I am not touching the FF7 Remake. Major fucking spoilers. I am triple tagging spoilers.

Bacon

16 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

This will be my first ever Final Fantasy game.

On a scale of one to "wishing that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were  just the start", just how "anime" is it?

Wade? When did you change your username? 

23 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

This will be my first ever Final Fantasy game.

On a scale of one to "wishing that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were  just the start", just how "anime" is it?

I actually think you would enjoy XII; the story is predominantly political.

16 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

@Bacon is gonna end up buying it and secretly love it but have to keep his front up here. 

Nope. I was going to get it eventually when it was just 3 parts but now that the remake 

Spoiler

literally makes the ending of FF7 and AC the "bad end" according to Red13 I have zero interest. The "remake" is literally changing the ending of the original game. That is bullshit. 

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Nope. I was going to get it eventually when it was just 3 parts but now that the remake 

Reveal hidden contents

Oooooooooooooooh you’ll be gettin it

Nope. Same shit happened with Kindgom Hearts 3. I was waiting for a finale but it turns out it was just the end to book 1. I also never beat ME3 after seeing the endings I sold my CE copy on ebay. You're just trying to get a rise out of me, but this isn't the first time people have basically said the same shit. I don't get why anyone would seriously think I would get this game. 

Doesn’t sound like they’ve dropped the ball sum total according to reviews.  Even people who feel negative about the last chapters are recommending it and saying they’re on this train.

I don’t think there’s any cow too sacred to be slaughtered given than the original still exists.  Canon here is literally whatever you prefer it to be.  I think it’ll be easy to leave my preconceptions at the door...

I’m thinking back to DQXI’s post game. Plenty of people were happy enough with the ending as it first appeared, or played on but still preferred it. And that’s totally okay, right?  It was still fun if you continued, and saw things recontexualized in ways that retconned a lot.  You could still pick which one was the ‘real’ story in your mind.

But hey, the FF7R ending might surprise me in such a bad way I’ll feel completely different?   That’d be quite a feat.

9 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Canon here is literally whatever you prefer it to be.

9 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

You could still pick which one was the ‘real’ story in your mind

Except you can't. I mean, I guess you can but you would be literally wrong.

Spoiler

It would be like ignoring the Star Wars sequel/prequel trilogy and saying it never happened. That it isn't canon.  Well it is. The official sources say it is. What I think, what you think, or what anyone else thinks doesn't change that. 

31 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Reveal hidden contents

It's worth noting that Star Wars' filmmakers always had a significantly more widescreen canvas to work with compared to what was possible w/ compact discs and video game hardware in the early 90's.  Classic as FFVII is, the hardware restrictions back then might've also restricted the scope of narrative possibilities that writers of retro games wanted to tackle.  In many ways FFVIIR might be closer to the story as originally envisioned than even the PS1 version is/was.

• Guillotine 1

21 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Reveal hidden contents

Honestly I think you should do what you want and I was just ribbing you above, but I do find your standing order to just never play the game odd. Like we can agree to disagree on the stance you took of not wanting to play it because in your eyes it should be the whole game. But now things have shifted in a way that totally lets you just get in and play the thing, and you still have your foot down. I’m as big a FF7 fan you’ll find, and I just don’t think it should be held to these standards lol. 

I think you should just play it and have fun. 

• Guillotine 1

8 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Honestly I think you should do what you want and I was just ribbing you above, but I do find your standing order to just never play the game odd. Like we can agree to disagree on the stance you took of not wanting to play it because in your eyes it should be the whole game. But now things have shifted in a way that totally lets you just get in and play the thing, and you still have your foot down. I’m as big a FF7 fan you’ll find, and I just don’t think it should be held to these standards lol. 

I think you should just play it and have fun. 

But it isn't just FF as I posted earlier. I have done similar things with KH and ME. "I think you should just play it and have fun," is fucking stupid when I don't like what is happening. 

"Wow I sure don't like getting stabbed."

"I think you should just accept it and enjoy it."

"Wow I sure don't like the taste of X."

"I think you should just eat it and like it."

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

But it isn't just FF as I posted earlier. I have done similar things with KH and ME. "I think you should just play it and have fun," is fucking stupid when I don't like what is happening. 

Ok

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Reveal hidden contents

Not going to read that, but there’s nothing they can do would make the original FF7 an incomplete story on its own.  The existence of FF7R, or even Advent Children or Crisis Core, doesn’t change that.

Square is notorious for building off/screwing with their finished stories. It’s why I brought up DQXI, where they did it in the same game! 

33 minutes ago, Bacon said:

40 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Me: I don't like the direction and changes of the story so I won't be partaking in this game/book/movie.

Other People: No, you can't do that. 

It’s more your idea that a remake can “literally” force you to believe that the original game is a lie.  That’s nonsense.  Why can’t the original game still be enjoyed in its context?  It wasn’t lacking anything that a remake or sequel needs to answer to feel complete.

We’re not even talking about some historically planned out canon here.

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

It’s more your idea that a remake can “literally” force you to believe that the original game a lie.  That’s nonsense.

We’re not even talking about some historically planned out canon here.

Uh, of course the game isn't a lie? Like, I want to say more but since you didn't read the spoiler I posted there is no point in me continuing. 

Edit:

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Why can’t the original game still be enjoyed in its context?

Because this game changes that. FF7 is now officially the bad end to a story. 

15 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Uh, of course the game isn't a lie? Like, I want to say more but since you didn't read the spoiler I posted there is no point in me continuing. 

You straight up told me someone can’t simply pick which one is the real story.  But we’re already seeing that reaction.  Including from you?

‘That’s not my FF7!’

... We’ll return to this after I play it.

50 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Me: I don't like the direction and changes of the story so I won't be partaking in this game/book/movie.

Other People: No, you can't do that. 

To me it's more: 

Bacon: I hate everything about this game

Everyone + you: Hash it out, agree to disagree

Bacon: I will never buy this game

Everyone: OK... but like why

*a little more hashing out

Bacon: God I just do not like this game, I'll never buy it

Everyone: ....ok dude, maybe just give it a chance tho

Bacon: Why can't i have my own opinion without getting bombarded

Everyone: shrugs

I think you've probably posted about the game you aren't interested in and won't buy out of principle more than anyone on the boards.

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

Everyone: ....ok dude, maybe just give it a chance tho

Possibly waste $60 and your time. 

I also don't hate everything. Just the story. The demo gameplay is mediocre, and the graphics look great. 

And like, I did make this thread to hate on it. I didn't want to clog up that the other thread. 

Just now, crispy4000 said:

You straight told me someone can’t simply pick which one is the real story.  Guess what?  We’re already seeing that reaction from some people. ‘That’s not my FF7!’

As I said:

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

You straight told me someone can’t simply pick which one is the real story.  Guess what?  We’re already seeing that reaction from some people. ‘That’s not my FF7!’

People said the same thing to Star Wars. People(rlm) are saying the same thing about Star Trek. You can chose to ignore it. You can also chose to ignore your health. That doesn't mean you are healthy. Ignoring something doesn't make it not real, and something that doesn't matter.