~*Official Canada Thread of Good Governance and Unnecessary Apologizing*~

Bill Morneau was Trudeau's Finance Minister from 2015-2020.

Bill-Morneau-flashback-1.jpg
OTTAWACITIZEN.COM

The ex-finance minister gave a series of critiques of his former government’s economic policies in his first public speech since leaving office in 2020

“When I look at politics in Canada today — from the perspective of a former insider — I have to confess that I’m much more worried about our economic prospects today, in 2022, than I was seven years ago,” he said, referring to when Justin Trudeau was first elected prime minister and he became finance minister.

“And it bears repeated: We’re facing even stronger headwinds in the coming decades.”

Morneau said that his biggest concern all his career, including when he entered into politics with the Liberals in 2015, has been the “pace of economic growth in this country.”

The businessman and former chairman of human resources giant Morneau Shepell (now called LifeWorks) said the federal government isn’t preoccupied enough with the country’s lack of competitiveness and productivity growth. He said they are “fundamental problem” facing Canada’s economy, which is living “off our past success.”

So much time and energy was spent on finding ways to redistribute Canada’s wealth that there was little attention given to the importance of increasing our collective prosperity — let alone developing a disciplined way of thinking and acting on the problem,” Morneau told the audience.

“Though there have been nods to it from time to time, there is no real sense of urgency in Ottawa about our lack of competitiveness. It’s like we’re the proverbial frog in the pot, not realizing what happens to us as the heat gradually rises,” he added.

To illustrate his point, the former minister said that Canada’s real GDP rose only 1.3 per cent on average between 1982 and 2019, an issue he said is “directly” linked to downward productivity growth.

“Between 2000 and 2019, Canada placed 25th out of 36 OECD countries when it came to productivity growth,” he said.

“Let me put it another way. If we had maintained our rate of productivity growth from 2000 on, the average annual income for a Canadian worker would have been about $13,500 higher in 2019.”

Well 338Canada won in the end. My riding stayed ONDP. Pretty bad night for all but OPC die hards. 

- Lowest turnout (under 50%)

- ONDP lost seats

- OLP gain only 1 seat (so far, not looking to gain anything else)

- OLP leader didn't get his seat back.

ONDP & OLP better sharpen their knives to replace their leaders.

-edit-

The only interesting thing for the night was Kristyn Wong-Tam won her seat and upgraded from city politics to provincial.

Man the final counts are bad. It looks like turnout was only 42% and based on vote counts less than half voted for PC and of the remaining it was split between ONDP & OLP. Yet in the end OPC gain seats, ONDP lost just a few seats (some going to OPC) and OLP gained about 1. Talk about voter apathy.

Hopefully some new blood will be able to rebuild the ONDP & OLP parties.

NDP -- 23.7% of popular vote is probably the pinnacle of where they can be.  The only times they have been higher than this is 2015 and 1990.  It's significantly better than their share of the popular vote in the 2021 Federal election.

Liberal -- Complete disaster of an election.  Del Duca didn't even win his own seat.  They need to figure out what they are.

Progressive Conservatives -- 41% of the vote is the highest since McGuinty's second election in 2007 (at 42%), and the first time an encumbant party has had their popular vote% go up since Mike Harris in '99. Reflective of how well he handled the pandemic.

A right-of-centre party now forms the government in all provinces except BC and Newfoundland.

Disband the fucking RCMP.

A man drove through a march for survivors of Indigenous residential schools, hitting four people. The RCMP put out a statement almost immediately saying that he was "impatient," and had tried going "around" the marchers. This, despite the fact that the man drove through the crowd and then did not stop. People got his license plate number and gave it to the police, but they took no immediate action to find and arrest him. 

Of course, it turns out now that the man was yelling racial slurs at the Indigenous marchers and appears to have drove straight through them on purpose.

The RCMP said at first: Police also said the incident did not appear to be targeted, and did not have "anything specifically to do with the people marching or their cause." (source: Victim of hit-and-run at residential school march says incident underscores need for awareness | CBC News)

This despite not having even found the man at the time.

So the RCMP didn't do their jobs, told everyone to calm down since the old white guy who plowed through Indigenous marchers was probably just impatient, and didn't go find him despite having his info until much later. But he was a racist who did it on purpose, it seems:

• Guillotine 2

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Apparently the convoy people are planning to come back to Ottawa for July 1 and are vowing not to leave until Justine Trudeau is removed from office (their actual goals are out in the open, now). Hopefully it's just the extreme fringe of the group that shows up.

I saw that on the news a few days ago as well. I hope they can just block the trucks from the downtown core. Should be a little easier with the holiday and mostly foot traffic. I’m just fucking tired of these shitheads whining about their “free-dumbs” Most mandates are gone now and I have no idea what they are complaining about anymore. It feels like American Politics bleeding over and I just hope we can stop the surge from completely ruining Canadians first full Summer in years. 

Love to see them lose their shirts with how much fucking gas costs and with what their trucks burn through. Probably will need a government handout to keep them afloat after their protest.

FUCK THIS WORLD RIGHT NOW!!!

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone not following, Doug Ford announced his new cabinet and named his 28-year-old nephew as Minister of Multiculturalism:

tory-ford-meeting-6-27.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

Ontario Premier Doug Ford defended his decision Monday to name his nephew minister of citizenship and  multiculturalism, saying the newly elected legislator has spent years representing one of the most diverse communities in the province.

ford-cabinet.jpg

• Guillotine 1

Another scandal in a Conservative leadership race. As of last night, Patrick Brown has been disqualified. He was polling in third, and signed up 150,000 new members to the party (out of 675,000 total). He and Jean Charest represent the moderate wing of the party (compared to Pierre Poilievre, the favourite, who represents the MAGA wing). What made Brown unique was that he is incredibly popular in the south Asian community in Ontario, and many/most of the new members he signed up were likely from that community. The accusations against him are that he violated Elections Canada campaign finance laws re: private company covering some of his staffing costs. Interestingly, though, the vote to disqualify him was not unanimous, it was 16-6. This implies it wasn't clear-cut.

