~*Official Canada Thread of Good Governance and Unnecessary Apologizing*~

I love it when people say shit like this. Especially when actual rights are being taken away from people south of us everyday now it seems. My cousin is sorta in the above article category but she knows deep down, it ain’t that bad when you start looking elsewhere. 

capitol-riot-images-of-the-day.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

Canada’s intelligence community will need to grapple with the growing influence of anti-democratic forces in the United States — including the threat posed by conservative media outlets like Fox News — says a new report from a task force of intelligence experts.

• True 2

19 minutes ago, Jason said:
capitol-riot-images-of-the-day.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

Canada’s intelligence community will need to grapple with the growing influence of anti-democratic forces in the United States — including the threat posed by conservative media outlets like Fox News — says a new report from a task force of intelligence experts.

That sounds good, until Conservative Prime Minister Poilievre (who is courting the MAGA conspiracy crowd) in 2025 decides to full embrace bro friendship with Trump and Canada starts down the same path.

This open embrace of racism in the anti-Trudeau conservative coalition is only going to get worse with PP as CPC leader. He has fully embraced the MAGA/convoy crowd.

Also, when "protestors" are hurling racial slurs at attendees of a dinner, they aren't protestors, they are racists.

LDCFO7LXY5MMBB2N6VLTIGUGEU.JPG
WWW.THEGLOBEANDMAIL.COM

Two speakers at the event Trudeau was set to attend said protesters hurled racial slurs at the mostly South Asian attendees entering a convention centre in Surrey, B.C.

Same thing happened to Singh last month in Ontario, where he was directly accosted as a traitor by the conservative racists:

Earlier this month, police began investigating after a video circulated on social media showed people hurling verbal abuse at NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh during a protest in Peterborough, Ont.

Singh later told reporters he found the experience “intense, threatening (and) insulting”' but that he is more worried about what it means for politics in general.

• Guillotine 1

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

2)  They are members of the Conservative Party (as opposed, to say supporters of the PPC)

conservative-leadership-20200207.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

The Conservative Party told leadership campaigns last night that a party member who sent the Patrick Brown campaign a racist email has resigned his membership, ending that party's investigation into the email.

2 minutes ago, chakoo said:

conservative-leadership-20200207.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

The Conservative Party told leadership campaigns last night that a party member who sent the Patrick Brown campaign a racist email has resigned his membership, ending that party's investigation into the email.

AAOtR26.img?h=315&w=600&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=f
WWW.MSN.COM

ESSEX, ONT. — Jagmeet Singh says antisemitic comments by two of his party's candidates who resigned were "completely wrong" as the NDP leader made a push to win sought-after Ontario ridings. "Antisemitism is real," Singh said during a campaign stop in Essex, Ont. "We're seeing a scary rise in antisemitism, and we are unequivocally opposed, and we'll confront it." The party confirmed Wednesday that Dan Osborne...

46 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
AAOtR26.img?h=315&w=600&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=f
WWW.MSN.COM

ESSEX, ONT. — Jagmeet Singh says antisemitic comments by two of his party's candidates who resigned were "completely wrong" as the NDP leader made a push to win sought-after Ontario ridings. "Antisemitism is real," Singh said during a campaign stop in Essex, Ont. "We're seeing a scary rise in antisemitism, and we are unequivocally opposed, and we'll confront it." The party confirmed Wednesday that Dan Osborne...

You asked why someone would think a racist person is a CPC member/supporter, so I post an article to a very recent incident. So your response is to grasp at straws and post something from 2021 that isn't related to the question? Like come the fuck on.

11 minutes ago, chakoo said:

You asked why someone would think a racist person is a CPC member/supporter, so I post an article to a very recent incident. So your response is to grasp at straws and post something from 2021 that isn't related to the question? Like come the fuck on.

I asked why those specific people were racist and members of the CPC.

There are racists across the political spectrum.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

That's why I used small-c conservative!

I think it's safe to say they are populists.  Not sure if they are conservative.

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean:

All the leaders are unpopular. It's just that conservatives are willing to hold their nose and vote blue no matter what.

That's literally what the data suggests Liberal voters are intending to do in Ontario.  Only ~50% of people intending on voting Liberal think that Del Duca would make the best Premier. 

On a tangent:

What the Literal Fuck where they thinking.

0916-ed-mbarki.jpg
NATIONALPOST.COM

The coverage triggered protests, church arsons and condemnation from Canada’s bad-faith rivals, but last summer’s reporting on the country's long-acknowledged…

Not sure how I feel about this OpEd.  I've got to think about it more.

