Microsoft Faces Lawsuit Over Drift Issues

SimpleG

I have a dual shock 4 brand new that drifts vertically. I sent it back for a new one and the new one does the same damn thing. 

Pisses me off and I honestly don’t trust buying a new PS4 controller anymore. Probably irrational because when I search for the issue it does not seem to be common in the slightest. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

I have a dual shock 4 brand new that drifts vertically. I sent it back for a new one and the new one does the same damn thing. 

Pisses me off and I honestly don’t trust buying a new PS4 controller anymore. Probably irrational because when I search for the issue it does not seem to be common in the slightest. 

I've had 2 DS4's develop a drift problem.  Both on the left stick.  Probably because I play a lot of first person shooters and i'm just constantly holding the stick and clicking it in to run/sprint.  I wasn't able to repair them,  i bought the parts but they still weren't right.  I was able to repair my Switch controller no problem though.

10 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I've had 2 DS4's develop a drift problem.  Both on the left stick.  Probably because I play a lot of first person shooters and i'm just constantly holding the stick and clicking it in to run/sprint.  I wasn't able to repair them,  i bought the parts but they still weren't right.  I was able to repair my Switch controller no problem though.

That’s the frustrating thing to me. It’s brand spanking new. I would be a little more forgiving if it were heavily used.  And two in a row. 

I actually do have drift on my Xbox Elite controller, but it's veeeery slight and only even registers on one or two games. I've barely used my Elite controller. The ironic thing is, I think it's due to the stiffness of the analog stick, and if I used it more, it would probably go away. By stiffness, I mean the controller doesn't actually "drift," it just doesn't go all the way back to the "neutral" dead zone position. I have to actually nudge it back with my thumb, in which case the drift stops.

I've actually started using my elite controller more in order to see if my theory holds up. I've never had a drifting problem with any of my other Xbox controllers, on XBO or 360. If the problem was widespread in all Xbox first party controllers, there would be considerable backlash as there are tens of millions of those things out there.

They're comparing it to the Switch controllers, which in my opinion doesn't really have a 1:1 comparison. With Xbox, if you don't like the controller, you have the option to go with third party controllers. With Nintendo you're pretty much stuck with their shitty joycons if you want to play handheld (and with their Switch lite, you don't have a choice period.)

I have several Xbox controllers. Not a single one, not even this yellowed fucking 360 pad from someone else that we somehow got that was clearly used like crazy, has anything nearing a "drifting problem."

I have one Dual Shock 4, it drifts occasionally and is quite annoying.

My original joy-cons on my Switch drift like nothing I've ever seen, they can make Animal Crossing unplayably annoying. I bought a second pair just a few months ago, the "updated" ones, they drift exactly the same. My daughter has a Switch Lite where you can't swap out the joy-cons, IT DRIFTS EXACTLY THE FUCKING SAME. It'll just move in a direction and you have to smack the thumb stick around for a while to get it to stop and even then it won't accept some inputs like down-right at full speed, if I push that direction on her Switch Lite her character will walk instead of run.

Every single set of joy-cons I've owned has been a big stinky pile of shit, and I know it's bad because my wife, who is not an avid gamer, and my daughter, who is 6, both notice it and hate it with a passion because it ruins their fun when doing things like paving roads, putting down fences, catching bugs, basically anything in Animal Crossing. I would happily join a class action against Nintendo because this is fucking terrible. By far the worst controllers I've ever owned in more ways than one. The Pro Switch pad has yet to give me a single issue and my wife has taken to not using the Switch in portable mode because then she can comfortably use the Pro pad.

And yes, I've cleaned out underneath the thumbs tick's little weird rubber hood thing with a Q-Tip and alcohol and then contact cleaner once I could get some. It seems to help for maybe half a day and then the problem persists. I can't imagine it's just debris, because the new joy-cons I got drifted right out of the fucking box.

Meanwhile my literal drawer full of Xbox One controllers (don't ask) all work flawlessly, with, ironically, the only one not working so hot being the Elite pad I got because the rubber grips came off after extended use which made it uncomfortable to hold.

The drifting on switch controllers is totally unacceptable. The only problem with Microsoft controllers I've encountered is that my old wired 360 controller lasted so fucking long that I couldn't justify getting an Xbox One controller for the sweet trigger feedback in Forza. 

5 hours ago, Moa said:

The drifting on switch controllers is totally unacceptable. The only problem with Microsoft controllers I've encountered is that my old wired 360 controller lasted so fucking long that I couldn't justify getting an Xbox One controller for the sweet trigger feedback in Forza. 

LOL I still have my 360 launch controller. The thumbsticks on them are so worn that they're not even round anymore, they have a weird, oblong, melted looking shape. I call it my Dali controller. I can't say it works flawlessly, but the damn thing is 15 years old and has been beaten to hell and back, and it's still totally useable. I keep it as a standby.