What Are You Reading or Listening To?

Cell was...weird. Defintely in the bottom half of my SK rankings. Started out strong, but then got a little weird for me. Not a bad book, just not my favorite from my favorite author. I gave it 3.5/5.

Now onto Harlem Shuffle by Colson Whitehead. I also started Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist on my Kindle. Haven't started a new nonfiction yet, but I'm leaning toward We Were Soldiers Once...and Young by Hal Moore. Read it in high school, but I remember little.

50 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Cell was...weird. Defintely in the bottom half of my SK rankings. Started out strong, but then got a little weird for me. Not a bad book, just not my favorite from my favorite author. I gave it 3.5/5.

Agree it had a strong start but then it almost seemed like he didn't know where he wanted to go with it. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Now onto Harlem Shuffle by Colson Whitehead. I also started Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist on my Kindle. Haven't started a new nonfiction yet, but I'm leaning toward We Were Soldiers Once...and Young by Hal Moore. Read it in high school, but I remember little.

I'll be interested to know what you think of Harlem Shuffle. It's one that I was "supposed" to read for a book club but I didn't get very far before getting distracted and not finishing. :blush:

3 hours ago, Nokra said:

I'll be interested to know what you think of Harlem Shuffle. It's one that I was "supposed" to read for a book club but I didn't get very far before getting distracted and not finishing. :blush:

I’ll give my thoughts when done. I’ve read Underground Railroad and The Nickel Boys from him and both were good, but I really had to focus on my reading with them. 

On 11/28/2022 at 6:28 PM, Nokra said:

I’m close to halfway through and I think I’m gonna have to set it aside for a bit. I just can’t really get into it. It’s been a struggle to read 130 pages over the last week+. There’s just nothing really going on. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I’m close to halfway through and I think I’m gonna have to set it aside for a bit. I just can’t really get into it. It’s been a struggle to read 130 pages over the last week+. There’s just nothing really going on. 

Interesting, that's almost exactly where I quit, also. People in the book club said that they liked it, but it's hard to know if that was because they're mostly on the younger side (and therefore maybe more willing to waste their own time? :p ) or maybe it eventually comes together, but yeah I also didn't feel like there was much substance there. 

7 hours ago, Nokra said:

Interesting, that's almost exactly where I quit, also. People in the book club said that they liked it, but it's hard to know if that was because they're mostly on the younger side (and therefore maybe more willing to waste their own time? :p ) or maybe it eventually comes together, but yeah I also didn't feel like there was much substance there. 

I did make a post about it in one of the more progressive book groups I’m in(they love this author), but so far, everyone who has responded has said roughly the same. 

My reading has seriously taken a back seat to gaming since Ragnarok came out. I really haven't gotten much done. Still working on Let the Right One in, but I also started Viking: Blood and Blade by Peter Gibbons. Thought maybe an action packed book might jolt me out of my slump.

I've still read 106 books on the year, a new record for me.

On 11/26/2022 at 8:00 PM, thewhyteboar said:

That was enjoyable. Now to knock off something that has been on my list forever, Brighton Rock by Graham Greene.

That was incredible and not really what I was expecting. I’d never read anything by Graham Greene before so didn’t know how deep it went into Catholicism and sin and grace. I want to read another by him but first want something with a bit of a lighter writing style, so started Don’t Know Tough, a kinda neo-noir Southern gothic. 

21 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

That was incredible and not really what I was expecting. I’d never read anything by Graham Greene before so didn’t know how deep it went into Catholicism and sin and grace. I want to read another by him but first want something with a bit of a lighter writing style, so started Don’t Know Tough, a kinda neo-noir Southern gothic. 

Brighton Rock (and by extension, the "Two Cathedrals" episode of The West Wing) contains a quote which as a lapsed Catholic that will probably remain with me for as long as I live and breathe:

“You cannot conceive, nor can I, of the appalling strangeness of the mercy of God.”

On 12/10/2022 at 10:24 AM, thewhyteboar said:

Halfway through Don’t Know Tough and I’m not really enjoying it. I think I’m gonna bail and start something else. 

I lost a Take of Two Cities on the r bus which was a shame, so I ended up reading a book called A Spot of Bother over 2 days. Really English, quite enjoyable.

I was going to move on to Eragon, but instead reading The Battles of Tolkien - which is kind of a history/summarisation of the Beatles in Tolkien’s writing. It’s weirdly interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Been awhile since I updated. I’ve read a few since then:

The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene. Guess I wanted some more of that good Catholic guilt to wash over me. 

Then I read a western that was fine. The Tenderfoot by Robert Vaughn. 

And then decided to read another by Charles Portis, True Grit. Portis is probably the funniest writer I’ve ever read, it’s hard to pull out a joke from the text but every sentence is just so clever and amusing.