YouTube homepage to only show Trump ads leading up to election

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-21/donald-trump-youtube-ads-will-dominate-election-day

In the immediate run up to the U.S. presidential election and on Election Day, the homepage of YouTube is set to advertise just one candidate: Donald Trump.

The president’s re-election campaign purchased the coveted advertising space atop the country’s most-visited video website for early November, said two people with knowledge of the transaction. The deal ensures Trump will be featured prominently in the key days when voters across the country prepare to head to the polls Nov. 3.

Ads on the YouTube masthead—as the video on the top of the homepage is known—generally run for an entire day. The exact duration of Trump’s ad buy and financial details were unclear, but estimates for the space range from hundreds of thousands of dollars to more than $1 million a day. \\

YouTube, owned by Alphabet Inc.’s Google, lets advertisers target users based on a variety of factors, though it recently limited those options for political content. The Trump campaign bought the digital real estate nationwide, one of the people familiar with the deal said, both of whom asked not to be identified because they weren’t authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

• Guillotine 2

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If it's anything like it is now you can skip the ad after 5 seconds. Hardly worth a boycott.

Or you can use adblock. It still does not change the fact I feel they shouldn't be doing this in the first place and the only way to show my disdain for their choice is simply to not use the product. In the grand scheme of things it won't matter much to them but it's my own option to show my dislike. If a lot of others do it as well, it will show up in the analytics.

:shrug:

57 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

All tech companies were a mistake. Except for Microsoft and Apple, maybe.

I gotta agree, MS does seem to be the least evil of all all the big tech corporations. The worst thing I can think of off the top of my head is the bundling IE with Windows in the 90s thing which is kinda eh. I’m sure there is other stuff but they seem generally harmless. And not that there should be people with the kind of wealth Bill Gates has, but if there has to be, at least it’s a guy who has given 30+ billion to charity and has actual plans to give the rest away.

4 hours ago, stepee said:

I gotta agree, MS does seem to be the least evil of all all the big tech corporations. The worst thing I can think of off the top of my head is the bundling IE with Windows in the 90s thing which is kinda eh. I’m sure there is other stuff but they seem generally harmless. And not that there should be people with the kind of wealth Bill Gates has, but if there has to be, at least it’s a guy who has given 30+ billion to charity and has actual plans to give the rest away.

The worst thing was probably stealing the user interface of Digital Research's CP/M and muscling it out of the market with underhanded tactics.