Why is Star Wars so popular?

On 8/7/2020 at 3:29 PM, ort said:

ROTJ is well directed. The problems are in the script.

TROS is like you took 3 different Star Wars movies and boiled them down into one super dense nugget of Star Wars. It's more like the crack cocaine.

Someone somewhere once said watching TROS is like telling your friend you love potato salad... so he ties you to a chair and mashes 800 lbs of potato salad into your face for 2 hours straight.

I really disliked pretty much everything about TROS. It wasn't quite prequel bad, but it was closer to that quality level than it wasn't. It took a giant poo all over the good will they built up over the first two movies.

I also thought the Mandalorian was just kinda okay, but I seem to be pretty alone in that opinion.

I remember that tweet about the potatoes. I still can't believe Abrams directed it. I know he's not an elite director, but I found and still find TFA to be well-made, a lot of fun, with plucky new characters that do very well with the classic ones. The difference in the direction and pace is night and day between TFA and TROS. The scenes when you first see Rey in TFA as she scavenges and puts on an X-Wing helmet while staring out and just wondering when her parents would return? There's nothing in TROS that lets you breathe for even a second. And the cinematography seemed lacking compared to TFA. There weren't really many moments like this:

2PBknmz.jpg

Such a weird movie.

On 8/8/2020 at 11:57 AM, number305 said:

@Greatoneshere wait... What kind of monster forces someone to watch the extended edition of the hobbit movies? 

My wife and I like being in the world of Middle-Earth, and we both stand by the fact that the Hobbit movies are a lot of fun. The extended editions are better because then it feels like you're in a LOTR TV show. :p 

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

My wife and I like being in the world of Middle-Earth, and we both stand by the fact that the Hobbit movies are a lot of fun. The extended editions are better because then it feels like you're in a LOTR TV show. :p 

Eh, I guess this is a good thread to talk about this because I watched them again about 6 months ago with my kids. The first movie was okay... The next two reminded me of watching star wars ep 1.  I just can't take them. The hobbit is a simple story that didn't need three movies. It was just greed to stretch them that thin. Like butter scraped over too much bread. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'd argue that it was Gen-Xers and Millennials that made it REALLY popular with the toys, videogames and comics :shrug:

While certainly there popularity continued to swell over time, boomers are the people who took the flick to 200 million in May-August of 1977-78, which is roughly equivalent of 800 million in 2020 dollars :p 

31 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

While certainly there popularity continued to swell over time, boomers are the people who took the flick to 200 million in May-August of 1977-78, which is roughly equivalent of 800 million in 2020 dollars :p 

Yeah by taking their kids to see the movies (Gen -Xers and Millenials) who then bought the toys and spent the next 30 years obsessing over the three initial films. My parents and aunts and uncles all saw the Star Wars films when they came out in the movies... they didn';t think about those movies much after seeing them. It was the kids who saw those movies as children and played with those toys and carried that love into their adult hood that made Star Wars the property it is today.  

27 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah by taking their kids to see the movies (Gen -Xers and Millenials) who then bought the toys and spent the next 30 years obsessing over the three initial films. My parents and aunts and uncles all saw the Star Wars films when they came out in the movies... they didn';t think about those movies much after seeing them. It was the kids who saw those movies as children and played with those toys and carried that love into their adult hood that made Star Wars the property it is today.  

Not a single millennial was alive in 1977-78. You’re nuts AND wrong if you don’t think people between ages 11-30 in 77 were the primary audience for Star Wars. It was incredibly popular solely as a film before the explosion of merchandise