So now there are accusations that the Poilievre camp is attempting to oust him so they can coast to a first-round win. Many have been predicting that this leadership race could create an unfixable schism in the party between the moderate and MAGA wing, and this could play a role. More importantly...the Conservatives have been failing hard with minorities since Harper's second win (before his government's xenophobic turn). Brown represented the wing of the party that was quite welcoming to minorities (and in reality, many immigrants from south/east Asia fit into a conservative ideology). But the party's rural/western racist base prevents those minorities from finding a home, and this allows the Liberals/NDP to court them.

Things are going to get ugly in the CPC before they get better.

Also, to be clear, I don't doubt that it's possible that Brown actually did something wrong, he has a history of rule-breaking in these types of things.

Yeah this fuckery smells funny. Sure Brown was my dark horse win in the end even though he was polling 3rd but this seems odd. Looking more likely that PP will win and the party will burn for it (lets not forget he dropped out of the previous race because questionable shit came to light).

56 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Yeah this fuckery smells funny. Sure Brown was my dark horse win in the end even though he was polling 3rd but this seems odd. Looking more likely that PP will win and the party will burn for it (lets not forget he dropped out of the previous race because questionable shit came to light).

Only thing really helping PP is Trudeau fatigue and inflation (which PP is trying to tie to Trudeau as "Justinflation"). But if inflation gets under control before 2025 or Trudeau steps down...who knows.

Yeah I saw the Patrick Brown thing this morning as well. They are going to alienate a lot of people and Brown I think would of been the candidate to take away some of the foreign/ethnic voters. Brampton is pretty diverse in its population but I would say that it has a pretty huge Pakistani/Indian/Asian population. So the party seems like they wanna alienate them and just reach out to their far far far right “coup willing” crowd instead. Trudeau I think/hope will be smart enough to let the reigns be taken over by someone else before the next election happens, and keep the conservatives out of reach of power for years to come.

Unexpected decrease for Conservatives compared to the last few polls. I wonder how much of this has to do with events in the US (and potentially the expulsion of Patrick Brown from the leadership race, resulting in lower South Asian support):

Leger is the best top-line poller in Canada, so I trust these numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

Polls in Canada have been all over the place lately. The ones I consider the best (such as Leger) show a continued statistical tie between the Liberals and Conservatives, regardless of if Poilievre or Charest becomes leader of the CPC. Abacus also shows this. However, Mainstreet shows the CPC under Poilievre beating Trudeau 38-29, which would likely mean a CPC majority. However, they use IVR, which has proven less accurate than online polling in the last few years. But it shouldn't be discounted. Now, Angus Reid shows both Poilievre and Charest beating Trudeau (but only getting 34% of the vote, not enough for a majority, and maybe not even a minority), but the breakdown of how they do it is very interesting.

NjYRkHp.png

Effectively (and Mainstreet also shows this), Poilievre brings in the PPC to the CPC (because he's a piece of shit MAGA/crypto moron) but scares away moderates. Charest scares away the crazies, but brings in moderates. The result is that Charest likely has a better path to victory as the regionals show the CPC beating the Liberals in Ontario, whereas Poilievre's increases mostly come in western Canada, which doesn't get him any more seats.

tl;dr: a lot can change before a likely election in 2025, but if Poilievre will move the party into the crazy-right and maybe lose to Trudeau in seat count (even while winning popular vote), while Charest would likely win an election because he would steal Liberal moderate voters as the CPC under him would very much be the old Progressive Conservatives, and moderates are okay with that.

So...what happens if either wins leadership? At this point it's almost guaranteed that Poilievre wins, so do the moderates leave the party, finally? Where do they go? Start their own Progressive Conservative Party again? Join the Liberals?

On 7/25/2022 at 11:10 AM, CitizenVectron said:

Polls in Canada have been all over the place lately. The ones I consider the best (such as Leger) show a continued statistical tie between the Liberals and Conservatives, regardless of if Poilievre or Charest becomes leader of the CPC. Abacus also shows this. However, Mainstreet shows the CPC under Poilievre beating Trudeau 38-29, which would likely mean a CPC majority. However, they use IVR, which has proven less accurate than online polling in the last few years. But it shouldn't be discounted. Now, Angus Reid shows both Poilievre and Charest beating Trudeau (but only getting 34% of the vote, not enough for a majority, and maybe not even a minority), but the breakdown of how they do it is very interesting.

NjYRkHp.png

Effectively (and Mainstreet also shows this), Poilievre brings in the PPC to the CPC (because he's a piece of shit MAGA/crypto moron) but scares away moderates. Charest scares away the crazies, but brings in moderates. The result is that Charest likely has a better path to victory as the regionals show the CPC beating the Liberals in Ontario, whereas Poilievre's increases mostly come in western Canada, which doesn't get him any more seats.

tl;dr: a lot can change before a likely election in 2025, but if Poilievre will move the party into the crazy-right and maybe lose to Trudeau in seat count (even while winning popular vote), while Charest would likely win an election because he would steal Liberal moderate voters as the CPC under him would very much be the old Progressive Conservatives, and moderates are okay with that.

So...what happens if either wins leadership? At this point it's almost guaranteed that Poilievre wins, so do the moderates leave the party, finally? Where do they go? Start their own Progressive Conservative Party again? Join the Liberals?

IMHO, moderates generally dislike Trudeau as much as Poilievre.  If they want to form a new party, it will have to be with someone other than Charest.  He can't win in Quebec.