Senua's Saga: Hellblade II - Information Thread, update (05/24): "Can Xbox Series S (and Steam Deck/ROG Ally) handle Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2?" (Digital Foundry technical analysis)

Pikachu

14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Wan't he supposed to be kind of a douche?

I can’t remember anymore if he actually was kind of a douche or if it was just that DmC had fans going rabid to the point of sending death threats and stirring up a big controversy that he made the Dante of DmC in his own image.

35d7qc5.jpg

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

I can’t remember anymore if he actually was kind of a douche or if it was just that DmC had fans going rabid to the point of sending death threats and stirring up a big controversy that he made the Dante of DmC in his own image.

35d7qc5.jpg

Maybe that was it...

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Senua's Saga: Hellblade II (21 May 2024) - Information Thread, update (05/10): "Senua's Psychosis Feature" video
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Senua's Saga: Hellblade II (21 May 2024) - Information Thread, update (05/20): Official Launch Trailer
Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

This is the game I've been looking forward to more than anything in the past... five years? I've read about it. I've googled it. I'm a prime target for any marketing campaign yet I haven't seen any marketing for this game. Makes me kind of worried.

Supposedly Microsoft only started marketing it a couple weeks ago.

• Sad 1

Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

This is the game I've been looking forward to more than anything in the past... five years? I've read about it. I've googled it. I'm a prime target for any marketing campaign yet I haven't seen any marketing for this game. Makes me kind of worried.

The relative lack of marketing hasn't gone unnoticed.  As far as I can tell, the marketing campaign only really began in earnest last week.

3 minutes ago, legend said:

Please be good. If this isn’t great I really worry about the dev. 

Since Microsoft can’t define what constitutes “good” and “successful”, the devs might as well be updating their resumes. 

• True 1

The first was an incredible experience, been looking forward to this since it was announced. Hoping for something really special, especially given how long its been in development. Was a big fan of Ninja Theory's Heavenly Sword, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West and the DmC: Devil May Cry one-off reboot.

Fun fact: Alex Garland (28 Days Later, Sunshine, Dredd, Ex Machina, etc.) contributed to the script of Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (enough to receive credit for it) and it shows. Game's story was solidly told.

I’m nervous for the company no matter what happens but I’m not nervous that the game won’t be an excellent sequel to one of my favorite games of all time. Bring it! 

Honestly since the main writer/director/co founder left right before release I wouldn’t be surprised if he saw the writing on the wall at MS and bounced. Maybe got enough money from the original sale to start a new company and hire back his staff after MS let’s them go!

11 minutes ago, stepee said:

Honestly since the main writer/director/co founder left right before release I wouldn’t be surprised if he saw the writing on the wall at MS and bounced.

You know I thought the same thing but the person you're referring to, Tameem Antoniades, said on his Instagram in a post that he has wanted to leave the company since Hellblade 1 came out, but "stayed on for 2 more years" to help with the transition of him leaving. He said this on April 5th when he announced he has left the company. What doesn't make sense about that to me is Hellblade 1 came out in August 2017. He just left the company. That doesn't add up to just "2 more years", that adds up to 6.5 more years. He stayed on an additional 4.5 more years than he planned to according to his post. Reading between the lines, you could argue that he wanted to see Hellblade II through to the end and does see the writing on the wall so he left right before release. It isn't the official reason he gave, but that's what I see. 

Edit: Well, according to SFLUFAN's post underneath mine it seems Tameem Antoniades may have left the company some time ago, matching up with the "2 more years" bit.

WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

874 likes, 89 comments - superninjatam on April 5, 2024: "Cat's out the bag! Yes, I've left Ninja Theory, the company I founded and led creatively for 20 years. Exhausted, proud and satisfied, I ...".

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

Honestly since the main writer/director/co founder left right before release I wouldn’t be surprised if he saw the writing on the wall at MS and bounced. Maybe got enough money from the original sale to start a new company and hire back his staff after MS let’s them go!

The situation involving Tameem Antoniades's departure from Ninja Theory is quite odd.  According to a Microsoft statement to Polygon, he was only involved in the "early stages" of Hellblade II's development and that he departed from Ninja Theory some time ago, but no one noticed for a couple of years that he wasn't seen in any developer videos whereas he was featured pretty prominently in them for previous releases.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The situation involving Tameem Antoniades's departure from Ninja Theory is quite odd.  According to a Microsoft statement to Polygon, he was only involved in the "early stages" of Hellblade II's development and that he departed from Ninja Theory some time ago, but no one noticed for a couple of years that he wasn't seen in any developer videos whereas he was featured pretty prominently in them for previous releases.

Well, that would explain the "2 more years" of his Instagram post I just referenced in my post above yours. If that's the case, then his post does make more sense if he's actually been gone awhile. Kind of a strange way by him and Microsoft/Ninja Theory to announce it this way rather than whenever it actually happened.

