Xbox Scarlett APU Die Shot Analysis: Die Size Estimated and Rear Ports Revealed!

AbsolutSurgen

Xbox Scarlett APU Die Shot Analysis: Die Size Estimated

Editor's Warning: Die size estimations are always to be taken with a grain of salt. The slightest distortion/error in perspective correction can result in exponentially large differences. Use of certain lenses can also throw these calculations widely off. These are provided only for fun and to give our readers a "guesstimate" of the actual die size.

Scorpio had 2560 SPs with 2 CUs disabled and while the Xbox Scarlett APU is clearly bigger, it is not possible to speculate based just on the die size because of the different process node involved (7nm vs 16nm) but we can safely say that you are looking at at least 50% more power in the same die space. Since the Scorpio APU can output roughly 6 TFLOPs of power, we can guesstimate a range of around 9 TFLOPs for the Scarlett APU.

Xbox Series X Rear Ports Shown Off During AMD CES 2020 Press Conference

So, what kind of ports can we expect from Microsoft’s powerful new console? Well, it looks like we’ve got and ethernet hookup, a two-pin power connector (indicating an internal power supply rather than an old-school power brick), two USB-C ports, and two HDMI ports. There is also an additional USB port on the front of the machine, probably for controller charging. So, a fairly similar array of ports to the Xbox One, but still pretty generous compared to Sony and Nintendo consoles typically offer.

The two HDMI ports (one in, one out, most likely) seems to indicate you’ll once again be able to route other consoles or your cable box through the system. While not everyone used that feature, it’s nice to see it’s (likely) coming back. And what kind of peripherals might end up plugged into those USB-C ports? I suppose we’ll have to wait and see!

22 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I'm so hoping the two hdmi's is a dual output. :daydream:

This was confirmed to be a mistake by AMD.  For some reason, they didn't use imagery provided by MS.

9 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I can’t imagine Microsoft would say 12TFs if it wasn’t 12TFs. Maybe back when Don was in charge, but Phil wouldn’t make a silly mistake. #IBelievein12

I haven't seen any quotes from Phil referring to 12TF -- where have you seen this?

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

This was confirmed to be a mistake by AMD.  For some reason, they didn't use imagery provided by MS.

I haven't seen any quotes from Phil referring to 12TF -- where have you seen this?

Quick google search and you are right. Man I thought this was confirmed. 

27 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

He's only said 'do the math' and gave multipliers if I'm not mistaken.

So when we do the math, we’re over eight times the GPU power of the Xbox One, and two times what an Xbox One X is.”

Xbox One X is targeting around 12 teraflops (TF) of computing power, compared to the Xbox One X’s 6TF, and the Xbox One S’s 1.4TF.

Developers have got to have dev kits of both by now. I know Sony got theirs out sooner, but since MS has already got a form factor and Phil Spencer says he's already been playing his at home, some devs have got to have kits by now.

I realize that dev kits can change as console specs change, but there's got to be a ballpark on each of these by now. It's only a matter of time before the developers start whispering to the media.

This whole tightly controlling leaks this time around thing is bullshit. Let some good stuff spill already. But we do have "insider" information basically confirming the 12TF for the X, and we have literally nothing like that at all for the PS5 other than people saying both consoles are close in power.