Facebook's free food banned as Silicon Valley restaurants hit back

I don’t have any problem with tying tax incentives to other things like no free lunch of campus but free lunch off campus. Just banning free lunches on campus seems like corporate welfare for all the other businesses around.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t have any problem with tying tax incentives to other things like no free lunch of campus but free lunch off campus. Just banning free lunches on campus seems like corporate welfare for all the other businesses around.

I'm sure you'll be shocked to learn that Mountain View has also gone after food trucks in the past: https://mv-voice.com/news/2013/01/24/allow-food-trucks-downtown

38 minutes ago, Jason said:

These lunches are aimed primarily at software engineers and similar white collar roles, who have new college graduates start over $100k/year at average companies with kids from average CS programs. Provided lunches aren't for the janitors or other blue collar types, who really do struggle in the Bay area. These people are on track to make a stupid amount of money, and can set themselves up to move across country in a similar role for at something like 80% pay for a 50% COL adjustment. I'm not going to mourn the loss of this untaxed perk for those who literally are in the best career track possible today when there are real issues with poverty and the cost of living in the Bay area.

Borden is one of the supporters of a San Francisco city proposal, announced on Tuesday,that would ban on-site workplace cafeterias

If approved, the measure would alter city planning laws to ban workplace cafeterias in any new developments, but would not be retroactive.

You going to arrest people for bringing a bag lunch with them to work, too?

I get the large scale communal concerns over this where the company is a vital organ of the community, but it strikes me as the kind of thing that should have been handled when they were settling on things like tax breaks for moving in and such. And now maybe with property or business taxes.

Fucking with people's lunch hour is like a twofer when it comes to working class people who might not be hardcore Dem or Rep who are susceptible to arguments about frivolous government regulation.

1 minute ago, Chairslinger said:

Fucking with people's lunch hour is like a twofer when it comes to working class people who might not be hardcore Dem or Rep who are susceptible to arguments about frivolous government regulation.

As @b_m_b_m_b_m noted, this isn’t really about working class people...or even the “kinda working class because they only make 6 figs in the Bay Area” types.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

As @b_m_b_m_b_m noted, this isn’t really about working class people...or even the “kinda working class because they only make 6 figs in the Bay Area” types.

I was referring to how this plays in the wider political conversation. 

We talk a lot about Trump parodying himself, but this is the type of thing conservatives dream up to turn people against government regulation.

3 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Zuck lost $20B today...

hqdefault.jpg

I am sure that Zuckerberg would say that, like the Holocaust, that number is greatly inflated.

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

A comment from the /r/bayarea discussion on this:

You know all those underpaid contractors at Facebook that make like 20$/hr? They get free food too, it helps (somewhat) with the ridiculous cost of living here.

There are also the people who make the food and do the other cafeteria work who'd lose their jobs over this.

34 minutes ago, Jason said:

A comment from the /r/bayarea discussion on this:

There are also the people who make the food and do the other cafeteria work who'd lose their jobs over this.

I’m sure both of those things are true while not representing the majority of folks for whom the free lunch is designed to attract at these firms. But it’s still worth considering those others who will be truly negatively affected by the change.

I will admit I prefer a company with a cafeteria.  I really tried to get on at a finance company in Cincinnati that had free lunch and when I worked as a contracter for Luxottica at their North American retail headquarters I never once went out for lunch because their cafeteria was really good.  I don't have a problem with company cafeterias, they've existed about as long as offices have and some of them have been free