Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Information Thread, update: "The Last Chapter" trailer - free update that ties up the loose ends of Eivor's story

Commissar SFLUFAN

33 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

We're going to have to differ on this.  I haven't played AC:O on console, but IMHO, on PC Ultra settings it is a clear step above RDR2 (on Ultra) and Forza Horizon 4 (on Ultra, which by the way, is my favourite game of all time).  I haven't played Control or LoU2, so I'll hold my opinions on those.

Chalk it up to a disagreement then.  I've got both current gen AC's on PC as well, hooked up to my 4K TV.  Can't say I've ran them on Ultra, since my rig is basically an X1X equivalent.  But this is the first I've heard that Ultra settings have to be seen to be believed in that game.  My understanding was that it's excessively heavy for marginal improvements at that scale, especially with the cloud settings and such.

33 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'll be honest, Observer looks good, but I don't really understand why you are so impressed with it on a technical basis.

It wasn't the only game I mentioned. ;) 

I pointed to it as a good example of a launch game taking advantage of what new the next-gen consoles can do, while still maintaining 4k60 (target).  The two aren't mutually exclusive.

With Valhalla, Ubisoft chose to keep the Anvil engine firmly rooted in the current gen.  There's nothing egregiously wrong with that, especially as a launch game.  But it's not worth defending either from Digital Foundry's disappointment and the like.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Assassin's Creed Valhalla (10 November 2020) - Information Thread, update: "Story" trailer
  • 2 weeks later...

Ravensthorpe is the name of your settlement

There are 6 "levels" of your settlement, seeing it evolve from tents and shacks to homes, buildings, and shops

Some types of buildings you can establish, each offering their own benefits to your settlement, and gameplay: Stable, Aviary, Graveyard, Shipyard, Brewery, Trading Post, Hunter's Hut, Cartographer, museum, Seer's Hut, ect

More personal relationships with recurring characters here. Unlock quests and storylines/romances the more you upgrade and recruit

Hidden One's Assassination Bureau sees you tracking down and assassinating Order of the Ancients targets, building up to a "boss"/leader

Seer's Hut sees Eivor drinking a mixture which lets him/her access "another time, another plane". Seems to be tied into the game's more mythical side of things.

War Table

17 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Ravensthorpe is the name of your settlement

There are 6 "levels" of your settlement, seeing it evolve from tents and shacks to homes, buildings, and shops

Some types of buildings you can establish, each offering their own benefits to your settlement, and gameplay: Stable, Aviary, Graveyard, Shipyard, Brewery, Trading Post, Hunter's Hut, Cartographer, museum, Seer's Hut, ect

More personal relationships with recurring characters here. Unlock quests and storylines/romances the more you upgrade and recruit

Hidden One's Assassination Bureau sees you tracking down and assassinating Order of the Ancients targets, building up to a "boss"/leader

Seer's Hut sees Eivor drinking a mixture which lets him/her access "another time, another plane". Seems to be tied into the game's more mythical side of things.

War Table

Awesome! This sounds a lot more like upgrading Ezio’s Villa/Town which I absolutely loved. Cant wait for this!

I believe the male voice actor is Cnut from The Last Kingdom so I’m 100% going male this time. Went female for Odyssey. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Assassin's Creed Valhalla (10 November 2020) - Information Thread, update: "Unleash Your Inner Viking" self-help videos

A bunch of new previews out there today.

acvalhalla-blogroll-1602624553897.jpg?wi
WWW.IGN.COM

Vikings aren't the only things new to Assassin's Creed Valhalla. The newest entry in the Assassin's Creed series comes with many dramatic changes that alter the established formula.
acv_fenrir_boss.jpg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

If you’re still hungry for more details about Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, here are five of my favorite moments from a recent gameplay session.  

Prettiest next gen game yet.

1 minute ago, JPDunks4 said:

A bunch of new previews out there today.

acvalhalla-blogroll-1602624553897.jpg?wi
WWW.IGN.COM

Vikings aren't the only things new to Assassin's Creed Valhalla. The newest entry in the Assassin's Creed series comes with many dramatic changes that alter the established formula.
acv_fenrir_boss.jpg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

If you’re still hungry for more details about Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, here are five of my favorite moments from a recent gameplay session.  

Prettiest next gen game yet.

I've read previews that say Watchdogs Legion is pretty purdy too.

Most of that sounds pretty good.

Nerfing the bird is a good idea. It's so powerful in Origins and Odyssey that you hardly have to worry about where anyone is. In Odyssey it was a rarity for me to be surprised to see anyone.

I'm glad they're reexamining their relationship with gear. In Odyssey in particular the gear felt pretty shallow, and in the pre-origins games it hardly mattered at all. Creating a loot system that gives you genuine and regular progression is much more difficult than it would seem, and I'd argue it's not something AC has ever gotten right.

In concept I like the idea of getting rid of traditional side quests in favor of a variety of world events. On the one hand I don't really love having a checklist to do in a game like this, and the last couple AC games have been very keen on checklists. On the other hand there's something very clear about a list of side quests. I do like the idea of different color dots and sizes indicating what the size of the event and reward you can expect. I've never loved the randomness of sidequests that could be a huge trek or a tiny excursion having the same indicator.

