The Last Kingdom Season 4 -April 26th

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Excellent. 

I need to speed up my book reading. So far I’ve only read the first two. 

This next season (4) covers my two favorite books. I’m SUPER curious how they’re going to handle the transition between books 7 & 8. :D

1 hour ago, Emblazon said:

This next season (4) covers my two favorite books. I’m SUPER curious how they’re going to handle the transition between books 7 & 8. :D

Nice. I’ve bought most of the books by now. May start the third one soon. I just have to alternate what I read so I don’t get burned out on one genre. 

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Through the first two episodes and I’m loving it. Moving very quickly and jumping around a lot but it’s done very well and doesn’t get confusing. I do miss Uhtred and Alfreds interactions already though :(

I just finished the season - the season was excellent but it moves very fast this season, to its detriment. It's clear the two books this season adapted had a lot of plot to them.

Just finished tonight. Fantastic season, and they hit a few of the book notes spot on. 

with one significant omission... possible future spoiler, character name:

Spoiler

WHERE THE FUCK IS OSBERT???? Uhtred’s TRUE heir. 

I've just started the series from the beginning as it's been a while (and I've not watched Season 3). Annoyingly, I have read...some of the books (I think 6 of them so far) but I have no clue where I've read up to (the books are spread out between my house, my parents house and my in-laws) so I might just have to settle for the series as a way of experiencing the story further. 

1 hour ago, Jose said:

@Emblazon This show is so damn good. Finishing up Season 2. Will probably burn through the rest by next week at the latest.

3 & 4 are better than 1 & 2, so you’re in for a wonderful treat! Both better in story and significantly better in production value because the show is in house at Netflix starting with season 3. 

4 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

3 & 4 are better than 1 & 2, so you’re in for a wonderful treat! Both better in story and significantly better in production value because the show is in house at Netflix starting with season 3. 

Awesome. Honestly 2 has been a little meh, but still overall very good. Do the Netflix seasons have HDR or 4k at least?

8 hours ago, Jose said:

Awesome. Honestly 2 has been a little meh, but still overall very good. Do the Netflix seasons have HDR or 4k at least?

I didn’t look at 4K, even though that’s what I’m viewing on, but it doesn’t have HDR, sadly. Which is quite odd. 

So, anyone know the lore significance of the Danes putting horns on their horses? I know Erik, the blond bother, has horns on his horse. I know there was another character as well. I think, Guthrum. 

I am probably the minority here(and everywhere else), but I think the show turned pretty shitty the moment it became made by Netflix.

I went into season 3 directly after finishing season 2. The the changes are extremely apparent and jarring. First of all, the natural volume of season 3 is louder than seasons 1-2. It is also visually darker. Like, way darker. People seem to be constantly shrouded in shadows.  A lot more of the story happens at night now as well. I think every single action sequence has happened at night. The subtitles are wrong multiple times per episode as well. Or rather not everything that was being said was subtitled. Which was not the case in seasons 1-2. Not a big deal,  but it is weird. 

The characters also seem worse. Like they more caricature than character. Their various traits, good and bad, are more exaggerated. Skade is an awful character. At least the Skade played by this actress. Her acting isn't good, and the character feels like it doesn't belong. Like she is a pure fantasy character. The reactions to Skade also don't seem believable. Especially, from Uhtred. I also thought Uhtred post-slavery was a bit more calmer and mellow, or something. He seemed less head strong, but Season 3 seems to completely get rid of any of that maturity. I don't know. And I don't know if I should be blaming the Author, or Netflix for the changes. 

And like, in Seasons 1 and 2 I basically didn't like any of the characters, but I enjoyed watching them. Like, I don't mean that in a bad way. Like, what I mean is that I felt every character, especially the King and Uthred, are just awful people and disgustingly hypocritical.  But in a way that made that made the show great to watch. Like, I don't like them, but wouldn't want them to be different in the context of the story. Kinda, but not really, like Joffrey in GoT. But in season 3 I just don't like either of these characters, and I don't like watching what they do either. 

Well, I like Hild a lot. Probably my favorite character in the show. Well, if Leofric was still in it he might be my favorite character. He was before he died. But again I don't really know who to blame here. But I just feel like Netflix is the issue as my enjoyment significantly dropped as soon as they picked it up. 

There is also the pacing of the show. It feels constantly rushed and plots are constantly changing. Like, character goes to X but is instantly going to Y. It makes things constantly feel pointless. One thing that seemed really off to me was when Uhtred was sick. Brida appeared in front of Uhtred and that was basically the end of him being sick. It just felt like a waste of time. I get that the shit with the Leofric hallucination is supposed to be showing Uhtred torn between Saxon and Dane, but it just doesn't work for me. I don't mean I don't believe he isn't torn between the two, but the hallucinations are lame, and Uhtred's constant hesitance showed it well enough. At least, that is what I got from the hallucinations. Maybe I am looking at it wrong.

Again I am still not sure who to blame, but the show has become very hard to watch. I actually think many of the changes I talked about are subtle, and you probably wouldn't notice them if you didn't binge watch and had a large gap between seasons. But, I did binge, and I just don't like what I see. It has become very hard to watch. And it really feels like a Netflix show now. I wasn't aware that The Last Kingdom wasn't 100% a netflix show. I thought seasons 1 and 2 we always made for netflix. But half way into EP 1 of season 3 I was googling "The Last Kingdom Season 3 weird/bad/changes" and eventually saw where netflix picked up the show for season 3, and everything just all made sense to me. It is like watching an anime where one season was made by Studio X and the next season was made by Studio Y. 

I do hope the Season gets better. I still have eps 5-10 to watch. 

That’s def a different take as the consensus is that S3 was the easily the best season. But I would wait till the end before totally judging it. Some of the payoffs and amazing. 

Just finished S4 and if I knew how to post a standing ovation gif I would. Phenomenal.