Jump to content

Cobra Kai is moving to Netflix - Season 3 release: 8 Jan 2021


Recommended Posts

https://ew.com/tv/cobra-kai-netflix-season-3/

 

Also, it seems that Season 3 finished filming in 2019 and should be coming "soon" (no official release date yet, though).

Quote

Cobra Kai — the TV-series sequel to the Karate Kid saga, which premiered on YouTube in 2018 — is moving to Netflix later this year. The announcement comes less than a month after news broke that YouTube had released the series back to Sony Pictures Television, which produces the half-hour dramedy.

YouTube has been pulling back on its scripted programming lineup since last year, after launching a slate of originals in 2018. Cobra Kai, which follows the renewed rivalry between Karate Kid enemies Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio) and Johnny Lawrence (William Zabka) in modern-day Encino, Calif., generated a large fan following and received two Emmy nominations for stunt coordination.

 

Also, looks like Sony may want to "expand" the universe and create multiple shows.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the first two episodes of season 1 that you could watch for free, but not enough to pay for a sub when all their other content looked like trash. I’m also too lazy to pirate. This is good news!

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's further news that Netflix is also looking to further the franchise out somehow with other/more stories... Just as long as they stay away from making that horrible Swanson movie into a full on series, I'm all good with whatever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I liked the first two episodes of season 1 that you could watch for free, but not enough to pay for a sub when all their other content looked like trash. I’m also too lazy to pirate. This is good news!


The show is fantastic, you’re in for a treat.

I did the free month of paid YouTube to watch S1 and got too spoiled by no ads to cancel :p 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Good. This show was the ONLY thing making me want you tube sub.

 

I believe if you have youtube tv you can also watch the shows.

 

(Sounds like you don't)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved S1, was at C2E2 ahead of season 2 where Ralph & William were present talking about the show. I never did watch the second season however because, yeah not going to subscribe to that service. I recall Youtube stating down the road the eps would be released for free however that never happened that I saw. I think moving to Netflix is a great move and will most assuredly get even more eyes on the show. Not only does it hit the nostalgia factor for those who grew up watching the original trilogy of films, but the beats of the youth in this new show seemingly hit so many demographics. Awesome news to hear for sure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just binged the show, and man I really did not expect this show to go where it did in that season 2 finale. I enjoyed almost every character, except

 

Spoiler

#FuckRobby

 

For the majority of his screen time I always found his character to be bland and shitty.  Then they turn him into an idiot in that finale. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2020 at 6:20 PM, sblfilms said:

I liked the first two episodes of season 1 that you could watch for free, but not enough to pay for a sub when all their other content looked like trash. I’m also too lazy to pirate. This is good news!

I have YouTube Red.  It's a pretty fantastic deal when you consider it also includes Google Play Music (Soon to be YouTube Music).  Having Google for all my music and an ad free experience on YouTube is a hell of a deal for me for $9.99 a month. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, vaxick said:

I have YouTube Red.  It's a pretty fantastic deal when you consider it also includes Google Play Music (Soon to be YouTube Music).  Having Google for all my music and an ad free experience on YouTube is a hell of a deal for me for $9.99 a month. 


What? How is it only $9.99 for you? YouTube Red/Premium is $16/month, even if I just downgraded to Music it’s still $13/month

 

EDIT: I guess the cost went up to $12, and apparently if you join on iOS you get charged an extra $4/month because Apple :|

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:


What? How is it only $9.99 for you? YouTube Red/Premium is $16/month, even if I just downgraded to Music it’s still $13/month

 

EDIT: I guess the cost went up to $12, and apparently if you join on iOS you get charged an extra $4/month because Apple :|

You should see if you can find an alternative means to sign up as once you sign up, you should be locked in at that price.  Had no idea Google charged extra if you did it through an iPhone.  I had an iPhone for a year, but my sub never went up in price as I had signed up on an Android phone prior.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, vaxick said:

You should see if you can find an alternative means to sign up as once you sign up, you should be locked in at that price.  Had no idea Google charged extra if you did it through an iPhone.  I had an iPhone for a year, but my sub never went up in price as I had signed up on an Android phone prior.  


Yea, I cancelled on my iPhone and rejoined on my PC, I also used my fiancé’s college info and now it’s $7/month

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

S1 & S2 are both up on Netflix @sblfilms

S3 seems to be “delayed” to 2021 for whatever reason (I’m using the term delayed loosely because it never had an official release date, and the “for whatever reason” is ignoring the pandemic since S3 finished filming at some point in 2019).