3 hours ago, Brian said:

Since Microsoft can’t define what constitutes “good” and “successful”, the devs might as well be updating their resumes. 

Yeah, the odds are not great regardless unless it sells like gangbusters, which it probably won't even if it's good. But it's at least better odds if it does well critically, and maybe given that MS already got a poor reception for closing studios they'll be a little more hesitant to do so again if does well? Maybe?? :nervous:

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 2:51 PM, stepee said:

35d7qc5.jpg

What a douche

1 hour ago, legend said:

Yeah, the odds are not great regardless unless it sells like gangbusters, which it probably won't even if it's good. But it's at least better odds if it does well critically, and maybe given that MS already got a poor reception for closing studios they'll be a little more hesitant to do so again if does well? Maybe?? :nervous:

There is hope but $70B says be cautious 

• True 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

According to Jez Corden, Microsoft has already greenlit Ninja Theory's next project, for whatever that's worth in light of recent events.

• Thanks 1

Game Information

Game Title: Senua's Saga: Hellblade II

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (May 21, 2024)
  • PC (May 21, 2024)

Developer: Ninja Theory

Publisher: Xbox Game Studios

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 82 average - 78% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

BaziCenter - Mohammad Talebian - Persian - 10 / 10

Although the original Hellblade was a unique addition to the action adventure genre at its time, it doesn't even come close to be comparable to Hellblade 2, as Ninja Theory's latest release is also their best yet. Hellblade 2 improved drastically over its predecessor while offering deep and engaging gameplay from start to finish and arguably the best visuals and sound design we've ever seen in a video game to date, making it the best Microsoft exclusive of the last decade.

Checkpoint Gaming - Charlie Kelly - 10 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is well worth the wait and is a serious game of the year contender. Senua's follow-up journey is the best exploration of mental health that we've seen in games to date, using incredibly striking visual imagery, metaphors and immersive soundscapes to have you feel right there next to her. In what has to be the most photo-realistic game of all time, you're guaranteed to be constantly taken by the hero's adventure as you take in the beautiful and often haunting Viking Iceland. Through mud and dirt, blood and bones, Senua and Ninja Theory in turn bare all to you, the player. A masterpiece, benchmark and magnum opus, Hellblade II is crucial storytelling you won't soon forget.

Eurogamer - Johnny Chiodini - 5 / 5

Hellblade 2 continues Senua's story with grace, confidence, surprising brutality and thundering conviction.

Gamerheadquarters - Jason Stettner - 10 / 10

Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II is an incredible technical achievement and the best looking game I’ve ever seen. To match that the story is well crafted, the combat feels visceral and the pacing is great.

GamesRadar+ - Jasmine Gould-Wilson - 5 / 5

A masterclass in technical and thematic maturity.

Hardcore Gamer - Thomas Kent - 5 / 5

Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2 is a beautifully-crafted experience that excels in storytelling, visual fidelity and auditory immersion. Ninja Theory’s dedication to a realistic and sensitive portrayal of psychosis sets a new standard in the industry. The accessibility features, cinematic approach and thoughtful combat mechanics ensure that it can be enjoyed by a diverse range of players. Whether you're a fan of the original Hellblade or a newcomer to the series, Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2 offers a deeply engaging and unforgettable experience. Its blend of realistic graphics, compelling narrative and innovative sound design makes it a standout title of the year.

Rectify Gaming - Tyler Nienburg - 10 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II emerges as a visual and storytelling masterpiece, and is unquestionably the best-looking game I've witnessed on Xbox Series X since its launch.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 10 / 10

An exceptionally well realized portrayal of Senua's struggle both real and praying on her fears, with brutal and satisfying combat and puzzles that require you to appreciate the world. It successfully continues what the first game started and improves upon almost every aspect.

The Outerhaven Productions - Jordan Andow - 5 / 5

Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II sets a new bar for performances and presentation. Combined with smart improvements to gameplay, it is arguably the most cinematic, immersive, story-driven experience we’ve ever seen.

Tom's Hardware Italia - Andrea Riviera - Italian - 10 / 10

What Ninja Theory has achieved transcends reality, creating a work that is practically perfect for what it aimed to be: an audiovisual adventure with a strong narrative component. Beyond state-of-the-art graphics and sound that will undoubtedly set a standard in the coming years, what truly astonishes is the maturity with which the team has taken an excellent game like the first Hellblade and molded it into something so qualitatively impressive that it becomes difficult to even describe. This elevates the medium to a new communicative level, capable of evoking emotions and surprising players from start to finish. Experiences like Hellblade 2, which leave a lasting impression on the soul, are few and far between in a generation, and we can only rejoice in seeing how the beautiful artistic vision of the Ninja Theory team has become a reality.

