BO Report: Rise of Skywalker earns $175.5m, the lowest of the sequel trilogy, but the third highest December opening (below 7 and 8)

SaysWho?

Original estimates had this around $190m, which would still have opened lower, but this is much lower than TFA and TLJ.

With a $175.5 million three-day debut, Disney's Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker delivered the third largest December opening of all-time. While the performance tops the studio's conservative, $165 million opening, many, including BoxOfficeMojo, expected the film to top $200 million for the weekend and the slide to $175.5 million is a bit below where expectations were just yesterday, when it appeared the film would open anywhere from $190-195 million after Friday estimates. The slide began following the film's opening day, which was pretty much on par with recent Star Wars releases, which saw preview grosses making up 44% of the film's opening day. However, it is the only Star Wars release of the five released by Disney thus far, to see the Friday gross make up over 50% of the film's total opening weekend, which brings into question what kind of impact word of mouth will have on the film's final gross.

Saturday drop was steep, and the CinemaScore is a B+, lower than The Last Jedi's and The Force Awakens's scores (meaning audiences aren't as enthused with it as they were Episodes 7 and 8).

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2019W51/?ref_=bo_hm_rw

On the other hand, Knives Out has a hell of a hold.

35 minutes ago, Reputator said:

If you like wink wink, nudge nudge.... "Hey guys remember THESE things from Star Wars! That's what you like, right??"

There's a lot of that in there sure... but outside of that it's a solid well made flick. Like if someone didn't know anything about Star Wars, they could watch and enjoy that movie on its own merits. Probably even more than people who live and breath the franchise. That's why it has an higher audience score than Rise of Skywalker... because Solo is well made movie and Rise is a sloppily made mess of a film that caters to those very same neckbeards.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There's a lot of that in there sure... but outside of that it's a solid well made flick. Like if someone didn't know anything about Star Wars, they could watch and enjoy that movie on its own merits. Probably even more than people who live and breath the franchise. That's why it has an higher audience score than Rise of Skywalker... because Solo is well made movie and Rise is a sloppily made mess of a film that caters to those very same neckbeards.

Correct, if you didn't know much about Star Wars, and especially if you never saw one with Harrison Ford, that would probably greatly help your enjoyment of the movie. None of the actors are bad, none of the action is bad, none of the pacing or editing or anything is technically BAD. Just....paint by numbers and uninspired. And for it to only have baseline competent execution, the other pandering stuff is too much to overlook for me.

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

If you like wink wink, nudge nudge.... "Hey guys remember THESE things from Star Wars! That's what you like, right??"

Yeah I don’t really have the same hatred for nostalgia that the internet inexplicably has. So it didn’t really bother me. Especially from a film that’s referencing things from a film made over 30 years ago. 

Solo is a solid, fun, well made movie. Not everything needs to be some sprawling epic that reinvents the genre. 

30 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Correct, if you didn't know much about Star Wars, and especially if you never saw one with Harrison Ford, that would probably greatly help your enjoyment of the movie. None of the actors are bad, none of the action is bad, none of the pacing or editing or anything is technically BAD. Just....paint by numbers and uninspired. And for it to only have baseline competent execution, the other pandering stuff is too much to overlook for me.

Cool... but you're clearly not the general audience which is the point. JJ Abrams just made a movie for "The Fans" and look where that got him. Rise of Skywalker seems, at a glance, to be a response to all of the internet noise that The Last Jedi and Solo generated. And a lesser film was made. The point that I'm making is that maybe Disney would be better served by paying attention to what the actual data is telling them... you know, critics and audiences,  and not REDDIT posts by fans who, as I said,  will NEVER be pleased because Star Wars no longer makes them feel the way it did when they were 10 years old. It's fine you didnt like Solo. A lot of people did. 

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Cool... but you're clearly not the general audience which is the point. JJ Abrams just made a movie for "The Fans" and look where that got him. Rise of Skywalker seems, at a glance, to be a response to all of the internet noise that The Last Jedi and Solo generated. And a lesser film was made. The point that I'm making is that maybe Disney would be served by paying attention to what the actual data us telling them... you know, critics and audiences,  and not REDDIT posts by fans who, as I said,  will NEVER be pleased because Star Wars no longer makes them feel the way it did when they were 10 years old. It's fine you didnt like Solo. A lot of people did. 

