AMD has an announcement of an Announcement -- Big NAVI on Oct 28, Zen 3 on Oct 8

The Challenge AMD has is that with the advent of DLSS2.0 and beyond, adoption of this tech is now rapidly moving forward. When DLSS 1.0 hit it mostly just sat there. DLSS 2.0 is genuinely gaining traction and if it hits broad adoption, AMD must have an alternative or they will be slaughter in both performance and price from the top of the stack to the bottom. I hope their new GPUs have a solution to this issue, or the next generation of RTX card will be more expensive than ever. 

15 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The Challenge AMD has is that with the advent of DLSS2.0 and beyond, adoption of this tech is now rapidly moving forward. When DLSS 1.0 hit it mostly just sat there. DLSS 2.0 is genuinely gaining traction and if it hits broad adoption, AMD must have an alternative or they will be slaughter in both performance and price from the top of the stack to the bottom. I hope their new GPUs have a solution to this issue, or the next generation of RTX card will be more expensive than ever. 

#SaveUsMatrox

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

spacer.png

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

It might not because of the consoles. They seem pretty powerful so that might keep Nvidia in check. Plus the low adoption rate for the 2xxx series.

34 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

It might not because of the consoles. They seem pretty powerful so that might keep Nvidia in check. Plus the low adoption rate for the 2xxx series.

Those are fair points, but the 3xxx series will sell really well and the 2xxx series will finally start selling on the used market because the 3xxx series makes them more than redundant. In my mind, it really comes down to just how easy it is to implement future DLSS iterations. If it gets any easier than 2.0 and 80% of the discrete market is team green, how do you stop that? Games that start as console titles will also adopt DLSS when ported over, just like Death Stranding. Whatever the method, DLSS or otherwise, AI assisted reconstruction techniques are clearly the path forward. I just hope AMD does what they always do and find a way to take this feature our of Nvidia's singular control. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Agreed. DLSS 2.0 is a game changer. When a GPU can render as little as 1/4 the pixels and the rest can be accurately "guessed", at a huge performance uplift, that will have consequences for the entire product stack at all budget levels.

Man, I want to be wrong about this GPU, I REALLY hate nVidia having such a monopoly. Like, you can’t even say that AMD is a mid-end alternative at this point when taking into account RTX features and DLSS, especially. The 5700 XT prices $20-100 below the nVidia equivalent (RTX 2070 or 2070 Super depending if you want a hair below or a hair above 5700 XT performance) but offers no AI upscaling and no ray-tracing making it a “why would anyone buy this over a 2070/2070 Super unless you hate nVidia or don’t know any better?” GPU. Big Navi should have some type of DX12 ray-tracing support, but I’m not expecting much in terms of it matching the RT performance of the 30XX series. 
Again, I *REALLY* hope I’m wrong, but AMD just seems light years behind at this point.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Man, I want to be wrong about this GPU, I REALLY hate nVidia having such a monopoly. Like, you can’t even say that AMD is a mid-end alternative at this point when taking into account RTX features and DLSS, especially. The 5700 XT prices $20-100 below the nVidia equivalent (RTX 2070 or 2070 Super depending if you want a hair below or a hair above 5700 XT performance) but offers no AI upscaling and no ray-tracing making it a “why would anyone buy this over a 2070/2070 Super unless you hate nVidia or don’t know any better?” GPU. Big Navi should have some type of DX12 ray-tracing support, but I’m not expecting much in terms of it matching the RT performance of the 30XX series. 
Again, I *REALLY* hope I’m wrong, but AMD just seems light years behind at this point.

I have somewhat tempered my expectations. In that if I can't get a 3080 or 3090 I will settle for Big navi because I expect it to be between a 3080 and 3070.

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

I have somewhat tempered my expectations. In that if I can't get a 3080 or 3090 I will settle for Big navi because I expect it to be between a 3080 and 3070.

If it doesn’t have comparable RT performance and/or doesn’t have a DLSS equivalent (that devs will actually support), I’d highly recommend against it.

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Is AMD even capable of something like DLSS at anything approaching an equivalent quality? I feel like nvidia is REALLY far ahead in the AI game.

There’s rumors that they’ve been working (scrambling) on their own equivalent. Who knows if it’s ready for their next GPU, though.

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

This is premature. There are no third party reviews of Nvidia's new cards and AMD hasn't even announced anything yet. Navi 10 was a viable mid tier option last gen.

2 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

This is premature. There are no third party reviews of Nvidia's new cards and AMD hasn't even announced anything yet. Navi 10 was a viable mid tier option last gen.

If you read my entire post you’d see I was talking about the currently released cards... like, literally the next sentence :p 

1 minute ago, Massdriver said:

Yeah we don't really need reviews. We've seen games running on the 3080. It's pretty much exactly what they claimed. Barring any catastrophic hardware issues, all appears as claimed.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

If you read my entire post you’d see I was talking about the currently released cards... like, literally the next sentence :p 

My last sentence covered my stance on Navi 10. I disagree. Ray tracing arguably wasn't worth the FPS cost on the 2070 and DLSS 1.0 wasn't widely supported. It's going to be a much bigger deal going forward, but when talking about buying a card over a year ago, it just wasn't as big of an issue.