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

It’s been years since I’ve seen the movies. Do I need to rewatch all three before getting into the series or just the first one?

 

Honestly I am not sure you really need to rewatch any of them, though there are references from all of them sprinkled throughout. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

It’s been years since I’ve seen the movies. Do I need to rewatch all three before getting into the series or just the first one?

 

 

From what I have heard it callbacks exclusively to the first movie. I don't think you really need to rewatch it to "get" the new series, but it would probably increase your appreciation for the nostalgia. So as long as your going to spend the time watching the series might as well spend a little extra time watching the movie.

 

I think I'll watch the second movie, as well. I don't know if this is a super unpopular opinion, but I actually like the second one more than the first.

 

Third one is garbage. I wouldn't bother.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

 

 

From what I have heard it callbacks exclusively to the first movie. I don't think you really need to rewatch it to "get" the new series, but it would probably increase your appreciation for the nostalgia. So as long as your going to spend the time watching the series might as well spend a little extra time watching the movie.

 

I think I'll watch the second movie, as well. I don't know if this is a super unpopular opinion, but I actually like the second one more than the first.

 

Third one is garbage. I wouldn't bother.


I heard it does a good job of brining newcomers up to speed but it does seem like I’d have more of an emotional connection if I at least watch the first movie beforehand. I haven’t seen it since  I was maybe 6 or 7, so I basically have no memory of what happened.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:


I heard it does a good job of brining newcomers up to speed but it does seem like I’d have more of an emotional connection if I at least watch the first movie beforehand. I haven’t seen it since  I was maybe 6 or 7, so I basically have no memory of what happened.

Daniel gets beat up dressed as a shower. He is then awkwardly trained by the guy from Happy Days. He enters a tournament where Johnny sweeps the leg. Daniel then uses a gimmicky move to defeat Johnny. After he wins he gets the girl, and then loses her off screen before the 2nd movie. That's my recollection anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Iculus said:

Daniel gets beat up dressed as a shower. He is then awkwardly trained by the guy from Happy Days. He enters a tournament where Johnny sweeps the leg. Daniel then uses a gimmicky move to defeat Johnny. After he wins he gets the girl, and then loses her off screen before the 2nd movie. That's my recollection anyway. 

 

You missed "wax on, wax off", which is like recapping Independence Day without mentioning aliens:nottalking:

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sexy_shapiro said:

It’s been years since I’ve seen the movies. Do I need to rewatch all three before getting into the series or just the first one?


I recommend rewatching the first movie and the first 10-15 minutes of the second.

 

48 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

 

 

From what I have heard it callbacks exclusively to the first movie. I don't think you really need to rewatch it to "get" the new series, but it would probably increase your appreciation for the nostalgia. So as long as your going to spend the time watching the series might as well spend a little extra time watching the movie.

 

I think I'll watch the second movie, as well. I don't know if this is a super unpopular opinion, but I actually like the second one more than the first.

 

Third one is garbage. I wouldn't bother.

 

It heavily references 1-3, with the second movie’s opening being integral for S2. You could definitely skip 3 and just read a summary or something, though. Thankfully, the fourth movie is completely ignored :p 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Also, I swear this show was made specifically for Barney Stinson :p 

If you get the reference, you get the reference 

 

 

Haven't the showrunners basically said the show probably wouldn't have happened if not for the long running joke on HIMYM?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chairslinger said:

 

 

Haven't the showrunners basically said the show probably wouldn't have happened if not for the long running joke on HIMYM?

 

 


No idea 🤷‍♂️ 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say you definitely need to watch the first movie to really get a lot of the subtleties for this show. There's a great show moment where Johnny is recalling his feud with Daniel and explaining how it all started from his point of view. If you only kinda remember the movie, his explanation loses its impact when you can't remember exactly what he's talking about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

 

 

From what I have heard it callbacks exclusively to the first movie. I don't think you really need to rewatch it to "get" the new series, but it would probably increase your appreciation for the nostalgia. So as long as your going to spend the time watching the series might as well spend a little extra time watching the movie.

 

I think I'll watch the second movie, as well. I don't know if this is a super unpopular opinion, but I actually like the second one more than the first.

 

Third one is garbage. I wouldn't bother.

They definitely referenced all 3 movies. They had the drum from 2 and talked about the Bonsai Tree shop from 3. Johnny I think was even asked if he knew Terry Silver. I actually liked Terry Silver as the bad guy in 3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • GeneticBlueprint changed the title to Cobra Kai is moving to Netflix - Season 3 release: 8 Jan 2021

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...