I am not touching the FF7 Remake. Major fucking spoilers. I am triple tagging spoilers.

Bacon

Just now, Bacon said:

Possibly waste $60 and your time. 

I also don't hate everything. Just the story. The demo gameplay is mediocre, and the graphics look great. 

And like, I did make this thread to hate on it. I didn't want to clog up that the other thread. 

That's fair. Just wait for it to be $20 and dive in. 

4 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

That's fair. Just wait for it to be $20 and dive in. 

Uh, no? I still don't like what I see. Why would I do that? Even if it was free, I still have to spend my time. I don't get this "just enjoy something you don't like" shit. I don't like the taste of poop(or at least I assume so). I'm not gonna eat it just cuz it's free. 

7 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Uh, no? I still don't like what I see. Why would I do that? Even if it was free, I still have to spend my time. I don't get this "just enjoy something you don't like" shit. I don't like the taste of poop(or at least I assume so). I'm not gonna eat it just cuz it's free. 

See you just admitted it, you might like poop. 

Just now, Paperclyp said:

See you just admitted it, you might like poop. 

Yes, but that goes for anyone and anything. But you can make assumptions. I don't like the smell of poop. I don't like the way poop looks. I don't even like the act of pooping. I have seen other eat poop and vomit from the taste. I have seen other describe how bad it is. It is safe to assume I don't like poop. But I guess, if you really don't eat the turd yourself you will never really know.

But that doesn't really work with FF7R. I have played the demo and experienced at least the basic version of what this game has to offer visually and gameplay wise. I have essentially fully experienced the story. I don't need to play the game to get the full experience of the story. Watching the YouTube movie version of FF7R will allow me to fully experience the story of the game, which is the main part.

40 minutes ago, Bacon said:

People said the same thing to Star Wars. People(rlm) are saying the same thing about Star Trek. You can chose to ignore it. You can also chose to ignore your health. That doesn't mean you are healthy. Ignoring something doesn't make it not real, and something that doesn't matter.

They didn’t set out to make this game thinking they’d remake it someday with some twist.  Or even a multipart arc to be completed. It was already a complete story as is.  That’s the difference.  If it wasn’t, FF8 would have been FF7-2.

Regardless, reviewers aren’t saying the game is as bad as you already think it is.  Most are saying it’s a step up from XIII and XV. 

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Regardless, reviewers aren’t saying the game is as bad as you already think it is.

That doesn't matter. I still don't like what they have done to the story. And the story is as bad as I think it is because that is subjective. The stories have almost always been the main part. I have said it before. I'd rather play a mediocre game with a great story than a great game with a shitty story.  Or I'd rather play a game with shitter gameplay and a story I really like over a game with good gameplay, but a story I despise. This really only goes for RPGs. It also comes from knowing the plot of KH and how bad that is. I have no faith in the future of the remake series because of the director. 

10 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

They didn’t set out to make this game thinking they’d remake it someday with some twist.  Or even a multipart arc to be completed. It was already a complete story as is.  That’s the difference.

Yep it was but now it isn't. I can't view it any other way. 

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

Yep it was but now it isn't. I can't view it any other way. 

These must be dark times for you with all these live action Disney remakes.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Stop twisting his arm, he's not interested and not going to play it and good for him if he sticks by it.

Honestly I don’t blame him for that, if this is what it takes to ruin something two decades old to him.  But we’ve all got different tolerances.

17 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

No. That is different. They don't have alternate times lines where a person time travels to the past to change the future. They have zero interaction with the previous films and don't override anything that came before it. They are two wholly different entities. FF7R is not a remake is is a sequel. This game is not like RE2 and RE2make. It really feels like you have zero understanding as to why I don't like this shit. You are also being fucking ridiculous if you really think those types of remakes, the Disney live action ones, are anything close to the same as what it happening here with FF7R.  The difference between the live action remakes and the cartoons are like the difference between and book and its movie adaption. Two entirely different beasts. FF7R isn't that. If it was I wouldn't care as much. I'd still hate a lot of the shit, but that is no different than a book fan being mad that the movie didn't include this part, or changed that part. FF7R is nothing like that. 

Also, I don't give a fuck about Disney movies. 

49 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Wasn't the Lion King remake somewhat faithful to the original movie. Did the remake kill off Simba in the middle of the movie and then say we are in an alternate univierse where Scar is the good guy?

