AMD has an announcement of an Announcement -- Big NAVI on Oct 28, Zen 3 on Oct 8

3 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

My last sentence covered my stance on Navi 10. I disagree. Ray tracing arguably wasn't worth the FPS cost on the 2070 and DLSS 1.0 wasn't widely supported.

Basically the same price, basically the same performance, but less features. Great alternative! 🥴 

50 minutes ago, Ominous said:

If AMD was going to be comparable to the 3000 series wouldn't you expect some type of benchmarks, or leaks, to keep people from dropping coin on nvidia? Maybe I've missed them, but if you are going to compete you don't sit silent for a month... 

You haven't miss anything. 

I just hope Zen 3 is a worthwhile upgrade for me. Can't believe processors have been so slow that I am rocking a CPU from 2015 still. I only got the 6700k because my previous CPU from 2012 died.

1 hour ago, Ominous said:

If AMD was going to be comparable to the 3000 series wouldn't you expect some type of benchmarks, or leaks, to keep people from dropping coin on nvidia? Maybe I've missed them, but if you are going to compete you don't sit silent for a month... 

The jump in performance from a 2080 (or 1080 for a lot of people) to a 3080 is too real for AMD to realistically whisk away buyers. Unless AMD has something better and cheaper I don't think there's anything they can to dissuade 3080 buyers. The 3070 doesn't come out until October so if they were going to target anyone it'll be people eyeing the 3070 or people jilted that 3080s are out of stock.

On 9/10/2020 at 9:46 AM, Spork3245 said:

Man, I want to be wrong about this GPU, I REALLY hate nVidia having such a monopoly. Like, you can’t even say that AMD is a mid-end alternative at this point when taking into account RTX features and DLSS, especially. The 5700 XT prices $20-100 below the nVidia equivalent (RTX 2070 or 2070 Super depending if you want a hair below or a hair above 5700 XT performance) but offers no AI upscaling and no ray-tracing making it a “why would anyone buy this over a 2070/2070 Super unless you hate nVidia or don’t know any better?” GPU. Big Navi should have some type of DX12 ray-tracing support, but I’m not expecting much in terms of it matching the RT performance of the 30XX series. 
Again, I *REALLY* hope I’m wrong, but AMD just seems light years behind at this point.

Why would you buy a 5700XT when it came out? Maybe because it offers competitive raster performance at its price point?

Ray-tracing is nice but it kills performance on RTX 20 series cards, and both it and DLSS have minuscule game support. Beyond that it's really just speculation on what the future holds.

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2020 at 4:38 PM, Ominous said:

This is deliberate, but not for the reasons you suggest. AMD was all bluster and big noise about Vega 64 and Radeon 7, mostly the fault of Raja Koduri who wouldn't shut up about them. And obviously they completely fell short of expectations. So now they're trying to keep things in check.

People I've talked to that perhaps know about things behind the curtain tell me that Navi will do well at rasterization.

35 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Why would you buy a 5700XT when it came out? Maybe because it offers competitive raster performance at its price point?

Ray-tracing is nice but it kills performance on RTX 20 series cards, and both it and DLSS have minuscule game support. Beyond that it's really just speculation on what the future holds.

That’s the issue, similar performance, not really a price difference - you can downplay RTX features as much as you like, but just like gameworks before it, support was always coming. So you have the option of two cards: similar performance, price is practically the same, do you get the one that offers more graphical features that may catch on, or do you bet that no game you’ll ever play will use those features. AMD dropped the ball last/this gen (wherever the 5700 falls :p ), I’m rooting for Big Navi to be a comeback, even if it’s only for the mid-end.

11 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That’s the issue, similar performance, not really a price difference - you can downplay RTX features as much as you like, but just like gameworks before it, support was always coming. So you have the option of two cards: similar performance, price is practically the same, do you get the one that offers more graphical features that may catch on, or do you bet that no game you’ll ever play will use those features. AMD dropped the ball last/this gen, I’m rooting for Big Navi to be a comeback, even if it’s only for the mid-end.

Comparing RTX to GameWorks isn't very flattering for RTX. Most people I know left those features off because of the performance bullcrap it caused.

