Elon Musk claims his mysterious brain chip will allow people to hear previously impossible sounds.

The originally idea for the Hyperloop in 2012 was that you were going to be hurled through a tube at supersonic speeds and you'd be able to reach cities hundreds of miles away in less than a hour. So far what's he's built (partially) is a subway tunnel in Las Vegas where regular Teslas go through individually on rails. Just keep that in mind any time he just spouts off on something out like this.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

The originally idea for the Hyperloop in 2012 was that you were going to be hurled through a tube at supersonic speeds and you'd be able to reach cities hundreds of miles away in less than a hour. So far what's he's built (partially) is a subway tunnel in Las Vegas where regular Teslas go through individually on rails. Just keep that in mind any time he just spouts off on something out like this.

He's vary ambitious for sure.  A lot of people laughed at his vision for rocket reuse in 2012.  But he was able to accomplish it, and because of this, they've been able to take a sizable chunk of the launch market.  

51 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Individual mass transit aka highways

4 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

He's vary ambitious for sure.  A lot of people laughed at his vision for rocket reuse in 2012.  But he was able to accomplish it, and because of this, they've been able to take a sizable chunk of the launch market.  

He does seem to have a genuine ability to hire some people around him that know what they're doing. With Tesla and SpaceX, at least. The entire concept of The Boring Company is a Springfield Monorail style grift, I think.

1 hour ago, Ricofoley said:

He does seem to have a genuine ability to hire some people around him that know what they're doing. With Tesla and SpaceX, at least. The entire concept of The Boring Company is a Springfield Monorail style grift, I think.

It's solving a problem with tunneling that isn't the problem with tunneling. Tunneling is usually a bit more expensive than a Boring Company tunnel but mostly because nobody would build a tunnel that tiny because you can't actually fit anything in it. Sticking the drilling machine in the ground is the expensive part, not the per-mile tunneling; I guess costs can add up if you have to delay to map out utility connections and stuff, and I guess a Boring Company tunnel could be a little more nimble with that just by virtue of being smaller, but I'm gonna assume it's not a huge difference.

Also, apparently Boring Company tunnels don't have basic shit like emergency exits. :silly:

Meanwhile, it's the stations that are usually expensive. Like with the Second Avenue Subway stations, which are both obscenely deep and obscenely huge. If they'd gone for shallower, smaller station caverns, that would have knocked off a LOT of the cost of the SAS project.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's solving a problem with tunneling that isn't the problem with tunneling. Tunneling is usually a bit more expensive than a Boring Company tunnel but mostly because nobody would build a tunnel that tiny because you can't actually fit anything in it. Sticking the drilling machine in the ground is the expensive part, not the per-mile tunneling; I guess costs can add up if you have to delay to map out utility connections and stuff, and I guess a Boring Company tunnel could be a little more nimble with that just by virtue of being smaller, but I'm gonna assume it's not a huge difference.

Also, apparently Boring Company tunnels don't have basic shit like emergency exits. :silly:

Meanwhile, it's the stations that are usually expensive. Like with the Second Avenue Subway stations, which are both obscenely deep and obscenely huge. If they'd gone for shallower, smaller station caverns, that would have knocked off a LOT of the cost of the SAS project.

And my understand is that they just bought a used Chinese-built machine after originally saying they were going to design their own. Is that right?

9 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

And my understand is that they just bought a used Chinese-built machine after originally saying they were going to design their own. Is that right?

That I'm not sure about off the top of my head.