Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

19 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I wonder if this younger influx of progressives of color will be who takes the mantle in the future, garnering support from all corners like Obama.

I wonder if we're going to have to wait thirty more years for another good run from the left to be told that we're demanding too much, too many impossible goals.

All while the planet burns and no real action will have been taken.

"When I ran for president in 1984 and 1988 I ran on a progressive agenda and platform of “Bold Leadership and a New Direction” that advocated a single-payer health care system and Bernie Sanders was one of only three major white politicians who endorsed me - Jim Hightower of Texas and Paul Wellstone of Minnesota were the other two.  Bernie Sanders is running on a Medicare-for-All single-payer health care plan."

"Joe Biden says Bernie Sander’s Medicare-for-All plan will cost $35 trillion over ten years for covering all Americans with a comprehensive and universal health care plan.  The press has not demanded the cost of Biden’s program of reforming the ACA or saying how many Americans will be left without health insurance under Biden’s reform plan.  The current number without health insurance under the ACA is 28 million with over 60 million more underinsured.  We’re currently spending $4 trillion annually and the last time I checked $4 trillion-times-10-years equals $40 trillion minimum for Biden’s plan, assuming no cost increases under Biden’s essentially continuing private insurance dominated ACA plan.  That’s why Sander’s says Biden’s plan will actually cost $50 trillion over 10-years."

"Joe Biden can defeat Donald Trump, but he does have a not-so-proud record of dealing with the desegregation of public schools in Delaware.  Bernie Sanders has the best history and the best record of fighting for equal rights, civil and human rights both at home and abroad."

"Joe Biden can defeat Donald Trump, but the two Democratic moderate candidates who most recently dropped out and endorsed him had their own negative racial records and racial problems in their home states of Indiana and Minnesota."

"When Amy Klobuchar, Pete Buttigieg, Michael Bloomberg and all the other Democrats came out in support of the more moderate Joe Biden after his South Carolina victory, they didn’t do it so much to support Joe Biden, or they would have done it earlier.  They did it to stop the progressive politics of Bernie Sanders and stopping progressive politics has never been in the interests of black, brown, red, poor people, workers or the middle class."

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Youth vote has been up? I thought all age demos were.

I was under the understanding that the youth vote was DOWN in the Democratic primaries so for this season and that is the main reason why Bernie didn't do better on Super Tuesday.

The Youth Vote Goes Missing in the Democratic Primaries

Youth voter turnout so far in the Democratic primaries is either flat or declining compared with the 2016 primaries.

Why it matters: Sen. Bernie Sanders has based much of his strategy on the hope that he could turn out large numbers of young voters. The apparent decline is bad news for him, but it will also make it more difficult for future-focused issues like climate change to gain political traction.

Context: According to the Harvard Institute of Politics, while raw turnout is up in all 12 of the states with competitive elections, the youth vote has only risen in four states, and is flat in two other states.

Super Tuesday: Why Didn't More People Vote?

In the US, people aged 39 and younger - millennials and Generation Z - now make up more than a third of eligible voters. They're considered more ethnically diverse, and liberal, than older generations, and experts say they could make a significant impact on this year's elections.

Except younger voters, as a cohort, consistently turn out in lower numbers than older generations.

The Democratic Party is currently electing its nominee to take on President Donald Trump in November's election, and one candidate, Senator Bernie Sanders, has argued he alone can mobilise young and new voters.

The 78-year-old is uniquely popular with the young - according to some polls, he's the first choice of about 50% of Democratic primary voters aged 18-38.

On Super Tuesday, surveys suggest Mr Sanders won the youth vote in every single state - yet there wasn't a spike in overall youth turnout, and Mr Sanders still lost out to former Vice-President Joe Biden, 77, who won 10 out of 14 states.

Mr Sanders has admitted that it was "not easy" mobilising the youth vote. "Have we been as successful as I would hope in bringing young people in? The answer is no."

If someone has info that contradicts this please let me know because that is not what my understanding has been.

Most black voters my age don't want Biden at all. Warren, Kamala, Bernie, those have been the candidates I've seem the most passionate support for

Warren and Bernie, I'll give you but Kamala? As far as I know ( and I could be wrong) black folks weren't fucking with her especially progressive, black millennials. Her record as a Prosecutor in Oakland did her in amongst young black progressives and no one was buying her trying to rebrand herself as a "Progressive Prosecutor". I've defended her in enough social media circles to know that black folks ain't feeling Kamala and I don't know what picking her as his running mate really does for Biden. It's not gonna gain him much from black progressive millennials. They'd prefer Stacy Abrams.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

I thought black people hate Bernie doe. 

I don't know if this is directed at me or not but I hope I haven't given the impression that I think black people hate Bernie or that I myself hate him. One of my closest friends, my ex-girlfriend and a BUNCH of other people I know are ALL Bernie supporters. I don't have a problem with Bernie either and I would vote for him if he's the nominee... I just don't see him winning against Trump for a whole HOST of reasons and even if he did, I don't see him accomplishing one THIRD of the stuff he's promising. Me and Bernie are cool... a good chunk of his supporters can go fuck themselves though.

6 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I wonder if this younger influx of progressives of color will be who takes the mantle in the future, garnering support from all corners like Obama.

Honestly... I don't even know how to respond to this post. Let me think on this for a bit because there's a decent amount to unpack here :thinking:

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I was under the understanding that the youth vote was DOWN in the Democratic primaries so for this season and that is the main reason why Bernie didn't do better on Super Tuesday.

