PlayStation 4 controller - rubber degradation

gamer.tv

I'm sure any PlayStation 4 owner has suffered this.  Where the thumb stick rubber will wear away and look disgusting.  To rectify, do the little thumbstick covers work well or would it be better to just buy a new controller.

Not to say the don't work, bit I just hate the way it looks.

I use Grip-iT covers on my sticks so I've never had the issue.  Bought them back when I heard the launch controllers were wearing quickly and have been using them since as I prefer the feel of the sticks with them on.  They hold up very well too.  Have one that's starting to slip off the stick and I've had it on my controller for 5 years now. 

4 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I'm sure any PlayStation 4 owner has suffered this.  Where the thumb stick rubber will wear away and look disgusting.  To rectify, do the little thumbstick covers work well or would it be better to just buy a new controller.

Not to say the don't work, bit I just hate the way it looks.

These are the kinds I bought. They don't fall off easily and they actually look nice on the controller. I've had them for around three years now and don't regret the purchase.

43 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Supposedly they have improved this in subsequent models but I’ve never seen anything official about that.

I can confirm the new Gold PS4 controller I bought, like, last year or the year prior has worked fantastically. It was definitely fixed for me.

My first controller had this issue and I went ahead and opened it up and replaced the sticks with after market ones, but I also bought rubber covers for it. I personally hate how the PS4 thumbsticks feel on my thumbs. After some use the PS4 sticks become slippery to me from my thumbs oil and sweat. After using the rubber covers the feel of the sticks were a whole lot better with a lot of grip. Look at amazon, they sells some for around 5-10 bucks. I now have 3 PS4 controllers and all of them have rubber covers.