Too Much Gaming - Carlos Hernandez - 5 / 5

Hellblade 2 feels like a living, breathing shapeshifter, manipulating its surroundings around the player with precision and consistency, making it one of the most visually stunning video games of this generation. This is an amazing title that carefully balances its artistic and gaming ambitions, a masterpiece that I encourage any gamer to experience.

Twinfinite - Rowan Jones - 5 / 5

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is intense, captivating, and breathtaking. From the moment I began to play, the beauty and quality of this game has enthralled me. It was difficult at times to even consider it 'just a game'. I could spend long periods just admiring the textures and use of light and color. Even in simple moments when you are merely wandering a path or exploring a hut, it looks like a movie.

XboxEra - Jon Clarke - 10 / 10

Despite the backing of a company as large and as well-funded as Microsoft, Ninja Theory have, in my opinion, nurtured their independent spirit and kept it well and truly alive in every facet of Senua's Saga: Hellblade II. It's brutal. It's breath-taking. It's brilliant. If this is “Independent AAA”?

Sign me up for more.

The Games Machine - Nicholas Mercurio - Italian - 9.8 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is the crowning achievement of a team that has been able, over the last few years, to devote itself to every aspect of its work with particular and affectionate intensity, succeeding in the complex attempt to surpass what has been done in the past and outlining a production of great cultural depth. The production is touching, violent, brutal and physical, complete and brilliant. A must have.

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 95 / 100

Few games in recent times have been able to do what Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 has done: make me feel so engaged and immersed that I wish the feeling would never stop. It is a game that will keep you in constant awe throughout the playtime with its fantastic and mysterious story, incredible graphic and sound presentation and realistic and brutal combat that will keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time.

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 95 / 100

It has been a very long time since I played a game as assured, polished, and emotionally affecting as Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2.

Enternity.gr - Christos Chatzisavvas - Greek - 9.5 / 10

With Senua's Saga: Hellblade II, Ninja Theory builds the game it dreamed of, creating a title on a larger scale than any other.

GamingTrend - Cassie Peterson - 95 / 100

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is a stunning and immersive storytelling experience that really puts the player into the mind of its titular character. It's even more narratively-focused than the first game (not to its detriment), with a bigger emphasis on how Senua sees and interacts with the world around her. The whole experience from start to finish has been beyond memorable.

MondoXbox - Giuseppe Genga - Italian - 9.5 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is a true masterpiece: a deep and highly immersive narrative experience that manages to make us feel all the protagonist's torment within an impressively realistic world. Ninja Theory reveals itself to be one of the most valuable studios in the Xbox stable here, reaching levels of absolute excellence in graphics, audio, narration, and acting. A must-play.

SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 9.5 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is, at its core, a short game, but an excellent one. But it's not for everyone. It's a bloody and often disgusting experience based on strong emotions and immersion in a character that just won't let you go. It's more of an artistic experience than a traditional game.

Stevivor - Jay Ball - 9.5 / 10

Senua’s Saga Hellblade 2 is a video game only on its surface. Scratch that away and you’ll see that it’s a deep, thought-provoking, interactive experience proving games are an art form that demands skill and talent. Ninja Theory should be very proud.

ZdobywcyGier.eu - Bartosz Michalik - Polish - 9.5 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is undoubtedly one of the best games of this year. Not only does it shine in terms of audio-visual setting, but also in terms of story. The only element that could be considered caveat is at the same time its greatest asset, namely cinematography. Sometimes one gets the impression that the developers, in an effort to achieve the best possible effect, had to make a lot of compromises, which significantly limited the gameplay possibilities. Nevertheless, for a great narrative and immersion, this is something to turn a blind eye to.

Generación Xbox - Pedro del Pozo - Spanish - 9.3 / 10

Ninja Theory manages to place Senua in the Olympus of videogames with the most visually and sonorously powerful game we have seen so far. A spectacular, stunning and awe-inspiring journey.

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 9 / 10

Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II is one of the year’s best games and the best reason to boot up your Xbox Series X.

Digital Chumps - Nathaniel Stevens - 9 / 10

Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II from developer Ninja Theory and publisher Xbox Game Studios proves there is more story to tell from Senua’s journey, and that the story is still centric to the game. The sequel extends and expands Senua’s character, opens her world to more possibilities, and maintains its quest to replicate and address mental health issues and disorders caused by trauma. The gameplay mechanics and action are still essentially the same as the first title, although those elements appear to be far smoother in their execution and less of a drag to the story.

Entertainment Geekly - Luis Alvaro - 4.5 / 5

“Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II” is a remarkable achievement in storytelling and game design, and a reminder of what is possible when creativity and technology unite in perfect harmony. It won’t convince the naysayers of the previous title, but if the first clicked, this unique and unforgettable journey will absolutely land hard.

