Switch or Switch Lite?

gamer.tv

Switch or Switch Lite?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which would be the best to purchase?

• Switch
    • Switch Lite

I will be brief, which should I go for? I will most likely use it for handheld gaming whilst my wife watches something that doesn't interest me or is using the PS4 (Sims 4, Two Point Hospital) and I loved having a 3DS for that reason. I'm just unsure whether I'll miss out on some of the Switch experiences that are better on a larger television (Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild 2 mainly) or for those with a Switch Lite, does it hold up well enough for those more traditional, home console games that this isn't really a consideration I should worry about. 

I feel that if I don't buy one now (well, in the next two months or so) I won't ever, with starting a new job, having a baby etc and the money commitments that will take. 

Non-detachable joy-cons, no stand (as little use as it might get and as flimsy as it is) and no way to hook it up to a TV all make the regular Switch a better person. The Lite also isn't small enough to just fit in your pocket unless you've got giant ass early 2000s cargo shorts, so it doesn't even have that advantage.

I have zero experience with the Lite but I think if you gonna use it quite a bit, I'd just get the docked version simply because you have options. The controllers can be replaced, you can play it on a TV even if this would be rare, there will be some times you might. There not that big of a difference in cost, so I'd just go with the non lite version!

Unless you think you'd literally never ever want to play on the TV, get the regular Switch.

I know that Nintendo has done stuff like this before, e.g. the 2DS, but it still strikes me as weird to have a version of the Switch that removes the selling point of the Switch that it was literally fucking named for (being able to play the same games both on a TV at home and on the go).

It depends how you plan to play your switch. 100% in handheld mode? Then lite else get a regular switch. I never docked mine so when I switched to a lite it was perfect for me and my playing of switch games actually went up as well (since I found it more comfortable for long stretches).

19 minutes ago, chakoo said:

It depends how you plan to play your switch. 100% in handheld mode? Then lite else get a regular switch. I never docked mine so when I switched to a lite it was perfect for me and my playing of switch games actually went up as well (since I found it more comfortable for long stretches).

Are the ergonomics of the Lite really that noticeably different/better?

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Are the ergonomics of the Lite really that noticeably different/better?

Absolutely not in my experience. Smaller and lighter, but not hugely so. Guess it depends on how long you play for at once and how you told the Switch, though.