To be clear, the 5700XT performed better than its competition at launch. Then NVIDIA launched the 2070 Super to even things out, and they honestly trade blows pretty equally, but the 5700XT is a full $100 cheaper.

12 hours ago, Reputator said:

Comparing RTX to GameWorks isn't very flattering for RTX. Most people I know left those features off because of the performance bullcrap it caused.

Most people I know enabled the features. Anecdotal nonsense is nice because there’s no statistics and it just reinforces your own beliefs. Much like downplaying the significance of DLSS :p 

To be clear, the 5700XT performed better than its competition at launch. Then NVIDIA launched the 2070 Super to even things out, and they honestly trade blows pretty equally, but the 5700XT is a full $100 cheaper.

That’s why I said “similar performance”

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx_5700-rx_5700_xt,6216-3.html
With some exceptions, the difference is typically 3-5 fps with the 5700 XT vs 2070 (non Super), with the 2070 beating it in a few games, and the 5700 XT decimating nVidia in Vulkan performance. The 2070 has a ~$20 price difference vs the 5700 XT, the Super is indeed $100... which is why I stated:

The 5700 XT prices $20-100 below the nVidia equivalent

I agree that the 5700 XT is an alternative If you...

hate nVidia or don’t know any better

:shrug:

The 5700 XT prices $20-100 below the nVidia equivalent

16 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

price is practically the same

kay

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I agree that the 5700 XT is an alternative If you...

"hate nVidia or don’t know any better"

I mean this is just straight up closed-minded fanboyism right here. You're attempting to downplay the performance per dollar advantage of the 5700XT while playing up the limited supported features of the 2070S.

How about this: The 5700XT is an alternative to you if you're savvy with your money and don't like wasting it on half-baked features.

4 hours ago, Reputator said:

kay

$20 isn’t practically the same?

I mean this is just straight up closed-minded fanboyism right here.

It’s not. I don’t give a crap about brands. Your emotional response to GPUs is duly noted, though.

You're attempting to downplay the performance per dollar advantage of the 5700XT while playing up the limited supported features of the 2070S.

I spoke about the $20 more expensive 2070 non-S, it was clearly the focus of my response... but you can argue non-points if it really makes you feel good?

How about this: The 5700XT is an alternative to you if you're savvy with your money and don't like wasting it on half-baked features.

DLSS and ray-tracing are a “half-baked feature”, yea... and I’m the fanboy here, JFC. :lol: 
If you “valued” your money you’d get the card that offers more graphical effects and basically the same performance in scenarios without those effects (or way better performance when DLSS is supported), not the “half-baked” alternative made for biased dumb dumbs.

The 5700 cards make sense as a temporary solution, if you plan to upgrade within 2 years anyway. Of course, you are betting on how long it takes for games to embrace RT+DLSS support on a wide-scale basis. My guess would be 2 years, but I could see a 1 year timeframe where every major release will support those features.

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

PhsyX for life!

"Good enough" CPU physics definitely killed it though.  RIP.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

$20 isn’t practically the same?

I spoke about the $20 more expensive 2070 non-S.

If you're comparing it to the non-Super, then performance isn't "practically the same." The 5700XT definitively beats it in 17 out of the 24 tests here with newer drivers.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2015-geforce-rtx-2070-super-vs-radeon-5700-xt/

You can't say it performs the same and costs the same in the same sentence. It either performs the same or slightly worse for $100+ cheaper, or it costs the same but performs better nearly all the time.

13 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

DLSS is a “half-baked feature”, yea.., and I’m the fanboy here. :lol: 

Ray-tracing hasn't justified its existence yet in lieu of performance, DLSS 1.0 was most certainly a joke, DLSS 2.0 is amazing but because it still has to be implemented on a per-game basis, the support is WIP. So yeah, not fully baked.