Game Informer - Marcus Stewart - 9 / 10

Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II’s conclusion ends on another strong note, and despite my initial reservations about continuing Senua’s story, I walked away happy to see her conquer new monsters, both literal and metaphorical.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 9 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 improves on its predecessor in numerous ways, making it a must-play for fans of dark, cinematic adventure games. Visually it's unparalleled, offering photo-realistic characters and environments, and its audio design is spectacular, too. It's just a shame that its combat gets repetitive all too quickly – but in the grand scheme of things, it's a small price to pay.

Gamers Heroes - Johnny Hurricane - 90 / 100

Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II is a classic example of the old mantra: get past the start, and you’ll love it. If you have Xbox Game Pass, you have no reason not to try this game.

Glitched Africa - Marco Cocomello - 9 / 10

Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II is a technical masterpiece and a decent narrative-driven experience. Sure, some characters and story arcs feel underdeveloped but hopefully, there’s more to come. I don’t think Hellblade II will change the industry and I don’t think we’ll be talking about it in five years, but right now, it is likely the most relevant game you can play.

IGN Spain - Rafa Del Río - Spanish - 9 / 10

Senua's saga: Hellblade II breaks the video game frontier by offering an experience unlike anything we've experienced before, including Senua's Sacrifice. Its bravery in making decisions that are initially unpopular leaves us with a terribly personal and unique work in which Ninja Theory once again shows its veteranship by profiling female and male characters whose strength lies in their fragility and in all the flaws, fears and weaknesses that make us human.

Impulsegamer - Gareth Newnham - 4.5 / 5

A brilliant sequel that's bound to be doing the rounds come awards season.

One More Game - Chris Garcia - 9 / 10

Hellblade 2 is a triumph in masterful storytelling and impeccable audio design for Ninja Theory. It is an emotionally powerful experience that depicts a sensitive subject that is hardly talked about in the medium.

To achieve this, the game stripped out several features and systems like combat and exploration in favor of a deeper narrative affair. This is not for everyone, but it is something I would encourage everyone to try at least try out.

PCGamesN - Cheri Faulkner - 9 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 is an impeccable story of coming to terms with trauma and making difficult decisions, punctuated by moments of outstanding beauty and strength.

Pixel Arts - Danial Dehghani - Persian - 9 / 10

Hellblade 2 is a stellar example of a sequel done right, building on the elements that made the original a landmark in gaming. It stays true to its roots, prioritizing depth and atmosphere over broad appeal. Fans of the first game will find much to love here, as it remains a unique and compelling experience. However, if the original didn't resonate with you, Hellblade 2 follows a similar path and might not change your mind.

Press Start - Brodie Gibbons - 9 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is yet another arresting, artful chapter in an adventure now two games long. Though it might approach iteration with a very safe hand, only going so far as to correct the original's shortcomings, Ninja Theory's clear strengths in story craft, audiovisual design, as well as their care for the dark subject matter manage to shine through brighter than ever before.

Screen Rant - Garrett Ettinger - 4.5 / 5

Horrifying, uplifting, and visually splendid, Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 is a marked improvement over the first title that helps build upon the meaningful and complex concepts presented in the first game.

Seasoned Gaming - Ainsley Bowden - 9 / 10

Senua's Saga is a journey unlike any other. It's fantastical, evocative, and demonstrative of Ninja Theory being masters of their craft.

Shacknews - TJ Denzer - 9 / 10

Hellblade 2 still does incredibly well. The new story is weighty, the audio is exceptional, the scenery is ridiculously dense and rich, and the combat feels intense and impactful in new and interesting ways.

Siliconera - Brent Koepp - 9 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II raises the bar of narrative games, as it delivers a cinematic experience with groundbreaking audio and gameplay.

TrueAchievements - Sean Carey - 9 / 10

Ninja Theory has created an outstanding sequel with Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2. An unforgettable narrative adventure that is brought to life through impeccable sound design, fantastic visuals, and a story that will stick with you long after the final credits roll. Hellblade 2 is one of the best games Xbox has to offer.

VideoGamer - Tom Bardwell - 9 / 10

Though uncomfortably bleak and distressing, Hellblade 2 is something truly special.

Windows Central - Zachary Boddy - 4.5 / 5

A game like Senua's Saga: Hellblade II can only be the result of years of passion and talent, captivating you with its unbelievable visuals, impeccable audio design, and powerful thought-provoking narrative. It's a veritable masterpiece, but it's just shy of perfection thanks to an average PC port and some minor criticisms.

Xbox Achievements - Dan Webb - 90%

While Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2 might not set any new standards with its simplistic gameplay mechanics, from an audio-visual experience standpoint, it's frankly quite a stunning experience. Hellblade 2 is as close to playing the leading role in a big budget movie as you’re likely to get, and Ninja Theory’s continued coverage on the complexities of severe mental health issues deserves to be commended once more. Bravo, Ninja Theory. Bravo.