12 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
0916-ed-mbarki.jpg
NATIONALPOST.COM

The coverage triggered protests, church arsons and condemnation from Canada’s bad-faith rivals, but last summer’s reporting on the country's long-acknowledged…

Not sure how I feel about this OpEd.  I've got to think about it more.

This is not to engage in “residential school denialism,” or to downplay the suffering endured by Indigenous people in the 139 mostly church-run and mostly Catholic institutions that were in operation from the 1820s to the 1990s. 

And goes on to downplay everything.

Yeah, obviously many/most of those graves were of kids who weren't molested and killed by priests. But...the death rate in residential schools was very high, and some were the direct result of negligence/abuse. To use a hyperbolic example, you wouldn't go and find unmarked graves in Germany and go "well only 20% of these were killed directly by the Nazis, the rest simply died of lack of good conditions due to the war at the time," and then say people were overblowing the situation.

EDIT - And to be clear, some of the stories definitely were overblown at the time in terms of the grave sites being mostly community graves, etc. But the overall situation was not overblown.

• True 1

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

And goes on to downplay everything.

Yeah, obviously many/most of those graves were of kids who weren't molested and killed by priests. But...the death rate in residential schools was very high, and some were the direct result of negligence/abuse. To use a hyperbolic example, you wouldn't go and find unmarked graves in Germany and go "well only 20% of these were killed directly by the Nazis, the rest simply died of lack of good conditions due to the war at the time," and then say people were overblowing the situation.

There were about 6 million Jews killed by the Nazis, or about 50% of the pre-war population.  I generally think analogies that compare things to the Holocaust typically minimize the horror that was the Holocaust. 

Right, lets try this again in the right topic...

Happy Ontario election day. Look forward to another 4 years of Father Doug. :skull:

ONDP & OLP wasted far too much time going after each other. I'm still confident OLP will outperform ONDP in seats in the end. Hopefully Del Duca does not win his seat and then both parties can push for new leaders because they both need to.

If the election comes out like the polls suggest, it is time for the Ontario Liberal Party to do some soul searching.  They have become disconnected from the electorate in Ontario (in a similar way that the federal Conservatives have).

Having two strong centrist parties is really important for Canadian Democracy.

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If the election comes out like the polls suggest, it is time for the Ontario Liberal Party to do some soul searching.  They have become disconnected from the electorate in Ontario (in a similar way that the federal Conservatives have).

Having two strong centrist parties is really important for Canadian Democracy.

I mean, their main issue (like the Conservatives federally) is that their voters are spread across ridings inefficiently. The Liberals will almost certainly beat the NDP in vote by 2-7%, but will also likely lose in seat count. That's the nature of our multiparty system. However, you are correct that they need to decide which ridings to find support in for the future, not just votes across the province. 

But Ontario is different than Canada for voting preference. Federally, the vast majority of LPC/NDP voters would gladly choose the other party to keep the CPC from winning (polls show this time and again). In Ontario, however, far less Liberals would vote NDP, and far less NDP voters would vote Liberal (some of the former going to PCs, some of the latter going to Greens). This makes it hard for either party to break out.

Is it seriously legal for the Quebec government to just refuse to deal with people in one of Canada's official languages? 

[Quebec’s Bill 96] will make far-reaching reforms to various publicly owned sectors in an effort to affirm French as the province’s official language. The bill will also force immigrants to communicate with the government solely in French six months after they arrive in the province.

• Guillotine 1

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean, their main issue (like the Conservatives federally) is that their voters are spread across ridings inefficiently. The Liberals will almost certainly beat the NDP in vote by 2-7%, but will also likely lose in seat count. That's the nature of our multiparty system. However, you are correct that they need to decide which ridings to find support in for the future, not just votes across the province. 

But Ontario is different than Canada for voting preference. Federally, the vast majority of LPC/NDP voters would gladly choose the other party to keep the CPC from winning (polls show this time and again). In Ontario, however, far less Liberals would vote NDP, and far less NDP voters would vote Liberal (some of the former going to PCs, some of the latter going to Greens). This makes it hard for either party to break out.

Their issue is the polls have them getting ~26% of the vote.

Federal polling did not show a majority of NDP/Liberal supporters having the other party as their #2 choice in the last election.

I know we will find out later tonight/tomorrow but I feel 338Canada is going to end up being off from the end results. I've mention how I've found them off for my riding and I've noticed other models have been agreeing more and more with what I was seeing. 

I love the fact that he hasn’t figured out that we aren’t the only country doing this. Sure if they could pass this, people would still be facing the same fucking issues trying to travel abroad in other countries. 

Oh and I voted today.