And then if that happened would you be ok with it because we could always go watch the original cartoon?

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

No. That is different. They don't have alternate times lines where a person time travels to the past to change the future. They have zero interaction with the previous films and don't override anything that came before it. They are two wholly different entities. FF7R is not a remake is is a sequel. This game is not like RE2 and RE2make. It really feels like you have zero understanding as to why I don't like this shit. You are also being fucking ridiculous if you really think those types of remakes, the Disney live action ones, are anything close to the same as what it happening here with FF7R.  The difference between the live action remakes and the cartoons are like the difference between and book and its movie adaption. Two entirely different beasts. FF7R isn't that. If it was I wouldn't care as much. I'd still hate a lot of the shit, but that is no different than a book fan being mad that the movie didn't include this part, or changed that part. FF7R is nothing like that. 

As someone who has endured the Aladdin reboot, I believe you have a very backwards take on Disney’s adherence to their source material.

• Guillotine 1

27 minutes ago, Duderino said:

As someone who has endured the Aladdin reboot, you have a very backwards take on Disney’s respect for their source material.

I have no clue what you are talking about. I thought every single one looked like shit and never watched them. All I said it was different than what FF7R is doing. I also said this:

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

The difference between the live action remakes and the cartoons are like the difference between and book and its movie adaption. Two entirely different beasts.

Which is still true. Never said they were good. Just different. I mean, plenty of book adaptions are fucking absolute garbage. But the live action Avatar: The Last Airbender has nothing to do with the cartoon. At least in the ways I have been talking about. I don't have any respect for TLA movie or any of the live action Disney remakes/reboots. 

Or are you talking about this:

27 minutes ago, Bacon said:

They have zero interaction with the previous films and don't override anything that came before it. They are two wholly different entities.

Nothing here is me talking about Disney's respect for anything. 

Or this:

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

You are also being fucking ridiculous if you really think those types of remakes, the Disney live action ones, are anything close to the same as what it happening here with FF7R.

This is just me say the two types of remakes are different. Not that one is actually good while the other is bad. 

Again, I also said this:

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

Really, I have no clue what you are talking about. The only view I have towards the reboots is that they look like shit. Never seen a single one.  But I also know that nothing like what Keyser said happens in the Aladdin or Lion King reboot. But it does in FF7R. Like, just because they didn't do that doesn't mean I giving Disney some kind favorable critique or something.  

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I have no clue what you are talking about. I thought every single one looked like shit and never watched them. All I said it was different than what FF7R is doing.

I don't know the extent FFVII:R changes the plot and character motivations yet, but trust me on this, modern Disney took plenty of liberties with the new Aladdin.

3 minutes ago, Duderino said:

but trust me on this, modern Disney took plenty of liberties with the new Aladdin.

This is not the issue I am talking about. What I am talking about here is totally different. I don't think you understand. 

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

This is not the issue I am talking about. What I am talking about here is totally different. I don't think you understand. 

Disney’s re-imagining of Aladdin reframed the story and characters in a way that is both unnecessary and hard to unsee.  Some, like me, would say the additions and changes detract from the overall film.  Because of its success however, the live action Aladdin will be the how many experience/remember the story and characters moving forward.

Please explain to me what makes FFVII:R a different situation in your eyes.  Btw, I’m not going into spoiler territory either.

15 minutes ago, Duderino said:

Disney’s re-imagining of Aladdin reframed the story and characters in a way that is both unnecessary and hard to unsee.  Some, like me, would say the additions and changes detract from the overall film.  Because of its success however, the live action Aladdin will be the how many experience/remember the story and characters moving forward.

None of this is the reason why I am ranting. You need to know the spoilers to know what I am talking about. If you haven't read the spoilers there is no point in continuing this.

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

None of this is the reason why I am ranting. You need to know the spoilers to know what I am talking about. If you haven't read the spoilers there is no point in continuing this.

A blurb of spoiled text that lacks hours of context is not how I will be forming my opinions.

32 minutes ago, Duderino said:

A blurb of spoiled text that lacks hours of context is not how I will be forming my opinions.

Then literally fuck off. You have zero fucking clue what I am talking about if you haven't read the spoilers I have posted in the main post. 

Here I am talking about football, but because you have no context you think I am talking about football(soccer). This shit is over. 