GAMES.CH - Olaf Bleich - German - 89%

The game sucks you skin and hair into its fantasy world and creates such an intense bond with the characters and their stories that you want to know at every second how the adventure ends.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Murat Oktay - Turkish - 89 / 100

The chaotic story of Senua continues. We set out to take revenge on the Viking raiders who have inflicted devastating losses on the people of Orkney.

Gamepressure - Dariusz Matusiak - 8.5 / 10

Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2 is a fantastic game, but probably not for everyone. It appears to be a next-generation title in every aspect; impressive with its ever-changing Icelandic landscapes, realistic photogrammetry, lighting, particle effects, character movement animations, acting, and intriguing storyline. The combat is brutal, and the voices constantly heard by Senua sound as if we are hearing them in our own heads.

INVEN - Soojin Kim - Korean - 8.5 / 10

The game's high level of immersion makes you want to play it from start to finish in one sitting. With outstanding audiovisual presentation and effects, it gives the feeling that you're playing a movie, not watching it. However, the gameplay elements, such as combat and puzzles, still lack significant meaning, which leads to rather disappoint feelings.

LevelUp - Víctor Rosas - Spanish - 8.5 / 10

In the end, Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is a steady and safe step. Ninja Theory didn't complicate their existence and honored their own idea of creating a sequel for fans of the first game, not someone else. Hence, it is familiar territory for those who lived through the first part. As a work with indie essence and AAA production values, it fulfills its mission, and although its flaws and limitations are evident, they do not diminish its concept and the strong potential it has to generate emotions, demonstrating that the medium can take other paths beyond the traditional. Yes, Hellblade II is more than just a video game: it's a great audio-visual experience that doesn't betray itself; A work that deserves your time and your feelings.

Multiplayer First - 8.5 / 10

Hellblade 2 is more of a good thing, a thing that started with the first game and doesn’t change a winning formula. Admittedly, it’s not a formula that is going to win over everyone, but the limited gameplay is offset by the stunning visual and aural work, the entrancing journey into psychosis with the voices constantly messing with Senua’s ambitions and insecurities, and an overall cinematic feel that very few games manage to rival.

Gamersky - 心灵奇兵 - Chinese - 8.2 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II remains a maverick in the gaming world. While its gameplay has not evolved from the first game, it has expanded on the aspects that set it apart from mainstream games: more realistic graphics, more moving performances, and an even more immersive depiction of psychosis that resonates deeply with players.

This interactive film style game is very niche and I don't think everyone will appreciate it. However, there must be creators who make such games, and these games must exist. They allow those who live in a different reality every day to be seen and understood by more people.

Arabhardware - Ahmed Yousry - Arabic - 8 / 10

Despite offering the best visual experience and a legendary story, the gameplay systems of Senua's Saga: Hellblade II hinder the final result. But it's still a worthy Viking tale that you'll enjoy!

Atomix - Alberto Desfassiaux - Spanish - 80 / 100

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is a fantastic experience and a great sequel, but it is one the finishes rapidly and without a warning.

Daily Mirror - Scott McCrae - 4 / 5

Though Hellblade 2 has the power to force your jaw open and give you goosebumps, too often the whole project ends up feeling like a very expensive tech demo – an absolute tour de force of technical achievement bogged down in its own sense of gravitas and mystery. Keeping you off the stick for so many of its most impactful moments, and not giving you enough to play with when you do have control, hobbles the potential of this visual and aural masterpiece enough to make the whole experience feel like it was constantly trying to find a foothold on that dread Icelandic scree, and never really getting to its feet until you come staggering over the finish line.

Digital Spy - Jess Lee - 4 / 5

It isn't perfect and whether or not it surpasses its predecessor is up for debate – this is a story that is different in scope – but Hellblade 2 is one of the standout experiences of the year so far and has been worth the wait.

Digital Trends - Tomas Franzese - 4 / 5

Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 is a visual stunner for Xbox even if its gameplay isn't too creative.

Digitec Magazine - Philipp Rüegg - German - 4 / 5

Ninja Theory tells a gripping and adult story in a surreal world that is incredibly beautiful to look at despite its horrors. If you like cinematically staged games with a gripping story, go for it.

Everyeye.it - Giuseppe Arace - Italian - 8 / 10

Hellblade 2 doesn't have the enchantment of the first whisper.

Game Rant - Anthony Taormina - 4 / 5

There is simply nothing else like Hellblade 2 on the market and that alone kept me enthralled the whole way through. Its pared-down elements might not be mechanically complex, but they give the story a momentum that makes it hard to put down. Ninja Theory tackles themes that are challenging and not often seen in games, with a backdrop that vacillates between the epic and the intimate. It's approach doesn't have widespread appeal, but Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2 is as close to an interactive movie as we’ve seen yet.

