Man triumphs in battle for ‘IM GOD’ license plate in Kentucky

YL76VIM54ZGQVJEZ55AYLIP6XM.jpg&w=1440

He says no one can prove he's not God.

A nearly four-year legal battle over the vanity plate came to an end last week, when a federal judge ordered the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet to pay more than $150,000 to the lawyers who represented Hart in court. U.S. District Judge Gregory F. Van Tatenhove had previously ruled that the state’s denial of the “IM GOD” vanity plate violated the constitutional right to free speech.

As a result, Hart was finally able to pick up the long-awaited plate and place it on the back of his Jeep.

“I walked out and showed the people in line,” he said. “I said, ‘You’re looking at the world’s most famous license plate.’ ”

Over the years he had the plate in Ohio, Hart said, he only had a few confrontations. Once, a woman told him he wasn’t God, and he replied that if she proved it, he would give her the $100 bill he’d been “carrying for over 20 years for the first person that can prove I’m not God.” He said he got to keep the money.

Another time, a woman approached him at a gas station and told him, “I’ve always wanted to meet you.”

But Kentucky decided Hart’s requested message was “vulgar or obscene.” Later, the licensing agency argued that it might create distractions or confrontations with other drivers.

He noted that the messages “GODLVS,” “TRYGOD,” “1GOD” and “NOGOD” had all won approval, undermining the state’s argument that Hart’s requested plate could not be approved because of its reference to religion.

5 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Where I live, the group with the highest % of vanity plates are immigrants from India. I don't even know why. When I worked in motor licensing at my previous job, they were the #1 source of customized plates.

45 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

My favorite license plate I ever saw out in the wild was “KRI$NA”.

Folks, do we love bias affirmation? We sure do.