grados and those sound and feel very different, which isn't a surprise. Assuming I ever go back into an office again, these would probably be the optimal gear for that environment... isolating, very good sound, and an easy toggle between cancellation and passthrough mode.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Emblazon said:

The AirPods Pro are significantly better than AirPods. That being said, I do hate in-ear buds that create a seal. If you’re not blasting music, you hear your own breathing, you hear your heartbeat, and it’s just a genuinely uncomfortable feeling. If the Pros didn’t have Transparency mode, I wouldn’t have bought them. 

Over-ear headphones are inarguably the best way to listen to audio from a small form factor (something that goes on your head). 

Apparently, the transparency mode with the Max are a level above what it was in the Pros, which is already phenomenal. And the cancellation mode betters that of the Sony’s. If the sound in the Max can come close to recreating the sound in my Sennheiser 650s, it’s a no brainer. And from the initial reviews, they do. 

All with the device switching convenience of Apple products—I frequently switch from my MBP to my iPhone to my iPad—the Max knows which device I want to listen to without having to reconnect every time. 

I did order mine on day 1. They just won’t be here until March. 

I have the Jabra 85t’s and I cannot stand the seal thing. They are so unbelievably uncomfortable, too. The sound is amazing, but damn, why don’t more reviews ever emphasize the fit isn’t for everyone.

I mean I guess I understand this is very ymmv but the only two things that have ever particularly bothered me with in-ear monitors are being able to hear yourself eating something crunchy and the stethoscope effect from the wire banging against your body while doing something like running. The wires weren't enough to be a huge deal for me, so take that away and crunchy foods being annoying to eat isn't exactly a dealbreaker.

Meanwhile with over-ear headphones I feel like something like crunchy foods still gets amplified since so much background noise is blocked out.

14 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Decided to treat myself to these as a self congratulations for getting a new job. They're really quite good. The sound and noise cancellation are great, and I find that they fit my absolutely enormous head very comfortably, to the point where I wonder if they'd feel secure on someone with a small to normal sized skull.

Worth the money? Hard to say. I've had a nice pair of Sennheisers and I like the AirPods Max a good bit better than those, actually. I also have a set of wired, open air Grados and those sound and feel very different, which isn't a surprise. Assuming I ever go back into an office again, these would probably be the optimal gear for that environment... isolating, very good sound, and an easy toggle between cancellation and passthrough mode.

No wonder you were Pro Controller shaming me in that Switch thread a couple months back. Boy, you rich, rich!