I think I'm being painted to be this "hardcore fan" and I'm anything but. I think the Rebels show is the only thing I've seen that you haven't. I never read any books or comics, I wasn't much into the toys growing up... And frankly the pandering I'm talking about could be picked up by anyone that's at least SEEN the original trilogy, which is NOT a high bar to hurdle.

I'm not going to talk about ROTS (just realized that's the same initialism as Ep.3, hmm) before I've seen it. But as much blame as I'm seeing leveled at the hardcore fans for the quality of the film, YOU YOURSELF have said in other threads that many of its failings are technical in nature.

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Did you see RoS yet? I don't think I've heard your thoughts. 

12/27

Just remember, I am a big Steven Seagal fan, his action films in the 90's are some of the best action cinema ever. So does my opinion on RoS matter? I'm sure i'll like it even if it's dog-shit :)

6 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I think I'm being painted to be this "hardcore fan" and I'm anything but. I think the Rebels show is the only thing I've seen that you haven't. I never read any books or comics, I wasn't much into the toys growing up... And frankly the pandering I'm talking about could be picked up by anyone that's at least SEEN the original trilogy, which is NOT a high bar to hurdle.

I'm not going to talk about ROTS (just realized that's the same initialism as Ep.3, hmm) before I've seen it. But as much blame as I'm seeing leveled at the hardcore fans for the quality of the film, YOU YOURSELF have said in other threads that many of its failings are technical in nature.

Sorry, I didn't mean to paint you as a hardcore fanboy. I think that what I was trying to say is the same sentiment that caused the vocal internet to reject Solo and TLJ is what led to RoS and that film is less liked by everyone it seems.  So maybe the two films before it weren't as bad as the internet would have tou believe and they deserve a second watch. As far my feelings on RoS... yes it's sloppily edited and seems to be directed by someone who forgot he was making a big screen film and not a two and a half hour tv show, but its biggest problems come from them deciding to go all in on "pleasing the fans" and focusing more on fan service than making a cohesive film. That's it's biggest problem in my opinion. If they did feel so pressed to squeeze so much in, they probably wouldn't have edited it so sloppily.  BTW I noticed the initials too... also that the third film in each trilogy starts with an "R" ;)

6 minutes ago, ARZ said:

12/27

Just remember, I am a big Steven Seagal fan, his action films in the 90's are some of the best action cinema ever. So does my opinion on RoS matter? I'm sure i'll like it even if it's dog-shit :)

I like Segal's early movies too... Above The Law and Marked for Death are action classics. I'm not as big a film snob as you think and I have an encyclopedic knowledge of 80's and 90's B budget action flicks. For me Segal jumped the shark with Glimmer Man.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to paint you as a hardcore fanboy. I think that what I was trying to say is the same sentiment that caused the vocal internet to reject Solo and TLJ is what led to RoS and that film is less liked by everyone it seems.  So maybe the two films before it weren't as bad as the internet would have tou believe and they deserve a second watch. As far my feelings on RoS... yes it's sloppily edited and seems to be directed by someone who forgot he was making a big screen film and not a two and a half hour tv show, but its biggest problems come from them deciding to go all in on "pleasing the fans" and focusing more on fan service than making a cohesive film. That's it's biggest problem in my opinion. If they did feel so pressed to squeeze so much in, they probably wouldn't have edited it so sloppily.  BTW I noticed the initials too... also that the third film in each trilogy starts with an "R" ;)

I watched the YouTube video that was posted in one of the threads, The Guide to Watching TLJ, and yes, shock and awe, as much as I bashed that movie that video did give me some inspiration in maybe rewatching it.

Here's the thing though. Now that it seems we know the payoff at the end of the trilogy doesn't make the whole thing worth it, why should I go through all the mental effort of changing my own mind about Ep.8? If 9 were Endgame quality, sure, I'd give it an earnest try just so I can enjoy the trilogy as a whole more, but I feel like if they couldn't stick the landing, maybe its best to write this trilogy off and hope Johnson's next adventures give us the long throbbing lightsabers we're craving out of Star Wars.

20 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I like Segal's early movies too... Above The Law and Marked for Death are action classics. I'm not as big a film snob as you think and I have an encyclopedic knowledge of 80's and 90's B budget action flicks. For me Segal jumped the shark with Glimmer Man.

:ohsnap:

Don't think you're a snob at all, just blind when it comes to Rogue One :P

• Shocked 1

18 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I watched the YouTube video that was posted in one of the threads, The Guide to Watching TLJ, and yes, shock and awe, as much as I bashed that movie that video did give me some inspiration in maybe rewatching it.

