Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SaysWho?

General Gaming NPD April 2020: April, FF7 Remake, and Switch shatter records

Recommended Posts

 

 

 

Top 20:

 

  1. Final Fantasy VII: Remake
  2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons*
  4. NBA 2K20
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. Resident Evil 3
  7. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: Remastered
  8. MLB: The Show 20
  9. Madden NFL 20 [EA Sports]
  10. Red Dead Redemption II
  11. Just Dance 2020
  12. FIFA 20 [EA Sports]
  13. Mortal Kombat 11
  14. Borderlands 3
  15. Predator: Hunting Grounds
  16. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe*
  17. Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order
  18. Persona 5: Royal
  19. Need for Speed: Heat
  20. Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot

 

  • Nintendo Switch was the best-selling hardware platform of Apil in both unit and dollar sales.  Dollar sales of PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Switch each increased by more than 160 percent when compared to April 2019.
  • Hardware spending in April 2020 grew 163% when compared to a year ago, to $420m. This is the highest total for an April month since the $427m total achieved in April 2008.  Year-to-date spending reached $1.2B, a 30% increase when compared to a year ago.
  • Dollar sales of tracked Video Game Software increased 55 percent in April compared to a year ago, to $662 million.  This is a new record high for an April month. The previous record of $642 million was set in April 2008.
  • Final Fantasy VII: Remake was the best-selling game of April and instantly becomes the #3 best-selling game year-to-date.  Final Fantasy VII: Remake is currently the best-selling game of 2020 on PlayStation 4.

 

EYn7B-4U8AEZGM4?format=jpg&name=900x900

 

EYn7LUGUMAMnWwv?format=jpg&name=900x900

 

EYn7Ne4UYAA9O2D?format=jpg&name=900x900

 

EYn7PijUMAAG5Iw?format=jpg&name=900x900

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess I'm not getting a Switch anytime soon. Last time I went to Walmart and just checked to see if they might have any they were out of PS4s and X1's too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

 

* on PC on its first price cut / sale

Have they given an indication on the PC release? I honestly forgot that was probably a thing. Though I irrationally want to play it on my PS4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Have they given an indication on the PC release? I honestly forgot that was probably a thing. Though I irrationally want to play it on my PS4.

 

They said it was a one year exclusive on PS4. It will come to PC. Doesn't it say that in this very thread? :p

 

Edit: I mean in the FFR thread. :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

 

They said it was a one year exclusive on PS4. It will come to PC. Doesn't it say that in this very thread? :p

 

Edit: I mean in the FFR thread. :p

Oh I just meant have they given a release date lol. I assumed it was a sure thing I just don’t know if I wanna wait too long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Oh I just meant have they given a release date lol. I assumed it was a sure thing I just don’t know if I wanna wait too long. 

 

It plays and looks great on the PS4. Enjoy. :p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

 

It plays and looks great on the PS4. Enjoy. :p 

As long as you like your pseudo-action games at 30 FPS and your "looking great" to be covered in asterisks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still on the fence about FF VII. It does actually look good, but I've got so many RPGs to play that I already own, it's hard for me to justify this one. I'm sure it'll go down to $20 soon enough and I'll pick it up and feel less guilty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

As long as you like your pseudo-action games at 30 FPS and your "looking great" to be covered in asterisks!

 

70 hours later, I can't really agree with any of this. You do you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

 

70 hours later, I can't really agree with any of this. You do you.

I mean you can disagree with "textures take forever to load in, hair has weird screen-door patterns and skyboxes, including skyboxes that the characters specifically draw attention to, look like early 2000s jpegs" but uhh, well, you can't really disagree with facts, now can you? Unless all that "looks great." Game is all over the place visually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I mean you can disagree with "textures take forever to load in, hair has weird screen-door patterns and skyboxes, including skyboxes that the characters specifically draw attention to, look like early 2000s jpegs" but uhh, well, you can't really disagree with facts, now can you? Unless all that "looks great." Game is all over the place visually.

 

If only I'd have noticed any of that.

 

You do you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While a large majority of the game does look visually impressive. Xbob isn't wrong here. The most prominent are Cloud's apartment door looks completely unrendered and the horrible skybox they specifically have you look at while grappling up the wall. With many other small instances here and there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

 

If only I'd have noticed any of that.

 

You do you. 

 

Max noticed it a lot. It's really hard NOT to notice.

 

Heck there are some sections in the slums, I dunno when you're around those kids (I don't know what chapter) and the texture on the wall just doesn't load at all or just looks like low res butt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m half concerned that the skyboxes wouldn’t look any better on PC and would just stand out worse in 4K. :o

 

It’s a solid looking game on PS4 Pro.  30fps 1440p but without frame pacing issues as DF noted.  That’s more important to me than the occasional blemishes.  It’s impressive that it doesn’t drop frames in most battle sequences.  Okay, maybe fat chocobo does it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

It’s a solid looking game on PS4 Pro.  30fps 1440p but without frame pacing issues as DF noted.

 

It's locked at 30 but imagine if it wasn't! The dream of the PC version!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

 

It's locked at 30 but imagine if it wasn't! The dream of the PC version!


You don’t have to tell me that.  


But it’s good that FF7R runs so consistent nevertheless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I’m half concerned that the skyboxes wouldn’t look any better on PC and would just stand out worse in 4K. :o

 

It’s a solid looking game on PS4 Pro.  30fps 1440p but without frame pacing issues as DF noted.  That’s more important to me than the occasional blemishes.  It’s impressive that it doesn’t drop frames in most battle sequences.  Okay, maybe fat chocobo does it.

 

Bingo. The little stuff doesn't matter. Game ran well and played well and was realllly pretty. Stuff like skyboxes, I just don't care and barely know how to identify them, nor do I care to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is that I never had one problem during the stuff that actually mattered in the game. There’s pop-in sometimes walking around sector 6 and stuff but I never had any graphical limitations ruin the gameplay. Cut scenes were always nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Stuff like skyboxes, I just don't care and barely know how to identify them, nor do I care to.


Maybe look up INTO THE SKY!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the slum-level sky boxes worked out okay.  The times where you looked down from the upper plates, or on the way to Shinra were... yikes.

 

I don’t think it could be helped by better resolution.  Heck it might even blend better on a 1080p set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...