Gaming Age - Brendan Reilly - 8 / 10

With its unique presentation, cinematic narrative with amazing storytelling, game-changing visuals, beautiful sound design, and digestible length, Xbox Games Studios and Ninja Theory have a successful franchise on their hands.

GamingBolt - Shubhankar Parijat - 8 / 10

Hellblade 2 sticks to what its predecessor was good at, delivering a technically, visually, and narratively impressive experience, even if it's one that feels a bit too familiar and straightforward from a gameplay perspective.

IGN - Tristan Ogilvie - 8 / 10

Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II is another Viking-worthy feast for the senses that meets the high bar set by its predecessor, even if it never really manages to clear it.

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 80 / 100

While the story & gameplay's broad strokes might be familiar, Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2's execution, perspective, and overall production values are just stellar and highlights Ninja Theory's strengths in delivering what it does best: story-heavy cinematic gaming. The characters are fleshed out and well-written, with proper focus on your main character and her turmoils that carry over from the first game, the fighting feels weighty and challenging without being completely frustrating, and the HUD-less approach to presentation is welcome.

Nexus Hub - Sam Aberdeen - 8 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is the best-looking game we've ever played - a true visual powerhouse backed by an emotionally charged story and gripping dark fantasy setting, if you can look past some of its shortcomings.

Oyungezer Online - Onur Kaya - Turkish - 8 / 10

Next gen graphics and presentation is now among us, next gen game design on the other hand, will be running late.

TrueGaming - عمر العمودي - Arabic - 8 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is a technical achievement for the gaming industry, the visuals are impressive and realistic in a way we haven't seen before and the audio design is very impressive.

The game itself though, we think it could've offered more as puzzles are repetitive and combat is quite limited. However, the storytelling is strong in this chapter of Senua's journey, though it feels heavy and depressing.

Wccftech - Alessio Palumbo - 8 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II keeps virtually the same scope and structure of the independent triple-A game made in 2017 by Ninja Theory. The story is just as poignant, the visuals are stunning, and the experience is one that every Game Pass user should check out for themselves. However, those hoping for a more traditional game in the vein of the God of War reboot will inevitably be disappointed, and this is unlikely to have nearly that level of success, which is what Microsoft still desperately needs.

Cerealkillerz - Steve Brieller - German - 7.9 / 10

If you expect an immersive but not so interactive “game”, Senua’s Saga Hellblade II delivers a short yet intense experience. Ninja Theory has once again skillfully created an impressive atmosphere, as they did in Senua’s Sacrifice. Unfortunately, the issues remain as well: Puzzles and combat are too easy and there is no variety in either. So please keep in mind, that this is more a Hellblade 1.5 than a true sequel.

GamePro - Tobias Veltin - German - 78 / 100

Short, but furiously staged and audiovisually impressive adventure that leaves much to be desired in terms of gameplay and narrative.

Spaziogames - Gianluca Arena - Italian - 7.6 / 10

Senua's Saga is as strong as its predecessor, if not more, and delivers both in its storytelling and on the technical side. The gameplay, however, has still a lot of room for improvements and boils down to almost-QTE combat and boring puzzles. An experience more than an actual and so-called video game, but an experience worth living nonetheless.

But Why Tho? - Mick Abrahamson - 7.5 / 10

Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II won’t be for everyone. But if you are looking for a brutal continuation of a fantastic story that feels like you’re actually playing a movie, you’ll have a great time here.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 7.5 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is a good sequel with some excellent acting and gorgeous visuals, but the pacing struggles quite a bit.

Post Arcade (National Post) - Chad Sapieha - 7.5 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 by Ninja Theory is a short but emotionally gruelling game that left our reviewer exhausted. Find out more.

TechRaptor - Robert Scarpinito - 7.5 / 10

Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II features intense audio, beautiful graphics, and wonderful camera work, creating a powerful presentation that’s worth experiencing. However, the narrative doesn’t quite stick the landing.

WayTooManyGames - Leonardo Faria - 7.5 / 10

Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II is a tricky beast. On one hand, I was impressed by the realistic visuals, the voice acting, the music, and Senua’s growth as a character. On the other hand, its pacing was awkward, even though it was short. It suffered from a lackluster third act. It’s pretentious, to an arrogant degree. It was also quite devoid of gameplay, focusing more on spectacle than substance.

CGMagazine - Justin Wood - 7 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 starts incredibly strong in the first half, but after certain revelations, the story speeds up to a point where the conclusion feels rushed and half-baked.

Forbes - Paul Tassi - 7 / 10

I enjoyed many parts of Hellblade 2, and there are some environmental/music sequences in particular, one near the beginning, the other nearer to the middle, that are going to stay with me a while due to the absolute crushing, horrifying, intense atmosphere paired with amazing audio. But as a game? Something I enjoyed playing? Generally speaking, no, it wasn’t really for me.