23 minutes ago, Reputator said:

If you're comparing it to the non-Super, then performance isn't "practically the same." The 5700XT definitively beats it in 17 out of the 24 tests here with newer drivers.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2015-geforce-rtx-2070-super-vs-radeon-5700-xt/

Weren’t we discussing at launch?
If we’re talking about the past 5-6 months and you really don’t care about DLSS or RT, then neither card is worth the money when certified 1080 Tis have been priced at $400-450 from EVGA with warranty since March:p 

(Zotac as well, but 90-day warranty... ew)

You can't say it performs the same and costs the same in the same sentence.

I can say it when I was talking about the 2070, but I never said “the same” - words very much matter and you’re removing very important ones that I used, bud :p 

Ray-tracing hasn't justified its existence yet in lieu of performance, DLSS 1.0 was most certainly a joke, DLSS 2.0 is amazing but because it still has to be implemented on a per-game basis, the support is WIP. So yeah, not fully baked.

And the games it has been and is being implemented into are some of the biggest AAA games of the year.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I can say it when I was talking about the 2070, but I never said “the same” - words very much matter and you’re removing very important ones that I used, bud :p 

You made some pretty blatantly false statements and you're playing a tiring game of semantics to get out of it.

Moore's Law is Dead is "confident" that AMD will be releasing a new Navi 21-powered graphics card that will have performance that will be within "spitting distance of the RTX 3080 in rasterization performance. If AMD doesn't "beat" the 3080, they will assuredly crush the RTX 3070".

Some more notes from MLID:

At least within spitting distance of the RTX 3080 in rasterization performance. If AMD doesn't "beat" the 3080, they will assuredly crush the RTX 3070.

Substantially more efficient at originally intended clocks than Ampere, although they may push some models a bit to more directly compete with the 3080. Even when pushed, I do not expect these models to be power hogs.

Potentially smaller than many people seem to expect, at least relative to Ampere. The specs I have just been made aware of are close to what I had incorrectly assumed must be Navi 22. This is made possible by incredible improvements to how RDNA manages memory and bandwidth. It should (for the first time since before GCN) make due with less bandwidth than NVIDIA counterparts.

Provides Ray Tracing capabilities that overall exceed Turing, but likely underperform Ampere.

No confirmation on what AMD's answer to DLSS will be, but they are "taking it seriously." The software stack is simply not confirmed yet.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/75139/amd-big-navi-hits-spitting-distance-of-geforce-rtx-3080-performance/index.html

One sign that AMD is better funded is they are releasing a competitive card within a few months of nvidia. In the last 5 years, it would take them up to 18 months to release something competitive. If AMD can crank out RDNA 3 within 15 months, I think we are going to see some competition assuming they can somehow counter dlss. 

WWW.TWEAKTOWN.COM

AMD's new Radeon RX 6900 XT should be powered by Navi 21 GPU, 16GB of GDDR6 memory on a 256-bit memory bus, could cost $499.

hqdefault95.jpg
WWW.NOTEBOOKCHECK.NET

Following a separate revelation about AMD's RX 6900XT potentially beating the GeForce RTX 3090 in gaming workloads, tipster @_rogame revealed what appear...

7 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:
WWW.TWEAKTOWN.COM

AMD's new Radeon RX 6900 XT should be powered by Navi 21 GPU, 16GB of GDDR6 memory on a 256-bit memory bus, could cost $499.

hqdefault95.jpg
WWW.NOTEBOOKCHECK.NET

Following a separate revelation about AMD's RX 6900XT potentially beating the GeForce RTX 3090 in gaming workloads, tipster @_rogame revealed what appear...

curiosity GIF

• 2 weeks later...

Zen 3 official, available November 5 if you're a robot! The price hike looks substantial, particularly for the 8-core part compared to what I can find the 3700x priced at. But if they can deliver the promised 20% IPC gain, with sustained higher boost clocks (my launch 3700x barely boosts to 4.3 GHz consistently), then they will certainly be matching Intel for gaming performance and blowing them out of the water for everything else (because they already beat them in everything else price-to-price).

AMD Ryzen 5000 Series Processors
Zen 3 Microarchitecture
AnandTech Cores
Threads
Base
Freq
Turbo
Freq
L3
Cache
TDP MSRP
Ryzen 9 5950X 16c/32t 3400 4900 64 MB 105 W $799