Live action Aladdin sucking is probably on the same level as FFVII Remake sucking. They made changes that make them suck. And yes for some people this will be their first and only taste of the game.

I somewhat feel sorry for @Emperor Diocletian II who's never played a Final Fantasy game and he says he will play this one. And when he comes back and says, "Boy that game sucked. I don't see why this game was held in high regard." All we can say is, "Well if you played the original game 20 years ago..." but alas it might be too dated or not even a preferred play style to go back to. So in the end you're fucked.

45 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Live action Aladdin sucking is probably on the same level as FFVII Remake sucking. They made changes that make them suck. And yes for some people this will be their first and only taste of the game.

Haha, I doubt that.  Aladdin remake was bad from start to finish.  Everything it did was fucked.  It was a total train wreck.

Even then, it doesn’t ruin the original movie for me.  Why would it?  That’s like bemoaning that Star Wars Christmas Special ruined the original trilogy.

12 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Haha, I doubt that.  Aladdin remake was bad from start to finish.  Everything it did was fucked.  It was a total train wreck.

Even then, it doesn’t ruin the original movie for me.  Why would it?  That’s like bemoaning that Star Wars Christmas Special ruined the original trilogy.

Or almost everything that has happened since empire strikes back lol 

36 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

But Star Wars Christmas special was awesome. It provided more entertainment than episodes 7 8 and 9 combined!

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Bacon said:

I understand that the spoilers tarnish your view of the original story.  Likely because of some interaction between games (ie: new imposes on old) that overrides certain plot elements, as you say.  I get you on that.  (It's why I brought up DQXI's post game.)

I just don’t see that as such a big deal when the original game is very old and very complete.  You’ve thought of FF7 a certain way for two decades.  Nothing is forcing you to take this new thing as canon, even if you can’t unsee it.

People are going to say ‘Not my FF7!’ who have and haven’t played it.   But if it does coerce people to not reject it because it’s just so damn convincing and authoritative ... lol.  I’ll take my words back then.  Honestly, hats off to them if they do that with a hugely controversial deviation.  Though that’s not what its detractors have implied in reviews.

6 hours ago, Duderino said:

Please explain to me what makes FFVII:R a different situation in your eyes.  Btw, I’m not going into spoiler territory either.

Unlike Bacon, nothing in FF7R would tarnish my perspective of the old game, but Bacon is right that what is happening in FF7R is not the same as a typical remake that changes some plot points ala Disney. If you want absolutely zero spoilers, you're just going to have to take my word that he is correct that there is a relevant difference. You're asking him to explain something that in the next breath you prevent him from explaining :p 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Bacon said:

Then literally fuck off. You have zero fucking clue what I am talking about if you haven't read the spoilers I have posted in the main post. 

Here I am talking about football, but because you have no context you think I am talking about football(soccer). This shit is over. 

Telling me it's nothing like Disney screwing with the plot and characters of one of their beloved franchises is quite the parallel to shoot down.  It's not exactly leaving many possibilities left.  You get why this is puzzling, right?

I've asked you to help me better understand without going into spoilers.  Your response?  Telling me to fuck off. Getting short over such a small request is not the way to go about convincing people to trust your take.

2 hours ago, legend said:

Unlike Bacon, nothing in FF7R would tarnish my perspective of the old game, but Bacon is right that what is happening in FF7R is not the same as a typical remake that changes some plot points ala Disney. If you want absolutely zero spoilers, you're just going to have to take my word that he is correct that there is a relevant difference. You're asking him to explain something that in the next breath you prevent him from explaining :p 

I can understand the frustration of not being able to lay it all out.  Clearly something specific is illiciting a strong response.

So here's my follow up question, are the changes really so out of left field that it puts the FFVII Remake into a category of its own?  Keep in mind there have been some pretty big misteps in recent years.  On a scale from one to the Ghostbusters reboot, how poorly did Square misshandle this? 😉

1 hour ago, Duderino said:

So here's my follow up question, are the changes really so out of left field that it puts the FFVII Remake into a category of its own?  Keep in mind there have been some pretty big misteps in recent years.  On a scale from one to the Ghostbuster reboot, how poorly did Square misshandle this? 😉

I'm not sure I would classify it as a misstep. I might end up liking what they're doing here. But I do think it's worth classifying it uniquely from most other "remakes" of various media.