Gameblog -  _SutterCane - French - 7 / 10

Ninja Theory took a very big risk with Hellblade 2, and the gamble paid off in part. By moving away from the extreme darkness of the first game, the studio avoids taking the easy way out or creating a feeling of repetition. Now, the title also has a more conformist form, a rhythm, dispensable NPCs and certain flaws that have only been ironed out, which may not appeal as much as the more intimate, anxiety-inducing first experience. A interesting game, but not a fantastic sequel or the masterpiece it could have been.

Hobby Consolas - Álvaro Alonso - Spanish - 70 / 100

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is the greatest graphical marvel that can be found on consoles, but in terms of gameplay it doesn't measure up and even falls short of the first. Yes, his "graphs" are going to leave you with your jaw on the floor from start to finish... It is a pity that the same cannot be said of other sections.

IGN Italy - Francesco Destri - Italian - 7 / 10

While graphically Senua's Saga: Hellblade II offers memorable glimpses and moments, anything beyond the visual impact and the dark and fierce atmosphere is disappointing, especially for a sequel announced five years ago on which Microsoft bet big.

MMORPG.com - Jason Fanelli - 7 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 is best experienced for yourself, not spoiled by a friend or watched on a YouTube channel. To fully understand what it's trying to do, you need to hear those voices for yourself, feel that anguish and pain as it happens, and continue to press on through it. It's a powerful game with a powerful message, even if some parts of it aren't as engaging as the rest. Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 requires your patience; if you provide it, you will be rewarded handsomely.

New Game Network - Alex Varankou - 70 / 100

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II keeps the basics intact, and while a strong lead character, great animations, and simple but enjoyable combat continue to deliver, the poor pacing and performance issues prevent this sequel from breaking free of its past.

Pure Xbox - PJ O'Reilly - 7 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 is the best-looking video game we've ever played. It sounds incredible, Melina Juergens acts herself inside out, and on a purely technical level this is just next-level stuff all round. However, we still don't feel as though extending Senua's plight into a Saga is a good idea. We remain unconvinced, and it's because this sequel feels like diminishing returns, as we had worried it might. It's not as vital or as unique in 2024, and it goes for bombast as a means of smoothing things over, resulting in a good game, an interesting eight hour romp, but nothing that screams must-play. Weak combat and dull puzzles are just more salt in these wounds, unfortunately.

Slant Magazine - Justin Clark - 3.5 / 5

The newest chapter in Senua’s story is powerfully told but feels like it’s missing a few pages.

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 7 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is a beautiful but ultimately hollow game. The fantastic presentation props up a story that is less personal and engaging than in the first game, and the gameplay feels like an afterthought. It was great to see Senua again and to see her outside of the grief-misery she was enveloped in during the first game, but beyond that, there's not much to Hellblade II. It's a short and less memorable experience that shows off Ninja Theory's visual craft to its fullest - but it achieves little else.

Washington Post - Gene Park - 63 / 100

At $50 and about six to eight hours of play total, “Hellblade II” is worth a peek if you’re interested in what games could look like in the future. Imagine an “Elden Ring” that looks like this! Will I live long enough to see it? So I’m grateful “Hellblade II” exists today to give me a glimpse. I just wish it had a little more to say, and gave us a little more to do.

AnaitGames - Víctor Manuel Martínez García - Spanish - 6 / 10

Ninja Theory returns to Senua's universe with a sequel brimming with technical virtues that coexist with the loss of focus on what it is trying to tell.

Dexerto - Carver Fisher - 3 / 5

If you’re looking for a cool and fairly unique experience and you’ve got Game Pass, then Hellblade 2 could be worth your time. Its visual splendor and highlight moments are worth experiencing. But, if you haven’t played the original Hellblade yet? Do yourself a favor and go play that instead. In all ways except visual, it’s a better game.

GameMAG - Russian - 6 / 10

Ninja Theory has failed to take a noticeable step forward since the original. In Senua's Saga: Hellblade II, the developers buried the original idea of mixing mythology and mental disorders, giving their own variation of God of War.

The sequel turned out to be linear and very colorful. However, the primitive gameplay and absolutely empty ending leave the player exhausted and disappointed.

GameSpot - Jess Cogswell - 6 / 10

Hellblade 2 is perhaps the most visually remarkable Xbox title to date, but is ultimately undermined by its emphasis on fidelity over story and gameplay.

TheGamer - Stacey Henley - 3 / 5

It's easy to focus on Hellblade 2's flaws because they are so surface level. Combat is repetitive and made an unnecessary focal point. The extra characters dilute instead of adding. I'm still not sure what Hellblade thinks it is, or wants to be. But deeper than that, there is some quality worth rooting for - an interesting protagonist powered by a brilliant performance, ingenious use of the environment for exploration and puzzles, a true electric miracle of motion capture unfolding before our eyes. The temptation is to look at this, at the victories Ninja Theory finds as it flounders to keep pace with the biggest hitters, and wonder what the team could do with a lot more money behind it. But when you consider it keeps getting tangled up in its own triple-A Halloween costume, maybe the question is to wonder what magic it could work with less.