The Youth Vote Goes Missing in the Democratic Primaries

Super Tuesday: Why Didn't More People Vote?

If someone has info that contradicts this please let me know because that is not what my understanding has been.

Warren and Bernie, I'll give you but Kamala? As far as I know ( and I could be wrong) black folks weren't fucking with her especially progressive, black millennials. Her record as a Prosecutor in Oakland did her in amongst young black progressives and no one was buying her trying to rebrand herself as a "Progressive Prosecutor". I've defended her in enough social media circles to know that black folks ain't feeling Kamala and I don't know what picking her as his running mate really does for Biden. It's not gonna gain him much from black progressive millennials. They'd prefer Stacy Abrams.

I don't know if this is directed at me or not but I hope I haven't given the impression that I think black people hate Bernie or that I myself hate him. One of my closest friends, my ex-girlfriend and a BUNCH of other people I know are ALL Bernie supporters. I don't have a problem with Bernie either and I would vote for him if he's the nominee... I just don't see him winning against Trump for a whole HOST of reasons and even if he did, I don't see him accomplishing one THIRD of the stuff he's promising. Me and Bernie are cool... a good chunk of his supporters can go fuck themselves though.

Hmm, I thought I read info showing it up in all demographics, but that's pretty cut and dry. Gonna have to some digging and figure out what I was reading.

Full video:

Trump's unfortunately going to go after his stutter during this campaign if he wins, but the idea that he said that is wrong. Full quote: "We can only re-elect Donald Trump if, in fact, we get engaged in this circular firing squad here." 

10 hours ago, Comet said:

I wonder if Bernie can actually take Michigan. A win there with a solid debate showing and the March 17th states could be interesting. 

Only poll out of there has him down 20, but across the board his margins are down, especially with white voters.

With the polls as they are in Michigan, Sanders  needs a polling error similar to 2016's, when he trailed by 20ish points but won by 1.5. Otherwise, Washington is his only possible win and it doesn't bode well into the following week.

I'll still put my ballot in for Bernie in Florida, but no Michigan = not many options.

Eh, while Patrick is one of the possibilities (and a terrible one), there are more:

Also high on the list of potential Biden picks for #2 are several African Americans: Sen. Kamala Harris (first on many lists) and Sen. Cory Booker, both of whom ended their nomination fights before the voting began ... former Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, who ended his presidential campaign after New Hampshire ... and former Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams, who electrifies crowds.

Sen. Amy Klobuchar is in the mix, too. 

Others who could bring diversity and relative youth to the ticket include Sen. Tammy Duckworth of Illinois and Rep. Val Demings of Florida, who got high marks as a House impeachment manager.

One adviser told us when we asked who the V.P. pick would be: "Whoever Jim Clyburn wants it to be."

Indeed, Biden feels Clyburn — the South Carolinian who is the highest ranking African American in Congress — helped raise him from the dead with his endorsement. Black voters on Super Tuesday sealed Biden's political salvation. 

1 minute ago, Jose said:

That tweet was about picking the worst possibility on every list to scare people.

I think what's scary is after the boring Tim Kaine pick, I could see this boring-ass pick being a reality, especially since Hillary picked Kaine over Booker. :lol: 

But I don't see, if you REALLY want to go the route of a diverse ticket, you'd choose him over so many superior and more exciting options. I'd have to think Patrick's just on a list, but not the one jumping out.

For the supposed outreach he's done to court progressives/the left, most of his picks (from the article) are not much better than Trump's, but in demeanor. This is how the banks got bailed out and not homeowners in 09. This would be a disaster.

The fact that the only thought given to progressives is Elizabeth Warren is quite telling, and only in the interest of a token "uniting the party" story.

14 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

For the supposed outreach he's done to court progressives/the left, most of his picks (from the article) are not much better than Trump's, but in demeanor. This is how the banks got bailed out and not homeowners in 09. This would be a disaster.

The fact that the only thought given to progressives is Elizabeth Warren is quite telling, and only in the interest of a token "uniting the party" story.

Besides Warren, who would be a suitable Biden V.P. Pick that would make progressives feel better?

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Besides Warren, who would be a suitable Biden V.P. Pick that would make progressives feel better?

It's not so much that she would be the pick, but that she is the only concession to roughly at least third or more of the party.

Someone like Nina Turner would be fantastic, imo. Younger, unapologetically progressive/left, and a woman of color. But I may be in the minority on this one.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

That would get me very excited even if she endorses Biden over Bernie.

The problem with Warren is that she is in her 70's as well... If she's his running mate (which I have no problem with) wouldn't the be the oldest ticket in history?

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Someone like Nina Turner would be fantastic, imo. Younger, unapologetically progressive/left, and a woman of color. But I may be in the minority on this one.

Is there a person like that out there? I know folks are mentioning Stacy Abrams, but are there other young progressives out there that I'm not aware of that would fit the bill?

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

The problem with Warren is that she is in her 70's as well... If she's his running mate (which I have no problem with) wouldn't the be the oldest ticket in history?

Is there a person like that out there? I know folks are mentioning Stacy Abrams, but are there other young progressives out there that I'm not aware of that would fit the bill?

Abrams is exciting but I wouldn't call her unapologetically progressive like Nina. 

She's a rare find to be sure. This is the problem with the party casting out truly progressive voices over the past generation: the bench is empty.