The Last Kingdom Season 4 -April 26th

Yeah, the show follows the books fairly closely. Which I’m appreciative of, especially after my favorite novel was fucking massacred (the only similarities were the character names, and that it was about a large shark). 

And the show covers two books per season. Season 4 kept one really big part that I was dying to see, and omitted one big part I really wanted to see, but the way they did it I was ok with, because it pushed the necessary story forward. 

And everything was amped up once Netflix took over—in every good way conceivable. Why was the show brighter in seasons one and two? Lower production budget, lower quality cameras, less lighting, etc. Typical with BBC shows (in comparison). With BBC shows, they just feel like television shows. 

10 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Have any of you watched Vikings? And what’d you think. I still want more and I’m thinking about giving that show a try since it’s on Hulu. 

I’ve gotten through the first few episodes. It’s ok. It definitely feels more soap-opera-ish than TLK. I think because of the network it’s on, they’re not able to really show the gratuity of the violence. Which kind of defeats the purpose with a show about Vikings. Who knows, maybe that changes as the show continues?

I’m really looking forward to AC:Vikings, though. Haven’t played an AC game in forever, but I’ll be on that one on day one. 

5 hours ago, Emblazon said:

I’ve gotten through the first few episodes. It’s ok. It definitely feels more soap-opera-ish than TLK. I think because of the network it’s on, they’re not able to really show the gratuity of the violence. Which kind of defeats the purpose with a show about Vikings. Who knows, maybe that changes as the show continues?

I’m really looking forward to AC:Vikings, though. Haven’t played an AC game in forever, but I’ll be on that one on day one. 

Oh, I'm super hyped for AC, but I've also beaten all the games in the series. Origins and Odyssey were fantastic and just what the series needed.

I'll give Vikings a try at least. I've heard a lot of people liked it, though the toned down violence in a vikings show is disappointing.

Since I'm in such a middle ages mood, I'm sure you'd appreciate that I decided on a whim last night to start watching Kingdom of Heaven DC. It was slow at work and it hit me. One of my favorite movies.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 11:40 PM, Emblazon said:

Just finished tonight. Fantastic season, and they hit a few of the book notes spot on. 

with one significant omission... possible future spoiler, character name:

Hide contents

WHERE THE FUCK IS OSBERT???? Uhtred’s TRUE heir. 

I am wondering the same

The only reason I can see people really liking Season 3 over Seasons 1 and 2 is because of the final conversation between Alfred and Uhtred. For me, that made the rest of the of the season more OK. Those final scenes were great. Season 4 at times feels better than season 3 but that might be because I have just gotten use to the Netflixification. There are still times were things don't feel right, like they wouldn't have happened this/that way in the BBC version. Like, I felt the whole part where [Season 4 spoilers] Uhtred gets the Cnut boys from Haesten was off, but that could be a book thing. Still hate how much visually darker the new seasons are. 

1 hour ago, Emblazon said:

It’s almost all book plot. There are slight variations, but all the major plot points are straight from the books. 

What I mean about he spoiler

Spoiler

It is weird that Haesten basically invited Uhtred to his camp, then just taunted him non-stop as if he was asking for Uhtred to kill him. Like, maybe it is that way in the books, but it all felt really out of place and stupid, even for Haesten. Or maybe contrived. It didn't feel natural. It really stuck out to me and I can't remember anything feeling that bad to me in the first two seasons. 

Also, has it been stated that Uhtred looks like a love child between Jack Sparrow and Will Turner? I don't mean, Bloom and Depp, but their characters from PotC. Cuz he fucking does. 

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

What I mean about he spoiler

Hide contents

It is weird that Haesten basically invited Uhtred to his camp, then just taunted him non-stop as if he was asking for Uhtred to kill him. Like, maybe it is that way in the books, but it all felt really out of place and stupid, even for Haesten. Or maybe contrived. It didn't feel natural. It really stuck out to me and I can't remember anything feeling that bad to me in the first two seasons. 

Also, has it been stated that Uhtred looks like a love child between Jack Sparrow and Will Turner? I don't mean, Bloom and Depp, but their characters from PotC. Cuz he fucking does. 

Uhtred’s casting is perfect. You shut your whore mouth! 

:)

11 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Uhtred’s casting is perfect. You shut your whore mouth! 

:)

I never said his casting was wrong? Just talking about that he looks like. I have nothing really negative to say against the guy. But he does like the love child of Jack and Will. 

Although, I think the weird way in which Uhtred talks is, well, weird. Like, kinda sounds hammy and silly at times. Especially the "Destiny is all" and " I am Ew-tread of Beb-bin-buuh(r)" but I wouldn't have it any other way. 

On 5/14/2020 at 12:31 AM, Bacon said:

I never said his casting was wrong? Just talking about that he looks like. I have nothing really negative to say against the guy. But he does like the love child of Jack and Will. 

Although, I think the weird way in which Uhtred talks is, well, weird. Like, kinda sounds hammy and silly at times. Especially the "Destiny is all" and " I am Ew-tread of Beb-bin-buuh(r)" but I wouldn't have it any other way. 

He only sounds absolutely terrible in the recaps for whatever reason. Literally comes off as an actor reciting his first lines.

15 hours ago, Jose said:

He only sounds absolutely terrible in the recaps for whatever reason. Literally comes off as an actor reciting his first lines.

Indeed, but it's part of the show now. I think Alexander Dreymon does it intentionally at this point. If I don't hear "Destiny is all" anymore that'd be lame.

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

What is the sickness in EP6? Is it a famous one or just generic? I don't know of any from the 800s.

Spoiler

It's nothing specific, a lot of diseases swept through areas during the Middle Ages. A lot of them aren't really known and disappeared after a number of years. Pretty timely episode, though!

• Thanks 1

Again, I think I might be in the minority here, but I liked S4 more than S3. The ending of S4 really has me looking forward to what is to come, assuming they don't drop the show. While, I'd be sad if it ended here, I feel as if I have enough... Well not really closure, but idk. It would make for a better ending then shit like Chuck, HIMYM, Dexter, or GoT.  

• 1 month later...