VG247 - Dom Peppiatt - 3 / 5

Though Hellblade 2 has the power to force your jaw open and give you goosebumps, too often the whole project ends up feeling like a very expensive tech demo – an absolute tour de force of technical achievement bogged down in its own sense of gravitas and mystery. Keeping you off the stick for so many of its most impactful moments, and not giving you enough to play with when you do have control, hobbles the potential of this visual and aural masterpiece enough to make the whole experience feel like it was constantly trying to find a foothold on that dread Icelandic scree, and never really getting to its feet until you come staggering over the finish line.

WellPlayed - James Wood - 6 / 10

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is an achievement in visual fidelity but fails to define itself amid clumsy retreads and unengaging new ideas.

PC Gamer - Robin Valentine - 58 / 100

Despite its greater scale and visual splendour, this sequel fails to escape the shadow of its predecessor with a muddled tale that Senua herself feels out of place in.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 5 / 10

A joyless slog of barely interactive entertainment and a muddled portrayal of mental illness… that just so happens to have the best graphics ever on a video game console.

The Beta Network - Anthony Culinas - 5 / 10

Hellblade II is an unequivocally bland game, with repetitive combat and puzzles that lack any overarching sense of excitement.

ACG - Jeremy Penter - Buy

Video Review - Quote not available

Console Creatures - Patrick Tremblay - Recommended

With Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2, Ninja Theory shows that video games can be more than simple entertainment: they can be profound artistic and emotional explorations, capable of touching and transforming those who play them. This is an unforgettable journey into the heart of Iceland's darkness, where every step of Senua is a step towards self-discovery.

Echo Boomer - David Fialho - Portuguese - Essential

Ninja Theory has finally delivered the long-awaited and provocative sequel to Hellblade, with one of the most impressive interactive cinematic experiences of the generation, which makes you question what is real and leaves you dreaming of the graphic potential of future games still on current consoles.

Kotaku - Claire Jackson - Unscored

A spellbinding meditation on anguish and compassion, Hellblade II delivers one of the most gripping interactive and sensory experiences of 2024

La Orden del Pixel - Sebastian Cigarreta - Spanish - Yes

With Hellblade 2, Ninja Theory proves that it knows how to tell a complex and compelling story, elevating the original experience in every way and setting the bar higher than ever. A true new generation narrative adventure in which all its components serve a common purpose. From the presentation, to the absence of tutorials, to each of the battles, they all play an essential role in the construction of an intense plot, leaving us ready for the final outcome.

Nerfeados - David Infante - Spanish - Unscored

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is a visually stunning game with a fantastic sound work to creative a brilliant audiovisual landscape. Unfortunately, the gameplay mostly takes a backseat (for better or worse) and at times can feel repetitive even with the game short duration. 

That being said, is an ideal experience for fans of the original.

Polygon - Yussef Cole - Unscored

Where the first game felt like a journey of self-discovery, both for Senua and for the player, Hellblade 2 feels more invested in creating the myth of Senua: Senua as legendary giant slayer, as mystical seer touched by the underworld.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Rick Lane - Unscored

A more uncompromising version of the first game, Hellblade 2 offers a well told story and immaculate presentation. But it's also even simpler, to the point where it treats interaction like an inconvenience.

The Escapist - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

TheSixthAxis - Dominic Leighton - Unscored

Just like its forbear, Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II is an oppressive, powerful and haunting example of the power of video games, and one that sets its own parameters for what a digital experience can be. It is a game that must be experienced, not least because, there’s nothing else quite like it.

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Senua's Saga: Hellblade II - Information Thread, update (05/21): reviews from OpenCritic posted

The bad reviews complaints seem to be almost solely based around that “iT’s NoT bEtTeR tHaN tHe FiRsT gAmE”. Like, holy fuck, so let’s give it a 60%. :lol: (Also seems to be from people who didn’t like the first game)

Sounds like on its own the game is an 85-95%

• True 1

I was hoping the combat would be much improved over the awful combat in the first game.

But it appears that interactivity in general is something Ninja Theory abhors.

WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Our Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 review explains the good and bad of Ninja Theory's third-person action sequel, which doubles down on the original in every way.

played through the first part. im enjoying it. however this is the first gamepass game im playing on my newish PC and some things seem off. I was getting color changes from a redish hue and back to the grey. not too sure if that was intentional in the game or something else going on. i have in-game hdr disabled bc it seems like its adding hdr on top of windows hdr. and even with it off, im getting a lot of black crush. what settings is everyone using?  also - wanted to play with my controller and it was acting bonkers. I had to turn it off.