Here's the thing though. Now that it seems we know the payoff at the end of the trilogy doesn't make the whole thing worth it, why should I go through all the mental effort of changing my own mind about Ep.8? If 9 were Endgame quality, sure, I'd give it an earnest try just so I can enjoy the trilogy as a whole more, but I feel like if they couldn't stick the landing, maybe its best to write this trilogy off and hope Johnson's next adventures give us the long throbbing lightsabers we're craving out of Star Wars.

I think you should still watch it. It doesn't quite stick the landing and is easily the weakest of the three sequel films, but it doesn't ruin the other two at all in my opinion. There's some entertaining stuff in there especially is you like the characters.  JJ just didnt finish strong... he kinda limped to the ending.

8 hours ago, Reputator said:

Ehh, I mean, I honestly think Rogue One/4/5/6/7/8 work well on their own. 9's entertaining enough, but you just have to keep your expectations low like @SFLUFAN's dating experiences to really get the most out of it (hey, HE said this, not me :p). 

Glad you gave that vid a watch! I've long since held Episode 8 will likely improve with the non-racist detractors since the neckbeard alt-right ones aren't worth it, anyway. One of my co-workers said he watched 8 again and "didn't hate it as much," and he ceded that there were more things he liked about it on a rewatch. I looked at him like Sidious like giphy.gif

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Ehh, I mean, I honestly think Rogue One/4/5/6/7/8 work well on their own. 9's entertaining enough, but you just have to keep your expectations low like @SFLUFAN's dating experiences to really get the most out of it (hey, HE said this, not me :p). 

Glad you gave that vid a watch! I've long since held Episode 8 will likely improve with the non-racist detractors since the neckbeard alt-right ones aren't worth it, anyway. One of my co-workers said he watched 8 again and "didn't hate it as much," and he ceded that there were more things he liked about it on a rewatch. I looked at him like Sidious like giphy.gif

Funny how after ROS the restraint and nuance of TLJ by comparison makes it feel elevated now as a Star Wars movie. lol 

29 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I already was. Always liked TLJ. Especially everything wit Kyl/Snoke, Kylo/Rey, and Rey/Skywalker. 

also <3Yoda

I loved seeing that kind of Yoda, too. PT Yoda was very serious, and while I think plenty of it was warranted (he wasn't joking while training Luke in ESB, so I get he's not comic relief), a little levity would have been in-character as we saw in the OT.

41 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

The only issue I had with Solo was the guy playing him looked more like a young Jack Nicholson rather than Harrison Ford. 

Anthony Ingruber was RIGHT THERE.

He also didn’t “act” much like a young Harrison Ford and so to me was not as convincing as a young Han Solo. I have to suspend disbelief kore for him more than anything else in a movie with space lasers and aliens. 

38 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

He also didn’t “act” much like a young Harrison Ford and so to me was not as convincing as a young Han Solo. I have to suspend disbelief kore for him more than anything else in a movie with space lasers and aliens. 

agreed. I thought he did a pretty bad Harrison Ford impersonation. I kept getting Dennis Quaid vibes from him

ROS’ first Monday was 29.2 million vs TLJ’s at 21.5 million. I think this is showing what I noted earlier, that ROS was hurt by Christmas being midweek directly after its opening weekend due to travel/last minute shopping. Will be interesting to see if that trend holds the rest of the week and into the movie’s second weekend.

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

agreed. I thought he did a pretty bad Harrison Ford impersonation. I kept getting Dennis Quaid vibes from him

I think I remember you saying that... or someone else did. I was just saying to a buddy the other day why didn't Disney use their de-ageing tech to do a young Solo movie WITH Harrison Ford. I wonder if it ever occurred to them.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think I remember you saying that... or someone else did. I was just saying to a buddy the other day why didn't Disney use their de-ageing tech to do a young Solo movie WITH Harrison Ford. I wonder if it ever occurred to them.

Between Harrison Ford’s fee and the cost to de-age him, that would have eaten up half their budget. 

Besides, it is possible they did ask, and Ford said no. He’s been openly wanting to be done with the character for a while. This movie being entirely about Solo doesn’t sound like something he would be interested in. 

I think the only reason he was in ROS was because it was a short scene, and it wasn’t about him. The entire scene was about Ben