The only thing that I didn't like hearing about is this monstrosity:

skillmap.jpg

Oh god why? What the hell is the harm in a straightforward skill tree. 

latest?cb=20191113064814

This is clear. There's an obvious progression, distinct paths, no scrolling around a giant map of randomly aligned dots. It makes it easy to look at what's available, and what you might want to spend points on.

Why developers constantly want to build pretty pictures or literal mazes out of their skill trees is beyond me.

• Guillotine 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Assassin's Creed Valhalla (10 November 2020) - Information Thread, update: new "Deep Dive" trailer, "Gameplay Walkthrough" video, "PC Specs & Features" video, and final previews

ACV_cover_previews_Gabz_blue_20201014_6P
POWERUP-GAMING.COM

If there's an RPG in this generation which was more well-received, more highly praised and more loved than The Witcher III, I'm hard-pressed to think of it. So, it makes sense that Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed franchise, as it edges further into RPG territory, would crib from CD Projekt Red's magnum opus. I recently spent four-hours…

M9JP48EQmM6fhG5WozdYEE-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Assassin's Creed Valhalla is about so much more than double-fisting axes

ACV_screen_fwd_Open_World_Two_Female_200
WWW.VG247.COM

It’s one thing for games to be set in a rain-streaked, dystopian version of London, but Assassin’s Creed Valhalla is an unprecedented chance to pillage some of England’s naffest towns and cities.My epic adventure begins near errr… Coventry – which some 1,100 years later will come to boast the 4th best internet connection speeds of […]

SgiVHXAwka8CPQ43RmmRkL-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

After six hours of play, here's how Valhalla's sidequests are shaping up.

ACV_screen_previews_Cordelia-Boss_202010
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

A settlement, social stealth, and the hidden blade blend effortlessly into a sprawling RPG to create a fresh…

22 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's not a ringing endorsement. 

I think other than being vague and benign it's common sense. It's the start of the generation so of course there will be games in the future that look better on both consoles that look better than Valhalla. But again that doesn't mean it "doesn't look good"

I was going to mention Black Flag (I see he already mentioned it) a game that looked good but was surpassed graphically later.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think other than being vague and benign it's common sense. It's the start of the generation so of course there will be games in the future that look better on both consoles that look better than Valhalla. But again that doesn't mean it "doesn't look good"

I was going to mention Black Flag (I see he already mentioned it) a game that looked good but was surpassed graphically later.

Of course all that is true... but why the low key snarky comment? Some one says "X game looks good" and someone else replies "Yeah but later games will look better" it's like no shit. Of COURSE later games will look better. We're talking about THIS game.

37 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Of course all that is true... but why the low key snarky comment? Some one says "X game looks good" and someone else replies "Yeah but later games will look better" it's like no shit. Of COURSE later games will look better. We're talking about THIS game.

Hey man, Crispy gets into it with all sorts of people. Don’t kink shame :shameonyou:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

When did I say later games?  All sorts of strawmen in here today.

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

When did I say later games?  All sorts of strawmen in here today.

When someone says "There's going to be..." it implies to me that they are speaking in future tense meaning something that hasn't happened yet a.k.a. "Later". Am i wrong in assuiming that's what you meant when you said this:

there's going to be 4k60fps games on both Series X and PS5 that look much better than it.

Either way, it doesn't matter whether you meant later games or not... it was still a douchy and unnecessary comment.

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

When someone says "There's going to be..." it implies to me that they are speaking in future tense meaning something that hasn't happened yet a.k.a. "Later". Am i wrong in assuiming that's what you meant when you said this:

These consoles haven't launched yet.  Future tense.

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Either way, it doesn't matter whether you meant later games or not... it was still a douchy and unnecessary comment.

It was in response to others joking people would write it off for being a cross-gen game at 4K60.  Well, there's cross-gen games that do more with the hardware at 4k60.

AC's excuse is being a massive open world game that for whatever reason, didn't have time for WD3's raytracing tech (etc).  I'm okay with waiting for the ground-up next gen AC to blow us away, at whatever performance/resolution it targets.  Valhalla never needed to be a next-gen showpiece.

Let's just not pretend other games aren't doing more in the meanwhile.  The smaller scale stuff is more nimble to adapt and wow us early on.  (most recently, NBA2K21)

18 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

These consoles haven't launched yet.  Future tense.

It was in response to others joking people would write it off for being a cross-gen game at 4K60.  Well, there's cross-gen games that do more with the hardware at 4k60.

AC's excuse is being a massive open world game that for whatever reason, didn't have time for WD3's raytracing tech (etc).  I'm okay with waiting for the ground-up next gen AC to blow us away, at whatever performance/resolution it targets.  Valhalla never needed to be a next-gen showpiece.

Let's just not pretend other games aren't doing more in the meanwhile.  The smaller scale stuff is more nimble to adapt and wow us early on.  (most recently, NBA2K21)

Have we seen anything about WD:L's Ray Tracing usage on console -- or ANYTHING shown on console?  Recommended specs for PC, without  ray tracing, is a 2080Ti @4k.

47 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Have we seen anything about WD:L's Ray Tracing usage on console -- or ANYTHING shown on console?  Recommended specs for PC, without  ray tracing, is a 2080Ti @4k.

There's a brief snippet from the Xbox Series S reveal.  We haven't seen any PS5/Series X footage yet.

No clue if the S has any raytraced reflections, but Ubisoft confirmed that the Series X version will have them.  Who knows what that looks like.