~*Official Canada Thread of Good Governance and Unnecessary Apologizing*~

Like I’ve said before for my street, houses are city valued between roughly around $340-430k. With the current housing crisis and Covid pushing people out of the city, we’re now seeing prices hit $900K-1.25M (One house 2 doors over from me sold for $1.1M) We’re in a pretty prime spot, as I’m roughly 45-50 minutes out of downtown Toronto and almost the same to the American boarder at Niagara Falls

hybrid-house-commons-1-5895164-165211781
WWW.CTVNEWS.CA

The Conservatives are alleging 'contempt of the House' after a Liberal MP appeared to be participating in House of Commons proceedings virtually from a washroom stall on Friday.

"I'd like to remind everyone that especially online we have to be very prudent on how we use our devices, and to be aware of the surroundings when you are online," Mendes said to MPs at the time, before House business carried on.

The incident did not occur on the public feed of the House chamber and was only visible to MPs and those who have access to the internal Zoom-like system MPs use for their hybrid proceedings.

Brassard told the House of Commons on Monday that he had spoken with MPs who witnessed the incident who said it appeared Ali entered the men's washroom inside West Block, citing the familiarity of the door hinges and coat hook.

"Based on the angle… I am informed that it appeared that the camera was mounted on the ledge or ridge on the wall just above the back of the toilet. The member of Parliament was literally using the washroom while participating in a sitting of the House of Commons, the cathedral of Canadian democracy. I can't believe I actually just said those words, madame speaker," Brassard said.

Last year, Liberal MP William Amos was caught naked on camera during a house session.

barry_stanley.jpg
WWW.THESTAR.COM

The Liberals have fired a second candidate in two days after the Star revealed the party’s standard-bearer in Parry Sound-Muskoka claimed — without evidence — that homosexuality is caused by infants “rebreathing” their own air shortly after birth.

image.jpg
WWW.CP24.COM

Ontario PC leader Doug Ford says he believes Stephen Lecce is “sorry” about participating in a fraternity “slave auction” 18 years ago and will remain the party’s candidate in King-Vaughan despite calls from the opposition for his removal.

I wonder at what point in the election this might be walked back? If OLP continues to gain ground?

Yeah it seems like the OPC is definitely going to have a lower vote count than the last election, I don't think anyone doubts that. Most polls put them somewhere in the 35-38% range, so this might be an outlier (though the trend is slightly downward lately). The OLP has also definitely supplanted the ONDP as the second-place party. Interestingly, however, even though the OLP is polling well above the ONDP, the ONDP appears to have more secure seats, and may place second in seat count (assuming the OPC hold their vote and win).

If the OLP can come within 1-2 points of the OPC, however, then it becomes much more possible that we'll see a plurality rather than a majority, and that's when it gets interesting—do the OLP and ONDP team up to run Ontario in some kind of supply agreement? They've indicated that they might. 

It appears the OPC drop is real, but it remains to be seen if the OLP can actually capitalize on it. The OPC vote is quite efficient; the only way the OLP win the most seats is by basically sweeping the entire GTA, which is not likely. True, they are polling near-40% in Toronto (which will swing a few seats) and they've closed the gap in the rest of the GTA to 4-5% difference, but that's not enough. I think the final vote might end up something like:

• OPC: 34%
  • OLP: 31%
  • ONDP: 25%

And the OPCs will have a strong plurality. What remains to be seen is if the OLP and ONDP will form some kind of government in that case. It's also entirely possible with vote splitting for the OPC to win a majority with only 34%, depending on how individual ridings go.

Jason Kenney, worst premier in Canada, announces he will resign after only garnering 51% support in leadership review.

This is good in one way, but bad in two others: Good because he is the worst premier in Canada by far, and his handling of almost every file justified his booting. It's bad because he will almost certainly be replaced by someone worse ideologically (think MAGA type), and also because the NDP were certain to defeat him in the next election, he was so hated in the province. Now the Conservatives have a chance again.

While I think that Poilievre will win the leadership of the CPC (and move the party into full Trumpian territory), I think that Patrick Brown actually has the best chance of an upset victory, not Jean Charest.

It's an open secret that Brown is basically just going to try sign up new members on his way to victory, focusing specifically on the south-Asian communities of the horseshoe. He won OPC leadership in the same way, so I won't count him out. And honestly, he would be far preferably to Poilievre and his dog whistles. You can tell he is going in this direction (and trying to openly tie Poilievre to Trump/White Replacement Theory/Convoy/etc):

It's good that Brown and others forced Poilievre to publicly denounce WRT, but that doesn't change the makeup of Poilievre's supporters, and their beliefs.

I think brown might come up from behind to win the leadership race as a late sane choice.

Also uh oh. Ontario Green & ONDP leaders have tested positive for COVID. OLP leader says he tested negative and Father Doug gave a questionable "not experiencing any symptoms". 

As for alberta, It's great Kenny is finally out but also bad because it was looking like a possibility that NDP could win the next election. =/ 

I think it's too soon to say the election is over. I'm not saying a OLP win is happening but that I think ABC voting for OLP will kick in at the end leading to an OPC minority.

28 minutes ago, Brick said:

Ugh you're telling me I have to put up with Ford for another 4 years!? 

Yes

Polling in Ontario has been showing the PCs and Liberals dropping the last week, and the NDP rising. NDP and Liberals are both close to each other now, but the NDP has a much more efficient vote and so are guaranteed to be the opposition. The PC's current numbers could put them either majority or minority, though more likely the former. If it's the latter, does Horwath become premier?

On 5/19/2022 at 3:23 PM, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah I think the Conservatives will win. The main possibility of them not winning is a swing from NDP to LP in the final days of the campaign, similar to the 2015 federal election (if NDP voters value defeating Ford > NDP government).

Ugh. I’m so on the fence right now 

14 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

Ugh. I’m so on the fence right now 

Vote for whichever party has the best chance in your rising, realistically. Unless you're directly in Toronto (where Liberals have strength), then it's likely NDP, especially if momentum as the anti-Ford vote is building for them.

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Vote for whichever party has the best chance in your rising, realistically. Unless you're directly in Toronto (where Liberals have strength), then it's likely NDP, especially if momentum as the anti-Ford vote is building for them.

I’m in Toronto west end but my area is ndp.  In fact, the last three areas I lived in were ndp. Roncesvalles, liberty village and now high park

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Polling in Ontario has been showing the PCs and Liberals dropping the last week, and the NDP rising. NDP and Liberals are both close to each other now, but the NDP has a much more efficient vote and so are guaranteed to be the opposition. The PC's current numbers could put them either majority or minority, though more likely the former. If it's the latter, does Horwath become premier?

The junior partner in any coalition is always punished in future elections.  Both the NDP and Liberals know this.

I have some serious questioning on the local riding polling. My area is historically liberal (both federally and provincially, only went ONDP last election, I've only seen 1 ONDP lawn sign but a shit ton of liberal signs, I feel the MPP really hasn't done anything but yet most polling has her winning easily. I'm not sure I buy it. 

I should note the OPCs don't have a shot in this riding and even when it swings hard liberal or ndp, OPC are in a very distant 3rd.